Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:59 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 749 [9]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [3]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [1]
Send PM
Re: The parents of a baby born with spina bifida say that had [#permalink]
Kudos
TehJay wrote:
I chose (A), but can anyone explain how you're supposed to determine between (A) and (B) here? The only difference between them is in the meaning of the sentence and not in the grammar -in (A) the parents say they would have considered aborting, while sentence (B) says they definitely would have aborted. The only reason I was able to pick (A) was because all of the other answers used "might", but how can they ask you to determine whether some hypothetical parents MIGHT or DEFINITELY WOULD HAVE done something in a question like this?

TehJay,
As I said, B uses double condition - Which is grammatically wrong.
And about the attitude of parents in question..no comments..we are just here to correct the sentence :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
piyatiwari wrote:
TehJay wrote:
I chose (A), but can anyone explain how you're supposed to determine between (A) and (B) here? The only difference between them is in the meaning of the sentence and not in the grammar -in (A) the parents say they would have considered aborting, while sentence (B) says they definitely would have aborted. The only reason I was able to pick (A) was because all of the other answers used "might", but how can they ask you to determine whether some hypothetical parents MIGHT or DEFINITELY WOULD HAVE done something in a question like this?

TehJay,
And about the attitude of parents in question..no comments..we are just here to correct the sentence :)

pls explain the words which signify the double condition ...the only difference in A and B is in the use of words might and would ...thanx
BTW i picked A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [0]
 Q50  V42
Send PM
piyatiwari wrote:
TehJay wrote:

TehJay,

What's grammatically wrong about it? I don't understand what you mean by "double condition." The only difference between the two choices is "might have" vs. "would have" - in (A), if the parents had known, they would have considered doing something, while in (B), if the parents had known, they definitely would have done something. The grammar is the same, but the intent of the parents is different.

If (B) is grammatically incorrect, what needs to be changed to make it correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
What's grammatically wrong about it? I don't understand what you mean by "double condition." The only difference between the two choices is "might have" vs. "would have" - in (A), if the parents had known, they would have considered doing something, while in (B), if the parents had known, they definitely would have done something. The grammar is the same, but the intent of the parents is different.

b. had they known (Condition 1) the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain, they would have (Condition 2)chosen to abort the pregnancy - Wrong. Double condition

To make it grammatically correct we need to remove one conditional statement. Either the first one or the second one. Removing 1st one makes the sentence kinda awkward. So we choose option A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [1]
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Kudos
piyatiwari wrote:
Quote:

b. had they known (Condition 1) the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain, they would have (Condition 2)chosen to abort the pregnancy - Wrong. Double condition

To make it grammatically correct we need to remove one conditional statement. Either the first one or the second one. Removing 1st one makes the sentence kinda awkward. So we choose option A.

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand what you mean by double condition. I don't see anything wrong with "Had they known... would have." It's the exact same sentence construct as "Had they known... MIGHT have."

If "Had they known... they would have" is an incorrect sentence, how would you reword it to convey the same meaning (that if they had known some piece of information, they MOST DEFINITELY would have done something about it) in a grammatically correct way? And why is that wrong, while saying "Had they known... they might have" (if they had known some piece of information, IT IS POSSIBLE they would have done something about it) is correct?

Not trying to be difficult.. I just don't see the difference here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [1]
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Kudos
piyatiwari wrote:
:) I don't know whats not there to understand. I've been using this approach n got right answers almost every time. The concept is getting complicated here. Glad that our answer choices are same!

Can anyone else explain this then? I just googled this issue and got results agreeing with me that "Had they known... they would have" is perfectly correct grammar...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
For sure B changes the meaning, so A is right. I also couldn't understand the double condition logic to eliminate B, by the way.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I also think B will change the meaning so went for A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I have one Q for piyatiwari : How is it that MIGHT is not a condition and WOULD is one? Could u please clarify?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
Send PM
What is the Source of this question, and are such questions expected where almost 3 choices are gramatically correct ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Schools:ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
 Q48  V24 GMAT 2: 610  Q48  V27
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Send PM
rafi wrote:
Thanks for the detailed answer!

Dear Rafi
please cite the source
as it will help us
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
This topic is not listed as sourced from either GPREP or OG. Is there any OA or OE?
My reckoning is that, in such past conditional sentences , wherein the conditional part is some thing that was missed, meaning that the parent did not somehow know in the past the future problems of the child, a hypothetical setting of missed occurrence , then the main cluse should be expressed in the future modal would. The formulaic application of If X happens/ happened, then Y will happen / would happen is the right form. IMO, therefore the text is flawed by using the speculative modal 'might' and Chocie B is the only logical one that rectifies the error. I see no reason to drop it on grounds of altered intent.

Also I see no difference between A and C in that they are both bad.

Incidentally, and curiously, can somebody cite in GMAT, an instance where the topic has used the modal ‘might’ in its main sentence rather than the definitive ‘would’?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Picked B

But agree that since A is grammatically correct, we should not go for B which alters the meaning
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
Can someone please help me understand why we are not going with if...then options here? And why we considered "Would have" wrong, it is grammatically correct and makes perfect sense. Eg: If I had wings, I would fly.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35501 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
THIS QUESTION HAS MORE THAN ONE CORRECT ANSWER. IT IS FLAWED. THE QUESTION IS LOCKED, ARCHIVED, AND PERMANENTLY RETIRED.

Quote:
The parents of a baby born with spina bifida say that had they known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and, fluid on the brain, they might have chosen to abort the pregnancy.

A. had they known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities, and fluid on the brain, they might have chosen to abort the pregnancy
B. had they known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities, and fluid on the brain, they would have chosen to abort the pregnancy
C. they might have chosen to abort the pregnancy if they had known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities, and fluid on the brain
D. if they had known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities, and fluid on the brain, they might have chosen to abort the pregnancy
E. they might have chose to abort the pregnancy had they known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities, and fluid on the brain

Hital wrote:
Can someone please help me understand why we are not going with if...then options here? And why we considered "Would have" wrong, it is grammatically correct and makes perfect sense. Eg: If I had wings, I would fly.

Hital , this question is an abject disaster. It is flawed. Four answers are correct. I am going to archive and lock this topic.

Problems? Where to start?

1) The author mistakenly believes that option A determines intended meaning. Option A does not determine intended meaning.
Intended meaning is derived from context. We use all five answer choices to determine intended meaning if need be.
The only thing that distinguishes options A and B are the words might and would. Both are allowed.
Option B is not wrong. It is grammatical. Option A does not determine original or intended meaning.

Maybe this urban legend about option A should get the title "Hydra of SC." [Chop one head off and two grow back.]
Here, as GMATNinja would say, have some examples:
GMATNinja wrote, And for whatever it's worth, there's nothing special about answer choice (A) -- it may or may not convey the correct meaning of the sentence. HERE
More?
Dmitry Farber, here.
More?
Ron Purewal, HERE

2) Inverted clauses are allowed in conditional statements.
-- Option C inverts option A and option D inverts option B. All four are grammatical.
-- Other than E's dumb verb, this question tests absolutely nothing.
-- If option A is correct, then option C is correct, too. If B is correct, then D is, too,

Zero conditional, clauses switch places (inverted clauses)
Correct: Correct: If it rains, the ground gets wet.
Correct: The ground gets wet if it rains.

Type 1 - clauses switch places:
Correct: If I see another question with four correct answers, I will holler.
Correct: I will holler if I see another question with four correct answers.

Type 3, clauses switch places
Type 3 conditional is
if THIS thing had happened, then THAT thing would have happened [but neither thing happened]
OR: THAT thing would have happened if THIS thing had happened

Correct: If I had known you were coming, I might have come home earlier.
Correct, inverted: I might have come home earlier if I had known you were coming.

Correct: If I had known you were coming, I would have come home earlier.
Correct, inverted: I would have come home earlier if I had known you were coming.

Options A, B, C, and D are correct

3) Modals in the result clause are allowed in Type 1, 2, 3, and Mixed Coniditonals
The word MIGHT is fine. Type 1, 2, 3, and Mixed Conditionals allow for uncertainty.
(There is a way to make a zero conditional carry a modal, but it does not show up on the GMAT.)

I do not know whether any official examples use might in the result clause. I can't remember.
Modals in conditionals are ingrained in native speaker's brains: we don't notice them.
I do know that using might in the result clause of a Type 3 conditional is grammatical.

4) The difference between A and B is not knowable. Both sentences are grammatical.
Might is uncertain. They might have done X. They might not have done X.
Would is certain. No question, they would have done X.

GMAC will never make you make a choice such as the one between A and B without information.

We don't know the source of this question. It's not official. Let it go.
In fact, please pretend you never saw it.

THIS QUESTION HAS MORE THAN ONE CORRECT ANSWER. IT IS FLAWED. THE QUESTION IS LOCKED, ARCHIVED, AND PERMANENTLY RETIRED.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts