GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 09:25

Booth R1 Calls in Progress:

Join us in the chat | track the decision tracker | See forum posts/summary

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The increase in unemployment rates, coupled with significantly increas

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
WE: Project Management (Computer Hardware)
The increase in unemployment rates, coupled with significantly increas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2014, 02:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:15) correct 31% (01:30) wrong based on 303 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The increase in unemployment rates, coupled with significantly increased retail prices as well as energy costs, are forcing many homeowners to look into alternative sources of fuel in order to save money on winter heating.

A. unemployment rates, coupled with significantly increased retail prices as well as energy costs, are

B. rates of unemployment, coupled with significant increases in retail prices and energy costs, have been

C. unemployment rates, coupled with significant increases in both retail prices and energy costs, is

D. unemployment rates, coupled with significantly increased retail prices as well as energy costs, is

E. rates of unemployment, coupled with significant increases in both retail as well as energy costs, had been

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
Re: The increase in unemployment rates, coupled with significantly increas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2014, 14:17
Let me make a point here that may help clarify a number of SC problems for you:

There is no original.

If A were the indicator of how the sentence should be written, then the answer would always be A. There's nothing wrong with deviating from how the sentence was written in A, since A is wrong 4/5 of the time and has no more claim than any of the others to being the "original."

Now, on to this question. There are a few ways to think about the difference between C and D. The first is to look at what's doing the forcing:
In C, it's the increase in unemployment rates and increases in prices and costs.
In D, it's the increase in unemployment rates and increased prices as well as costs.

C, unlike D (and A) is parallel. All of the causes are increases. In D, we're looking at an increase in one part and increased prices in another.

It's also not great the way D tags on "as well as costs." It's not clear that the costs are increased; if that's what we want to convey, we should use "and," not "as well as."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The increase in unemployment rates, coupled with significantly increas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2014, 03:27
the increase singular so here is . both ---. and , it is better . so correct answer is C .

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2014, 07:35
thefibonacci wrote:
The increase in unemployment rates, coupled with significantly increased retail prices as well
as energy costs, are
forcing many homeowners to look into alternative sources of fuel in order
to save money on winter heating.
• unemployment rates, coupled with significantly increased retail prices as well as energy costs,
are
• rates of unemployment, coupled with significant increases in retail prices and energy costs,
have been
• unemployment rates, coupled with significant increases in both retail prices and energy costs,
is
• unemployment rates, coupled with significantly increased retail prices as well as energy costs,
is
• rates of unemployment, coupled with significant increases in both retail as well as energy
costs, had been

I was between C and D, I selected D because it is following original construction and further I dont see any error in this choice.

Kindly explain why C > D ?

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2014, 14:55
DmitryFarber wrote:
Let me make a point here that may help clarify a number of SC problems for you:

There is no original.

If A were the indicator of how the sentence should be written, then the answer would always be A. There's nothing wrong with deviating from how the sentence was written in A, since A is wrong 4/5 of the time and has no more claim than any of the others to being the "original."

Now, on to this question. There are a few ways to think about the difference between C and D. The first is to look at what's doing the forcing:
In C, it's the increase in unemployment rates and increases in prices and costs.
In D, it's the increase in unemployment rates and increased prices as well as costs.

C, unlike D (and A) is parallel. All of the causes are increases. In D, we're looking at an increase in one part and increased prices in another.

It's also not great the way D tags on "as well as costs." It's not clear that the costs are increased; if that's what we want to convey, we should use "and," not "as well as."

Thanks for the reply :)

I understand your point. C is more elegant, parallel and idiomatic compared to D.

What if I say :
unemployment rates, coupled with retail prices as well as energy costs, is ... (is it grammatically correct or we need and instead of as well as. what change in meaning you see, if I replace as well as with and)
unemployment rates, coupled with retail prices and energy costs, is ...

Is there any idiomatic requirement behind C to follow such pattern : Coupled with X and Y ?

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2014, 15:07
The problem in the original is that D is trying to apply a modifier to two things, and "as well as" doesn't do what "and" does in that situation:

He was greeted by men in green shirts and hats. (The shirts and hats were both green.)
He was greeted by men in green shirts as well as hats. (This doesn't really work well at all. It probably means that the hats were not green. Or if we stretch a bit, it could mean he was greeted by men and by hats. Basically, we just don't want to say this.)

We don't have the same problem in your constructions, but I still think "and" works a little better. "As well as" implies a sort of adding on that isn't needed here:

John Travolta is a pilot as well as an actor. (This is telling us that JT isn't just an actor--this is the part that the author figures we know--but that he's also a pilot. The author figures this is new information.)

The new security measures led to a steep decline in theft, as well as a drop in employee satisfaction. (The measures led to one thing, and also to something else that's very different. "As well as" emphasizes that difference better than "and" does.)

So what's the bottom line on "as well as"? It's not quite the same as "and," but the difference in meaning can be subtle. As with "also," don't be too quick to accept it as a substitute. "And" has special powers that no other word or phrase can be guaranteed to match!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2014, 15:13
DmitryFarber wrote:
The problem in the original is that D is trying to apply a modifier to two things, and "as well as" doesn't do what "and" does in that situation:

He was greeted by men in green shirts and hats. (The shirts and hats were both green.)
He was greeted by men in green shirts as well as hats. (This doesn't really work well at all. It probably means that the hats were not green. Or if we stretch a bit, it could mean he was greeted by men and by hats. Basically, we just don't want to say this.)

We don't have the same problem in your constructions, but I still think "and" works a little better. "As well as" implies a sort of adding on that isn't needed here:

John Travolta is a pilot as well as an actor. (This is telling us that JT isn't just an actor--this is the part that the author figures we know--but that he's also a pilot. The author figures this is new information.)

The new security measures led to a steep decline in theft, as well as a drop in employee satisfaction. (The measures led to one thing, and also to something else that's very different. "As well as" emphasizes that difference better than "and" does.)

So what's the bottom line on "as well as"? It's not quite the same as "and," but the difference in meaning can be subtle. As with "also," don't be too quick to accept it as a substitute. "And" has special powers that no other word or phrase can be guaranteed to match!

Wow Nice explanation, all doubts are cleared.
Thanks Dmitry.

Piyush K
-----------------------

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2014, 09:43
What are the mistakes in B? Is it only the usage of have in place of has?

I used following eliminations
1) and is more concise than as well as
2) Through VAN (studied in MGMAT SC) I gave preference to significant increase in rather than significantly increased.

However, I got following doubts:
1) rates of unemployment vs unemployment rates: I thought rates of unemployment is clearer. As it removes the ambiguity that "unemployment rates" is a noun altogether or unemployment is acting as adjective.
2) Do we have any rule (or preference) of using both in this sort of sentence?
3) If B had "has been" (sentence makes sense in some other context), would the sentence be correct?

Middle of nowhere!

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The increase in unemployment rates, coupled with  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 03:54
Top Contributor
A rapid-fire solution

are and have been are plural verbs. Remove them Remove E for using both as well as; both ... and is only correct.

Significantly increased implies that the prices were significantly increased by someone, which is contrary to the original intention

Therefore, C

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 11:20
Please format the question (and the answer choices) properly.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 11:54
Director
Director
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 12:07
The increase in unemployment rates, coupled with significantly increased retail prices as well as energy costs, are forcing many homeowners to look into alternative sources of fuel in order to save money on winter heating.

A. unemployment rates, coupled with significantly increased retail prices as well as energy costs, are

B. rates of unemployment, coupled with significant increases in retail prices and energy costs, have been

C. unemployment rates, coupled with significant increases in both retail prices and energy costs, is

D. unemployment rates, coupled with significantly increased retail prices as well as energy costs, is

E. rates of unemployment, coupled with significant increases in both retail as well as energy costs, had been
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The increase in unemployment rates, coupled with significantly increas &nbs [#permalink] 04 Aug 2018, 12:07

The increase in unemployment rates, coupled with significantly increas

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap