Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
WE 1: Business Development
WE 2: Consulting
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Pens and Notepads at test centers [#permalink]
Top5Gun wrote:
For those you have taken the actual exam, are you allowed to request additional pads and pens on test day, prior to the exam or do they only give you one pad and pen?

You get one of each at a time. If you fill up a booklet/pen stops working, you request another from the test proctor.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Wait....I thought you got an erasable board? I didn't think you received actual real notepads and pens?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
WE 1: Business Development
WE 2: Consulting
Send PM
shs0145 wrote:
Wait....I thought you got an erasable board? I didn't think you received actual real notepads and pens?

That's what it is...an erasable notepad
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
i asked for and was given an extra pen on test day.

in my experience, each notepad has significantly more space than i could ever imagine using during the course of a single exam.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Definitely ask for an extra pen. It can be a huge hassle to get another pen if yours runs out of ink.

This happened to be the first time I took the GMAT, I couldn't find the proctor and lost at least 60 seconds looking for him to request a new pen. After this happened, I took the GMAT a few other times, and requesting an extra pen at the start of the test was never a problem.

As far as the notebook, I would get a fresh notebook at the start of each section. But for most people, one fresh notebook should be adequate per section. I had a page or two left at the end of both the quant and verbal section. Just make sure to practice writing in an organized manner.

Also, if you need silence -- like I do -- they'll have ear plugs available if you request them from the proctor. This is another item that I requested more of at the start of each section.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
MDF wrote:
As far as the notebook, I would get a fresh notebook at the start of each section. But for most people, one fresh notebook should be adequate per section. I had a page or two left at the end of both the quant and verbal section. Just make sure to practice writing in an organized manner.

Also, if you need silence -- like I do -- they'll have ear plugs available if you request them from the proctor. This is another item that I requested more of at the start of each section.

2 questions:
1. So you get paper notebook or erasable board?
2. I have started using ear plugs while solving problems to get used to it - as I kind of freak out with the silence. But I also get distracted with the street noise. So best option for me is to start using ear plugs. BUT MY QUESTION:- Can I take mine with me? As I am getting used to this particular kind of ear plugs that I have been using.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
You get a dry erase board + dry erase marker(s), but don't expect to do any erasing as you'll have nothing to erase with.

And you can't take anything of your own into the test center except your ID. So you cannot bring your own earplugs, pens, or even gum into the room with you. I actually brought my own earplugs and asked the proctor about this when I took the test but he reaffirmed that nothing of my own was allowed.

You'll have to ask for and use their pre-packaged earplugs if you want to use earplugs. But really, don't sweat it, they do the trick, especially if you keep changing them out after each section.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
MDF wrote:
You get a dry erase board + dry erase marker(s), but don't expect to do any erasing as you'll have nothing to erase with.

And you can't take anything of your own into the test center except your ID. So you cannot bring your own earplugs, pens, or even gum into the room with you. I actually brought my own earplugs and asked the proctor about this when I took the test but he reaffirmed that nothing of my own was allowed.

You'll have to ask for and use their pre-packaged earplugs if you want to use earplugs. But really, don't sweat it, they do the trick, especially if you keep changing them out after each section.

Thanks a lot MDF for the info.

I ordered these https://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Ultimate-S ... roduct_top earplugs to simulate the same experience of the test day. Could you please tell me if that's what I expect in the test center? I hate the big ones as they make me feel suffocated.

Secondly, does anybody know if I can order the earsable scratch pad for practice from anywhere? Does anybody sell them?

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
abhicoolmax wrote:
Secondly, does anybody know if I can order the earsable scratch pad for practice from anywhere? Does anybody sell them?

Thanks.

I found https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... verqui-20/

Can somebody please tell me if that's what we get in the test center?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
abhicoolmax wrote:
abhicoolmax wrote:

Thanks.

I found https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... verqui-20/

Can somebody please tell me if that's what we get in the test center?

I would say the earplugs look more like this: https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-LPF ... 94&sr=8-16

But I've used both those and hearos and their both equally effective imo.

and yes, that is the same dry erase booklet and market that you'll get on test day.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
MDF wrote:
I would say the earplugs look more like this: https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-LPF ... 94&sr=8-16

But I've used both those and hearos and their both equally effective imo.

and yes, that is the same dry erase booklet and market that you'll get on test day.

Thanks again MDF for your responses.

Last question, I swear :) - Are these ear plugs different from hearos? If I continue practicing with hearos till my GMAT day, do you think it would feel any different on the test day with the ones provided at the test center?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
MDF wrote:

MDF wrote:

Sorry if I misread your response but I am a little puzzled about this. Does the erasable board have many pages in it?

My handwriting is really bad, and I am used to a thin 0.5mm pencil and regular paper. I am a little scared that I may have issues with the erasable (or in fact non-erasable as there is nothing to erase with) board.

I have just ordered amazon[.]com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0979017580/cabinfeverqui-20/ in a hope that it will help to overcome the writing challenge. Have you seen this thing? If so, is it the same one you get on the exam day?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I am not allowed to post URLs yet and that's why the link is awkward :|
GMAT Club Bot