Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 66

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 05:31
philiptraum wrote:
Thanks for the upload mate!

Quick question on number 4 though:

How many 3-digit numbers satisfy the following conditions: The first digit is different from zero and the other digits are all different from each other?

From my reading of this "the other digits" implies the 2nd and 3rd digits and not the first. Well if only the 2nd and 3rd digits are different from each other then shouldn't it be 9*10*9?

I agree with you on that one.

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q45 V16
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 12:51
thanks. great stuff. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 27

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 07:23
You've heard this 74 times, but it's well worth the 75th.

So, thanks!!! It so happens that I was beginning to wonder how I was going to practice this topic after learning it from the web (considering it is a weak area) and I found this.

Thanks again!

petrifiedbutstanding

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 75

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 01:20
Thanks for sharing!

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 10:05
Thank you! Appreciate it very much!

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

Intern
Intern
Schools: Great Lakes , ISB , NUS , INSEAD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2011, 01:17
Thanks, it was really helpful !
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 3 yrs f/t manager in aerospace (IT - Commercial - Int'l Mktg)
WE 2: 5 yrs freelance consultant to Gov't

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2011, 01:56
Awesome resource :) Just one small issue with the secretaries/reports answer, I think there's an error with the OA... 8/9 is clearly too big to be correct

"There are three secretaries who work for four departments. If each of the four departments has one report to be typed out, and the reports are randomly assigned to a secretary, what is the probability that all three secretaries are assigned at least one report? "

Spoiler:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
There are 3^4 (or 3*3*3*3) possible combinations = each option therefore is 1/81.

You then choose 1 of three secretaries (3C1) to receive two reports (4C2), and then work out the number of permutations to assign the remaining 2 reports to the 2 remaining secretaries (2P2).

3C1 * 4C2 * 2P2 = 36

Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
= 36/81 = 4/9

Blogging my way through the applications/study process!!
http://mbahorizons.blogspot.com/

Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 529 [0], given: 43

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 08:04
In the second file, the solution for Q32 is wrong. The correct answer should be 171.
The total number of diagonals is 21x18/2=189 and from this, one has to remove the number of diagonals from one vertex, i.e. 189-18=171. To the two adjacent vertices to the one which doesn't send any, there are still 18 diagonals connected to. When working out the number of the diagonals one should take into account the definition of a diagonal - a line segment which connects two non-adjacent vertices. So, any vertex, connects to n-3 different vertices (not to itself, and not to the two adjacent vertices).

Question 33 is not properly formulated, because the answer depends on how the three vertices relate to each other. Of course the solution is wrong, due to the same mistake made for the previous question. So, one should ask the question how many diagonals are in a polygon with 18 vertices in which three adjacent vertices don't send any. And the correct answer is 91.

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 529 [0], given: 43

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2011, 23:07
prasrush2001 wrote:
don't have words for you to thank..

You are very welcome!
Great collection of questions, very useful!

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Intern
Intern

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 22:54
Some of the Answers are wrong in this document.
Heres One

20. In a flower shop, there are 5 different types of flowers. Two of the flowers are blue, two are red and one is yellow. In how many different combinations of different colors can a 3-flower garland be made?

a) 4.
b) 20.
c) 3.
d) 5.
e) 6.

According to the document

20. The best answer is A.
We want to make a 3-flower garlands, each should have three colors of flowers in it.
There are two different types of blue and two different types of red.
The options are (2 blue) x (2 red) x (1 yellow) = 4 options.

According to me

answer should be 5
because it according the the question it is not compulsory to have 3 colors ! it asks for a number of different combinations i see the following as combination

1) 2Red + 1 Blue
2) 2red+1 yellow
3)1 yellow+1 blue+ 1 red
4) 2 blue+ 1 yellow
5) 2 blue + 1 red

thats a total of 5
what do u say
Intern
Intern

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 23:57
26. What is the probability for a family with three children to have a boy and two girls (assuming the probability of having a boy or a girl is equal)?

a) 1/8
b) ¼
c) ½
d) 3/8
e) 5/8

26. The best answer is D.
There are three different arrangements of a boy and two girls:(boy, girl, girl), (girl, boy, girl), (girl, girl, boy). Each has a probability of (1/2)3. The total is 3*(1/2)3=3/8.

WHY DOES THE ORDER MATTER IN THIS QUESTION. I MEAN THEY HAVE A BOY AND 2 GIRLS SHOULD NOT IT JUST BE 3/8?
Intern
Intern

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2011, 17:48
thank you :-D
Intern
Intern

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 10:30
can any send tat link plz
Intern
Intern

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 21:41
The answer to question 40 does not seem right to me. Shouldn't the answer be 48? The question is as follows.
A computer game has five difficulty levels. In each level you can choose among four different scenarios except for the first level, where you can choose among three scenarios only. How many different games are possible?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 17

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 19:57
thanks for posting this download
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 06:34
Really looking forward to this set. Thanks mate.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 56

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 11:18
cmal1985 wrote:
26. What is the probability for a family with three children to have a boy and two girls (assuming the probability of having a boy or a girl is equal)?

a) 1/8
b) ¼
c) ½
d) 3/8
e) 5/8

26. The best answer is D.
There are three different arrangements of a boy and two girls:(boy, girl, girl), (girl, boy, girl), (girl, girl, boy). Each has a probability of (1/2)3. The total is 3*(1/2)3=3/8.

WHY DOES THE ORDER MATTER IN THIS QUESTION. I MEAN THEY HAVE A BOY AND 2 GIRLS SHOULD NOT IT JUST BE 3/8?

What about the possibility of 3 boys or 3 girls ? Here, I think the order does not matter.
the possibilities are - 3Boys, 2Boys-1Girl, 1boy-2girls, 3Girls. so out of 4 possible outcomes, the probability of 1boy-2girls is 1/4.

What is wrong with this reasoning ?
Intern
Intern

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 18:52
Thank you so much! Keep up the good work~
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Booth '15
GMAT Date: 04-08-2013
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 07:10
Looks like there some wrong solutions as pointed out by other members , has the doc been updated to reflect this ?just checking
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 206

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2014, 07:02
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Permutations, Combinations, Probability - Download Questions   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2014, 07:02