Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate on my chance.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate on my chance. [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2006, 17:46
Age/ethnic group: 26 yrs old/East Asian.
Academy: NYU Stern overall GPA 3.45 (Finance/Accounting)
Working experience:This is where everything for me becomes vague.
-Internship with Merrill Lynch and TD Securities during college.
-After college, I did not pursue career in business. Rather, I became a teacher. It was not that I did not get any job offer (TD Securities, CIBC and other firms offered me despite the difficult job market) There was a reason but the story would be too long (could be good essay material).
-I have taught high school students SAT, SAT 2, History (US and world), TOEFL, ESL, and etc. By June 2007, it will be total 4 years of teaching experience.
-I am also a photographer (Wedding and portrait). Recently, I became freelancer. 3 1/2 years of experience by 6/2007.
-Interestingly, there is one more. Maybe, this is not a job, but I have been producing movies for NYU Tisch film students. 3 years and 10 months of experience by 6/2007.
Other activities:
-Created and led a group of photographers who will do free shooting for poor immigrants. (we are still active and trying to expand to cover more people)
-Was treasurer for a club in college.
-Formed Investor club (with college buddies). I am not just sitting back and taking advice from media and others; I actively research the company with available information by myself. So far, our club has had a good record.
Skills
Skills:
-Still has more than basic understanding of finance and accounting(if not, I couldn't have researched by myself in investor club).
-Computer skills (still has good Excel (spreadsheet) skills required for evaluating a company + other required basic skills).
-Language: English, Korean (native), Japanese (conversational).
GMAT Score
Practice 720...Real one in September.
Rec.
have two of them: one from the director of educational institution where I am teaching. The other from a film director for whom I produced three movies; one while she was in school, two after she became independent film director.
Plan
-Short-term: experience in consulting.
-Long-term: assisting small businesses in their management (especially for immigrants and the poor)
-So reason for me to go for MBA? I want to experience in consulting so that I can help small businesses run by immigrants and the poor. Living among immigrants and the poor, I saw that their businesses failed because of lack of advice on how they should run business in the US or anywhere. There is also minor reason; I want a challenge as I have seen many of my students challenging anything they encounter despite the difficulty.
Target school
Harvard, Columbia, Wharton, Darden, Michigan, Chicago, LBS, Duke.
Of course, I will narrow down the list, including schools not listed here as competitive and safety, to 5 to 7 schools. These are my target schools.
Could you evaluate my chances?[/b]

Last edited by fankor on 13 Dec 2006, 07:39, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2006, 18:13
Expert's post
The first question I have is, Why are you taking the GMAT again? Unless one of your scores (verbal or quant) was very low, a 720 is good enough to get you in anywhere. I'd recommend against taking it again unless you feel that you need to overcome a low verbal/quant score. A 750 won't improve your chances vs. a 720.

Besides that, I think that you have an interesting profile. The trick for you will be to tie it all together. Interestingly, your background (school teacher, photographer, film) is very similar to that of a good friend of mine. A couple of years ago he was thinking about applying to b-school, and I warned him that he needed to be careful about not looking like a "drifter" who just moved from one thing to the next every year or two, just because he felt like it. While there's nothing wrong with that (esp. in your 20s), that's not necessarily what b-schools are looking for.

So, you'll need to help MBA admissions officers "tie it all together" regarding your profile. Banking, teacher, photographer, film producer, investor... Why all of these things? What are you truly passionate about?

If you can sharpen your story, you have a shot at a top ten school. But that may not be easy, so spend a lot of time on this and make sure that you really nail it.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews