Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [1]
Send PM
Re: Please help [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
versatile wrote:
Hello,

Thanks very much for your reply and your insights

I took my GMAT in Feb, 2012 and scored 45 in Quant, after that day i have not taken any test because i wanna save remaining test for the final prep.

I request you to give 3/4 mins to analyze the file i have attached herewith. Average time taken is 1 min 10 seconds, I do not have any problem with the timing. I have hardly spent 2.5-3 mins on 4 to 5% of problems.

I know OG is not the right benchmark to predict the score, but I wanna know that whether my statistics indicate that i am ready (in terms of fundamentals, am keeping the strategies/ timing etc aside) for my target of 49/50 of Quant or not.

Performance in Quant also includes performance in DS, i expect similar level of accuracy in DS.

So, since you would have observed the OG accuracy statistics of so many achievers, you can some fair idea as to where do i stand in terms of my goal of 49/50

a) Do i need to go back to strategy guides again ? or you think i should practice more

Thanks very much for your help

1. Comfort in OG is a necessary (as in, you must be comfortable with GMAT type of questions) but not sufficient condition if you are aiming to get around Q50 in GMAT. Even if you get 95% in OG questions, I cannot guarantee Q49/50 (though it will be highly likely). What I can say is that if you are at Q 50 level, you should be able to do most (say, 90 - 95%) of the OG questions in a min or two without wrestling with them.

2. You are right that OG is not the right benchmark. In fact, even GMAT prep tests are falling short these days. Quite a few people who get Q49 in GMAT prep tests end up with Q44-45 in the actual GMAT (a recent phenomenon). Either GMAT is getting really trickier by the day or more people are losing it during the actual exam.

3. So how do you know when you are ready to take the exam? You can't know. When you feel good and are able to solve most questions you come across in a reasonable amount of time, you can give it another shot and hope for the best. You set up a test date according to the application schedule and then make the most of the time you have by working on your weaknesses and practicing as many advanced questions as you can.

4. With a Q45 in actual GMAT, I don't think you need to go back to concept books. You just need to expose yourself to more advanced applications.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks very much for your reply

Can you help me evaluate my strategy for next 20 days ?

1) To go through the detailed explanation of each and every OG problems
2) To complete remaining 20 Gmatclub tests, and learn from the mistakes
3) To study basics of the weaker areas as per the mistakes of OG
4) To complete GMAT advance prep - manhattan

After doing all above , complete the quant review 2 and identify the weaker areas again, targeting atleast 95% accuracy.

Do you think i am missing something here in the plan ?

Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
versatile wrote:
Thanks very much for your reply

Can you help me evaluate my strategy for next 20 days ?

1) To go through the detailed explanation of each and every OG problems
2) To complete remaining 20 Gmatclub tests, and learn from the mistakes
3) To study basics of the weaker areas as per the mistakes of OG
4) To complete GMAT advance prep - manhattan

After doing all above , complete the quant review 2 and identify the weaker areas again, targeting atleast 95% accuracy.

Do you think i am missing something here in the plan ?

Thanks

When working through OG, revisit only the questions you had issues in first time around. The OG solutions aren't necessarily the optimum solutions. On the net, you will find many other ways of dealing with the same problem. Take a couple of full length tests as well.
GMAT Club Bot