Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Positioning yourself, themes, and all that good stuff [#permalink]
Thats definitely a good way to think about it; you want to make yourself memorable. What would you say, bsd ? :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Kudos
Pemenon,

You've got the right idea about positioning yourself. The package will be your stats (GMAT, GPA, ECs, work experience) plus 3-5 qualities that highlight your strengths.

I think highlighting things that aren't common to engineers is very important. What are the engineer stereotypes? Academic, bookish, poor interpersonal skills, etc. Highlight qualities that bust these stereotypes.

One of the keys to coming up with your list of qualities is come up with good stories to support your claims. You say "creative thinker", why do you say that? Do you have a good story you can tell in 250 words (essay) or 2-3 min (interview)?

I would take your list, come up with examples, then narrow it down to the best 3 to 5. The key is to be holistic about your positioning. Like bsd_lover said, you should be able provide a well-rounded summary of your position in as few words as possible.

Concerning sociability, I actually think it's a worthwhile quality to highlight in your essays, especially for an engineer. However, you can't just say "I'm social", it has to be deeper and more relevant than that. Come up with an story where the reader will think "Wow, this guy will fit in great here" (that is where sociability fits in).

RF
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Kudos
Probably not so important what I said - but think of it this way - What could you possibly say if you are an engineer and you know that your professional background is not so memorable ? You'd start with aims. Better make those memorable (and realistic). Next would be extra-curriculurs and community. How distinctive could you make those ? Also see if you have international experiences (distinctive ones) If you're still struggling to come up with a memorable elevator speech then you're in trouble.

Maybe you can throw some ideas around and we can see what works (pm me if you like).

pmenon wrote:
Thats definitely a good way to think about it; you want to make yourself memorable. What would you say, bsd ? :)
Director
Director
Send PM
Thanks, refurb. Now, with respect to the 3-5 qualities, are these qualities ones you try to showcase in almost every essay, or just bring them in if they are appropriate for the question ? And how would you go about narrowing your qualities down to just 3-5 ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Kudos
+1 rf :)

pmenon wrote:
Now, with respect to the 3-5 qualities, are these qualities ones you try to showcase in almost every essay, or just bring them in if they are appropriate for the question ? And how would you go about narrowing your qualities down to just 3-5 ?

i say narrow down to your 3-5 first . try picking or grouping the 3-5 themes in terms of which will give you the most impactful stories. how they fit into your essays should flow from there.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Kudos
I don't think you need to relay the 3-5 traits that make up your "brand" in every essay. The advice I was given was to look at your app holistically--after all, this is one of adcoms favorite words, isn't it?

For example, Chicago:
When you've completed both essays and the slideshow, you should feel confident that you conveyed the 3-5 skills that represent your brand. If you haven't represented your unique interest in reading body language, etc. rethink your slides and make one that shows this interest in a creative way.

Ways to represent your social skills: presenting, selling, various methods you use to build/lead teams.

NOTE: if you're really trying to pound home a unique skill or two, ask your recommender to highlight it. I've found that my recommenders can easily "say" things that I can't. e.g. your essays have to talk about interactions with clients, co-workers and directors but your recommender can just say "xxxx's social skills are what distinguish him/her"

Originally posted by pguard on 01 Jan 2009, 23:48.
Last edited by pguard on 01 Jan 2009, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
TL wrote:
i say narrow down to your 3-5 first . try picking or grouping the 3-5 themes in terms of which will give you the most impactful stories. how they fit into your essays should flow from there.

I agree. And, I think 3 is better than 5. Unless you're giving your "elevator pitch" in the empire state building, it might be hard to convey 5 triats with conviction.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
AZCFA wrote:
I don't think you need to relay the 3-5 traits that make up your "brand" in every essay. The advice I was given was to look at your app holistically--after all, this is one of adcoms favorite words, isn't it?

True. You need to tailor each app for the school. You might have 5 traits, but only emphasis 3 of them for a particular school.

For example, if you were applying to Tuck, it would be important to emphasis community. You might talk about ECs that you led. If you're applying to a school with a specialization, say Ross Erb Institute (environmental sustainability), you might emphasis your environmental record.

Since each school has a unique set of essay questions (for the most part), it's a good idea to come up with a set of "traits" that you can pick from so that you can create the strongest app possible for each school. There will be a lot of overlap between schools, but each one should be distinctive.

RF
GMAT Club Bot