Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [6]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [2]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
Re: Adding Personality to your Application [#permalink]
highwyre237 wrote:
AskAnshul wrote:
• Add Humor: Wherever possible, add humor to your essays. Obviously, it has to be in good taste and in context. A person with a good sense of humor is very likely to be a confident person who can handle pressure situations. These are very important traits that a school wants in their candidates.
• Don’t shy away from adding trivia: So, if you like to cook and serve – please go ahead and mention it in your essays. While the admission team will not select you for your cooking skills but they surely add few points to your social skills. So, it always helps to share limited amount of such trivia, but not at the cost of important information.

eh... I'd be careful. If humor doesnt flow easily for you... I wouldnt force it. I can tell you, I put plenty of personality into my essays, and even a bit of humor into those that left room for it (ie Fuqua's 25 random things)... but dont force it. There's nothing worse than a person trying to be funny when they arent... I would have one or two people read those portions of your essays more critically to ensure it doesn't sound forced.

A bit of personality is great, forced humor is not, and it can be a very fine line.

I agree 100%

It is important to add 'your' personality. And that is not only true with the humor part but with other sections as well. If it is forced, it will show. And getting it reviewed is always a good practice. But you definitely should put the personality in the application.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 749 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
AskAnshul wrote:
But you definitely should put the personality in the application.

Many people say, I should sell my dream to convince adcoms. What if I don't have one? What if I want to do MBA for mere career advancement in terms of Profile, Pay or better choice of Jobs? How to deal with this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
pavan2185 wrote:
AskAnshul wrote:
But you definitely should put the personality in the application.

Many people say, I should sell my dream to convince adcoms. What if I don't have one? What if I want to do MBA for mere career advancement in terms of Profile, Pay or better choice of Jobs? How to deal with this?

Pavan, lets me first state the facts straight. The adcom will evaluate you on clarity of your short and long term goals. Although it is expected that some candidates will like to keep their options open (esp. those with low work ex.), it is still advisable to state clear goals. Not stating specific goals is not wrong, per se, but will only lead you to lose precious points. So, here is my advice for you: Think hard... I am sure you have some idea on what you would like to do. Build your dream. But don't forget to do a thorough research around it. You don't want it to look like a 'just conceived' dream!

Hope it was useful. If you would like to discuss this in detail, feel free to reach out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Dear Pavan,

I completely agree with Anshul. However, let me tell you that having a dream does not necessarily mean that you should aspire to bring about a revolution in the society or land on the moon. It is perfectly okay to want to expand the scope of your work or get into a better position after completing your studies. The idea here is - as Anshul has already pointed out - to be very 'specific'. In other words, show the ad com that you are focused, you know where you want to go and you are sure that this education is the stepping stone to reach there. Think about your dream jobs, the designations you want to work at, the organisations you want to work with. The ideal thing would be to segregate the goals into immediate post-degree goals, short-term goals (5-7 years) and long-term goals/career vision (10-15 years). Research on the kinds of profiles you will be able to take up after completing your studies and exactly what kind of work you would like to do. What would be your contribution to the organisation or industry you aspire to join? Your goals at each phase should emerge out of the previous phase - that is, there should be a logical progression from one phase to the other.

It is critically important that you develop a clear idea of your goals before you begin your application process. Without specific goals (especially the immediate and short-term ones), you may not be able to convince the ad com that you really need this degree and would make the best use of it in the future.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Sinchita Ganguly
Admissions Advisor
Manya - The Princeton Review
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 749 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Thanks Anshul and Sinchita, you have given me a direction in which I should shape up my Dream :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot