Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE:Accounting (Law)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.05
WE:Operations (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
So as I am looking through the application there is a lot of very serious stuff about background investigations, criminal pasts, getting any trouble at school, etc. I have nothing to hide and don't have anything that will raise a red flag, but this is kind of crazy. Is this common? Is Duke really going to check in with my undergrad school to see if I got in trouble almost 10 years ago? This just comes across more like I'm applying for a job with the CIA than grad school.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
BKMBA16 wrote:
So as I am looking through the application there is a lot of very serious stuff about background investigations, criminal pasts, getting any trouble at school, etc. I have nothing to hide and don't have anything that will raise a red flag, but this is kind of crazy. Is this common? Is Duke really going to check in with my undergrad school to see if I got in trouble almost 10 years ago? This just comes across more like I'm applying for a job with the CIA than grad school.

It's Duke. And yes, they can check with your undergrad institution. They even scan your essays for plagiarism.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
hailmary wrote:
BKMBA16 wrote:

It's Duke. And yes, they can check with your undergrad institution. They even scan your essays for plagiarism.

Posted from my mobile device

I don't agree with your first sentence. It's not just Duke. I'm actually not sure of any top programs that don't subject you to a background check. The extent to which a company may go will likely vary by company and maybe by what the school asks of them, but just like when you apply for a job they're reserving the right to make sure what you told them is accurate.

I think people worry too much over this unless they really have something bad from their past. For undergrad, they'd likely just verify you were enrolled there and graduated when you said you did. They might check your gpa or major, but you've also submitted a transcript so they have that. For past employers, it's likely just the dates you've worked there and your title. They may or may not ask about salary. I really wouldn't think too deeply into this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.16
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
BKMBA16 wrote:
This just comes across more like I'm applying for a job with the CIA than grad school.

Dude, this is no worse than renting an apartment. I'm sure clicking "no" on a few drop-down menus is just as bad as going through 3 days of polygraph testing or having one of your former drunk one-night stand partners interviewed about whether you abuse alcohol, have criminal/immoral tendencies, or intend to overthrow the government (None of these are personal experiences, just stories I've heard.).

Maybe I'm dogpiling here, but I couldn't resist.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
dukealum7 wrote:
having one of your former drunk one-night stand partners interviewed about whether you abuse alcohol, have criminal/immoral tendencies, or intend to overthrow the government

Just remembered something for 25-things essay. Or, maybe not! :P
Director
Director
Send PM
Just got my official "ding letter" from Duke. Will be reapplying in ED and revisiting Fuqua from Sept19-22.
Director
Director
Send PM
I started my application today and saw a comment there that Fuqua may provide the names of the ED admits to other schools. Does that really happen?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
hailmary wrote:
I started my application today and saw a comment there that Fuqua may provide the names of the ED admits to other schools. Does that really happen?

Unlikely. Duke has better things to do - my thoughts

Having said that, I was told that in the information session as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Hi Guys, In the Fuqua online app, under Education Background, they ask for a college level calculus course. I'm an Indian applicant with an engineering background. We had three math papers in our curriculum and none specifically titled calculus. How should i go about this section?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Send PM