Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
Encourage people who are looking to go to consulting to see this post and ask questions, if any.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
essaysnark wrote:
Jokesta wrote:
I am having difficulty approaching the reapplication essay, mainly around that I had sent in several updates while I was waitlisted and this was part of my self reflection process. Now the reapp essay asks for the self reflection process we went through since "last year" but for us summer waitlisters this is only like a month old..so I am not sure if I should be repeating myself in the reapp essay since I have already included this content in the earlier updates. thoughts?

Jokesta, don't overthink it. When they ask for how things have changed since last year, they mean, since your original application - all the additional info you've sent along doesn't really count in this context. While they surely have all that on file as part of your official record, we're pretty sure it's not what the adcom is going to be referencing, at least initially, when they consult your prior app. Use that prior app as your baseline and then present the reapp stuff as if it's new, because it is new, since the first app. You can think of the reapp as a your formal report consolidating everything that you've achieved since the first showing.

If you are uncomfortable with that, you could use devices like saying, "As I communicated in May, I did such-and-such ..." -- but that's probably not necessary.

Hope that helps!
EssaySnark

Hailmary and EssaySnark,

Thanks for your responses - they have been helpful in providing me a better understanding of how to approach he re-app essay. Before reading this I was worried I would not have enough content to add since I was excluding my waitlist updates.. but now I think I might have too much! LoL but thats a good problem to have.

Originally posted by Jokesta on 08 Aug 2013, 12:57.
Last edited by Jokesta on 14 Aug 2013, 00:44, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Found a pretty good interview with a second year Duke student - link below

https://gmatclub.com/blog/2013/04/duke-f ... annigrahi/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Send PM
MBAUnderDOG wrote:
rajiv1984 wrote:
I scheduled my visit and Interview for weekend of October 12th. I will be there from Thursday through Saturday and try to experience the life at Duke.

Any suggestions on hotels?

Any one else going the same weekend?

Hi Rajiv,

I booked my interview for the same weekend! It should be a fun trip. I booked my hotel through hotwire.com and was satisfied with what it spit out. Are you attending a class and Fuqua Friday?

Hi MBAUnderDOG,

Thanks for the hotel info.

I am attending the following:
Class visit October 11, 2013 1:45PM - 3:00 PM
Fuqua Friday October 11, 2013 5:00PM - 7:00 PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Hey Guys,

On Monday, I'll be attending the Duke information session in San Francisco. I'll be the "really really ridiculously good-looking"* Indian guy in the grey jacket turquoise shirt. So if anyone is planning to attend that, lets meet up!

*couldn't help making a Zoolander reference ;)

Address:
San Francisco Marriott Marquis
780 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
I'll see you there Jokesta, I'm also scheduled for Sep 27th.

Can anyone recommend me nearby hotels?

Jokesta wrote:
I am scheduled for sept 27th , class , tour, fuqua friday and partners club. Hope to see some GCers there!
Btw - for the summer waitlisters who are re applying for EA- how are your essays coming along? Also, are you guys making major changes to your main application or keeping it like 90% the same?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
summer99 wrote:
I'll see you there Jokesta, I'm also scheduled for Sep 27th.

Can anyone recommend me nearby hotels?

Jokesta wrote:
I am scheduled for sept 27th , class , tour, fuqua friday and partners club. Hope to see some GCers there!
Btw - for the summer waitlisters who are re applying for EA- how are your essays coming along? Also, are you guys making major changes to your main application or keeping it like 90% the same?

Sweet.. see you there man. I have stayed at the Millennium Hotel before. Not the best accommodations BUT
1. VERY close to campus
2. shuttle to campus for like $5 a day
3. free internet
are big pluses.

I am probably going to keep 50% - 60% the same but the rest will concentrate on everything new which I have learnt about Duke.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The information session in San Francisco was very helpful for me in terms of figuring out my reapplication. There will be another one coming up on Aug 28th for anyone that is interested.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [8]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE:Accounting (Law)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
For those of you who really want to make an impression, definitely sign up for the "Group Greet and Meets" if Duke comes to your city.

I think it varies who hosts the events, but for my city (Chicago), I got lucky and spoke with the Senior Associate Director of Admissions. She pretty much told me bluntly she will see my application and will more than likely review it so I got very lucky and was able to talk to the person who will play a huge role in my application.

Not too many surprises though but I did hear how the admissions process goes. If you apply Early Admissions, they categorize people into 3 groups:

1. DFD - Dying for Duke (Self Explanatory)

2. Those who might have "some" holes in the application and want to play it safe.

3. Those who are well prepared

She also told me if there is a something that you think will be an issues (low GPA, low GMAT, etc.) make sure to disclose it! They try to advocate for everyone but she told me if it's a lot easier to admit someone with a 2.6 GPA who justifies it than someone with a 2.7 who doesn't say anything. The more information the better.
Send PM
Wish we could give you multiple kudos on that one, kple12. Great report.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Send PM
kple12 wrote:
For those of you who really want to make an impression, definitely sign up for the "Group Greet and Meets" if Duke comes to your city.

I think it varies who hosts the events, but for my city (Chicago), I got lucky and spoke with the Senior Associate Director of Admissions. She pretty much told me bluntly she will see my application and will more than likely review it so I got very lucky and was able to talk to the person who will play a huge role in my application.

Not too many surprises though but I did hear how the admissions process goes. If you apply Early Admissions, they categorize people into 3 groups:

2. Those who might have "some" holes in the application and want to play it safe.

She also told me if there is a something that you think will be an issues (low GPA, low GMAT, etc.) make sure to disclose it! They try to advocate for everyone but she told me if it's a lot easier to admit someone with a 2.6 GPA who justifies it than someone with a 2.7 who doesn't say anything. The more information the better.

Nice. Thanks for sharing this. Did she tell you that, out of these three, which group of people has the best possible chance? I personally think I fall in every category :).
Send PM
hailmary wrote:
Did she tell you that, out of these three, which group of people has the best possible chance? I personally think I fall in every category :).
If you fall in every category, that means you fall in the first category - and DFD ALWAYS has the best chance (as does DFB at Berkeley, DFT at Tuck, etc. etc. etc.).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 550 Q27 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
In for EA and visiting on September 13th! Got a morning class, tour/lunch, and interview scheduled...should be enough time to let the visit sink in and do some last-minute tweaking to the application before the 18th.

Anyone else going to be around?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [10]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE:Accounting (Law)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
hailmary wrote:
kple12 wrote:

Nice. Thanks for sharing this. Did she tell you that, out of these three, which group of people has the best possible chance? I personally think I fall in every category :).

Pretty obvious the DFD. She made it very clear they want people who WANT to go to Duke and they can sniff out those who want to go to Duke and who have Duke as their back up. From what I could tell, she really liked that I had already visited Duke and that I knew some of the current students and professors. If you do talk with an admissions director, name dropping in this case is a GREAT idea (just make sure to have some legitimate interaction with the names). She knows almost all of the students extremely well since she reviews their applications so showing you have some familiarity with the university helps. Here are the highlights of my conversation:

1. Know the Duke culture. Try to visit Duke. If Duke is truly your number one, no need to be reserved about it. They want to see that.

2. They really, really, really enjoy the 25 random things. Be creative but have fun with it. Make it interesting and if it's in your wheelhouse, make it funny. The ones she remembered the most were the funny ones when we asked her.

3. Don't force it, but they really love their basketball at Duke. If it's something you follow or are interested in, make it known.

4. I will not guarantee this will improve your chances, but if your objective is to stand out, then do these events and make sure they remember you. She had an extremely sharp memory and when I told her my visit date for interview, she told me to contact her beforehand. Very cool~

I also asked her about the mechanics of the admissions process. Here is what I gathered (do NOT quote me on this):

1. After reviewing applications in a round, applicants are separated into four groups. Positive Admits (ideal candidates), Strong Candidates, Good Candidates (Waitlist range), and Not Admissible. I think she said about 70-80% fall in the Strong and Good categories.

2. Out of the Strong and Good, they interview those who they want to make sure it's a right fit OR if they want to find out more about something. The admissions director has looked at your profile at this point I believe.

3. After the interview, the admissions member who first reviewed your profile then reads the interviewer evaluation to make sure everything jives with the rest of the application. Another admissions member does this. If both members say yay, your respective director will review it again but at this point, you're pretty much in the clear. If both say nay, then it's pretty self explanatory.

4. Now if they get 1 yay and 1 nay, then it goes back to the admissions director and they scrutinize every detail and take notes. At this point, there is a ton of back and forth and the director has seen a profile about 4-5 times.

5. The next step is the director lays out the profile and all their respective notes to the Board. At this point, the admissions director will try to vouch for a profile (not always but more than likely), hence she told me to make sure you give them as much information as possible. It's basically ammo in the gun at this point.

So from what I gathered, the more information you give Duke, the more you make yourself "known" to admissions members, and the more you show you want to go there, the better. Show them you're a fit before they even have a chance to look at your application I think helps too. I know it's common sense, but I got the feeling from her that at Duke, it goes a LONG way.

Originally posted by kple12 on 19 Aug 2013, 14:48.
Last edited by kple12 on 19 Aug 2013, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Send PM