Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2977 [34]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [12]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2977 [3]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Re: Preliminary tests show that the drug known as Mephaline [#permalink]
Kudos
Ron said that we should not alway prethink an assumption and then find strengthener/weakener because this make the question harder because naturally we can find out strengtherner/weakener more easy than an assumption.

if we categorize the arguments into many pattern and find out assumptions for each pattern, we may fall into a trap of memorizing the rules. gmat dose not award the memorising of rules.

I can go to B without prethinking an assumption . if I prethink an assumption, I feel harder and spend more times. and , honestly, in the test room ,we hardly remember "comparision" argument to do some thing.

in short, the approach by learning and memorizing the "comparison" argument dose not work.

that is my idea. pls, comment.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.65
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
B.

Question type: strengthen conclusion
Conclusion: Brain damage and alzheimers affect memory differently.

working from wrong to right (eliminate answer choices and see what's left over):

A) not relevant. not an assumption or fact that further supports the conclusion.
B) this fact establishes that both sets of patients were "equal" at the start of the experiment. drugs effects can be measured accurately since you can now compare both groups of patients (validity). don't cross this one out, but maybe there's a better answer in here...
C) speech has nothing to do with the conclusion (out of scope).
D) this one is a stretch/trick. shows that the experiment followed good scientific practices...however, it doesn't really have anything to do with the conclusion.
E) age has nothing to do with the conclusion.

B is left over. And it is the answer. Yay.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.65
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
vietmoi999-
I haven't watched that video, but I guess what you're saying makes sense. With the strengthen/weaken conclusion questions I deconstruct the argument first to find the conclusion. Then I compare the answer choices to see which fact would support the conclusion. Brainstorming ("prethinking") assumptions could be a waste of time because you're trying to find NEW evidence to support/weaken the conclusion, not identify what is already given in the argument. Also, I don't memorize argument formulas - haven't really found that to be necessary. Knowing the question types and what to look for in each type seems to be a better way to spend your time. Just my 2 cents.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
avohden wrote:
Official Explanation

Answer: B
- The conclusion is that there must be something qualitatively different about memory loss due to Alzheimer’s and memory loss due to a brain injury. The evidence is that a drug, Mephaline, worked on only one of these groups. If the people with brain injuries had much greater memory loss prior to the tests, then this quantitative difference could explain why the injured people did not appear to be helped, thus weakening the argument. Choice B, by eliminating this possibility, strengthens the conclusion.

(A) This is irrelevant background information.

(C) This does not provide relevant information. There is no reason to think that the test did not take this fact into account.

(D) This gives us some information about how the tests were conducted, but does not specify whether the people who were unaware of the test were in only one group (which would weaken the argument somewhat, since the test wasn’t “fair”) or in both groups, thus strengthening the legitimacy of the experiment, and to some extent, the argument).

(E) If anything, this weakens the argument, since the memory loss difference between the two groups might have been because of their ages, not because of an intrinsic difference between the types of memory loss.

IMO, B does not look good. Just coz A and B are not quantitatively different does not mean that they are qualitatively different. Could you please explain this point?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
B as we are talking how to it does Not help the person with brain damage bu5 with alzheimer. B helps to emphasize that both patients did not differ signifivcantly: which could ecplsin the differ3nt results
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I don't understand how b is the answer.

Argument concludes that there must be something qualitatively different about these two types of memory loss. the author arrives at this conclusion because of difference in applicability of drug in both kind of memory loss. Author stated in the premise that Mephaline did not appear to slow or reverse memory loss in people who experienced memory loss due to a brain injury.

SO, argument basically assumes that difference in cause/origin of both kind of memory losses leads to unsuitability of common drug in both the cases.

So, what information confirm this.

E can't be a weakener. Argument clearly states that There must be something qualitatively different about these two types of memory loss.
Can any one explain?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 243
GMAT Date: 11-01-2012
Send PM
Kudos
sun01 wrote:
I don't understand how b is the answer.

Argument concludes that there must be something qualitatively different about these two types of memory loss. the author arrives at this conclusion because of difference in applicability of drug in both kind of memory loss. Author stated in the premise that Mephaline did not appear to slow or reverse memory loss in people who experienced memory loss due to a brain injury.

SO, argument basically assumes that difference in cause/origin of both kind of memory losses leads to unsuitability of common drug in both the cases.

So, what information confirm this.

E can't be a weakener. Argument clearly states that There must be something qualitatively different about these two types of memory loss.
Can any one explain?

Yes What is Qualitative Difference and how is it not related to the Ages beng Different??
I was thinking between B and E but marked E as it seemed to hit the Conclusion..

Any directions experts?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts