Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [14]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1189 [1]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1189 [1]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Re: Drinking Roost, a children’s health drink, must be a good habit. This [#permalink]
Kudos
I vote for C. it took me a couple of seconds to decide between C and D, while A,B,E are clearly wrong.

My reason is that D has a target for upper class, and the Roost works. If we know that the Roost is for everyone from the stem, then option D is correct.
C is the right choice because this option told us that the limitation of the data, which weakened the conclusion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Drinking Roost, a children’s health drink, must be a good habit. This [#permalink]
I opted C. As the claim states that it must be good for health. And the option C casts doubt upon the sample space irrespective of the income strata i.e. in general the concerns are raised.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Chose D. Please help me eliminate C. I tel you why C is wrong. C states that 'The claim was made only by small percentage of the children’s population who drank Roost in the country.'
Now I understood from C that - 'small percentage of c's population who drank Roost' implying that out of the total population of children, only a small % drinks Roost and they were fresh. So, does not weaken.
May be you understood that - out of the c's population that drinks Roost, only a small % was fresh. Then it might weaken.

But why should not I go by my understanding and eliminate C?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Diagnostic Verbal Test No 5 Q# 12 CR

Drinking Roost, a children’s health drink, must be a good habit. This substantially increases the stamina and IQ required by children for winning competitive cricket matches. Interviews conducted with young cricketers who drank one cup of Roost each before and after the match, confirmed that the players were feeling much fresher than those who did not take the health drink

What is the principal flaw in the above reasoning?

A. Users of Brownvita, another health also claimed the same effect after consuming one cup of Brownvita before and after the event.
B. Users of Roost did not take any other drink
C. The claim was made only by small percentage of the children’s population who drank Roost in the country.
D. The claim was mainly made by children who belonged to upper strata of people, who kept good health in spite of health drinks
E. In some countries, most commercial advertisements are meant only to motivate people into action by appealing to authority rather than to inform facts
It is C. Because, the claim is made by young cricketers not by cricketers from all segments including adult group.

It is not D. Because, nowhere in the argument it is saying that the claim is made by the upper strata of people.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Could someone please help me with option D as I am still unable to understand the true gist behind that option and why it is incorrect. If the claim was made by children, who kept good health in spite of health drinks, then we cannot conclude that drinking Roost must be a good habit. If the children are already healthy to begin with, then the conclusion falls apart. My reasoning behind option C was that even if the claim was made by a small % of the people, the conclusion can still hold that drinking roost must be a good habit. Can someone please shed a light on this? Would greatly appreciate it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 4
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
I don't agree that the argument has a sampling error.

"Interviews conducted with young cricketers who drank one cup of Roost each before and after the match, confirmed that the players were feeling much fresher than those who did not take the health drink" --> This implies a one off event, but the conclusion says that it must be a good habit.

Hence the main flaw is that the evidence really is irrelevant. A one of event cannot justify an habit [if you take a painkiller to cure pain before an ailment, does it make taking painkillers a good habit ? No]. However, under the circumstances, the best option really is C. Though sampling is not really a flaw here.

Tx.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
daagh

Could you explain difference between choice C and D

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V24
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V33
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
push12345 wrote:
daagh

Could you explain difference between choice C and D

Posted from my mobile device

We need to find the flaw in the argument : the conclusion not actually indicates that it is applicable for the entire population who consumes the drink but rather focuses only on effects young cricketers.
Nothing is stated about effects on others who consume the drink. It may be the case that the drink has some negative effects on those who are not actually interviewed- including their experiences may change the conclusion. We need to take the holistic view and then only can conclude about the efficiency of the drink.

Choice C states " The claim was made only by small percentage of the children’s population who drank Roost in the country" and points out the limitation of the argument properly.

On the other hand choice D states "The claim was mainly made by children who belonged to upper strata of people, who kept good health in spite of health drinks"

It does not indicate who drank the health drink-if it is consumed by only upper class children the representative group is only them, not the others.
Additionally the wording in the last part is also ambiguous: in spite of health drinks children kept good health ! So is it the case that the drink was not beneficial at all and they needed to take something else to improve efficiency?

Choice C is much clearer and points to the flaw directly. Hence C is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 337
Send PM
VeritasKarishma can you please help in eliminating D? I think it's a good contender to be a correct answer.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
ayushgmatclub1 wrote:
VeritasKarishma can you please help in eliminating D? I think it's a good contender to be a correct answer.

Ignore the question. It is not GMAT-like.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: Drinking Roost, a childrens health drink, must be a good habit. This [#permalink]
but squash is rich people sport no? :P
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Drinking Roost, a childrens health drink, must be a good habit. This [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts