Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 680 [11]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1430 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Leadership, Organizational Behavior
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 680 [1]
Send PM
Re: There has been a significant occurrence of oak blight increase caused [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks I got this logic but what I want to understand is

What is the modifier here ? which one ? Opening Modifier or middle modifier ?

What it is modifying and how ?

Is it Significant modifying increase , significant being adjective which can not be true as significant is coming after determiner 'a' so it is noun :(
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [3]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: There has been a significant occurrence of oak blight increase caused [#permalink]
Kudos
Let me try :

Q : There has been a significant occurrence of oak blight increase caused by growing fungus resistance against herbicides.

In original sentence
Noun : occurrence of oak blight
significant is modifier to above noun.

All stuff mentioned above is modifying increase , and caused by... is acting as -ed modifier and modifying noun increase.

Above sentence doesn't make any sense.

A) Occurrence of oak blight increase caused by growing fungus resistance against -- resistance against is not correct idiom.. resistance itself implies against something.
B) Increase in the occurrence of oak blight caused by growing fungus resistance against -- caused by is modifying blight and part in italics is now acting as noun against herbicide. -- way awkward construction.
C) increasing oak blight occurrence because of growing resistance of fungi to -- part in italics is awkward.
D) increase in the occurrence of oak blight because of growing resistance of fungi to -- because is used correctly to provide reason.
E) occurrence of oak blight increase because of growing fungus resistance to -- same error as in A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 680 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Better , but still have doubts

All stuff mentioned above is modifying increase ,

significant occurrence of oak blight -- > is modifying--> increase ?

How ? I mean in terms of grammar , what part of speech modifying what ? can you please explain on this part ?

IN E ? "resistance to" is wrong because resistance itself implies against something ?

I am still not sure why E is wrong. how i look at E is

significant occurrence vs significant increase so as per sentence significant increase is correct.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [2]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Better , but still have doubts

All stuff mentioned above is modifying increase ,

significant occurrence of oak blight -- > is modifying--> increase ? yes technically it is modifying increase e.g diamond mine diamond is a noun but here it is acting as adjective modifying mine (noun) , but in answer choice A, significant occurrence (of oak blight) increase or significant occurrence of (oak blight increase) does not make sense.

How ? I mean in terms of grammar , what part of speech modifying what ? can you please explain on this part ?
There has been a { significant(adj) occurrence (noun_adj=diamond)) of oak blight (noun) increase (noun) }<-(noun) caused (past particle modifier) by (growing fungus resistance )- noun - against herbicides.
Above sentence is incorrect thus there is no point in understanding its part of speech.

IN E ? "resistance to" is wrong because resistance itself implies against something ? Resistance to is right... I said resistance against something looks unidiomatic.

Further I would suggest you to google correct usage of this idiom. I am not able to find out any source suggesting "resistance against" correct.

I am still not sure why E is wrong. how i look at E is

significant occurrence vs significant increase so as per sentence significant increase is correct.

Q : There has been a significant (E) occurrence of oak blight increase because of growing fungus resistance to herbicide.

a significant (E) occurrence of oak blight increase --- what is increase -- can you infer some meaning out of this part of sentence.

a significant (E) occurrence of oak blight (meaningful) + increase (noun)

further what difference you see in these two parts
growing resistance of fungi to
growing fungus resistance to -- fungus resistance implies some quality of being fungus resistant is growing to herbicide.. meaning is not as clear as in above part.

Really its difficult to explain what we naturally feel weird or awkward, in option E and most of the wrong choices I don't see seamless flow and relation between part of speech.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
sc tests meaning. this means if we do not know new words, we die. I can not solve this problem because of new words.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 982
Send PM
I thought if you had "of..." the part right after the "of" can't be an -ing word?

or is it OK since "growing" is modifying "resistance" and therefore is an adj and not a verb?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Kellogg '20
Send PM
Q : There has been a significant occurrence of oak blight increase caused by growing fungus resistance against herbicides.

A) Occurrence of oak blight increase caused by growing fungus resistance against
B) Increase in the occurrence of oak blight caused by growing fungus resistance against
C) increasing oak blight occurrence because of growing resistance of fungi to
D) increase in the occurrence of oak blight because of growing resistance of fungi to
E) occurrence of oak blight increase because of growing fungus resistance to

How can the OA be D?
There has been a significant increase in the occurrence of oak blight because of growing resistance of fungi to against herbicides.
The bold part doesn't make sense
Please help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
SamriddhiPan wrote:

A) Occurrence of oak blight increase caused by growing fungus resistance against
B) Increase in the occurrence of oak blight caused by growing fungus resistance against
D) increase in the occurrence of oak blight because of growing resistance of fungi to

How can the OA be D?
There has been a significant increase in the occurrence of oak blight because of growing resistance of fungi to against herbicides.
Please help.

against was also underlined.. missed in original problem.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
SamriddhiPan wrote:

How can the OA be D?
Please help.

Seems to be a typo..corrected.

However you (and the author of the question) missed a significant error in the use of "because of". The correct usage here is "due to", not "because of" - corrected the mistake as well. ("increase" is a noun - hence "due to", not "because of")

(For explanation on correct usage of "due to" and "because of", please refer to this post:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/due-to-the-c ... l#p1970224
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
AaronPond wrote:
This problem a classic example of two principles: (1) how the location of modifiers can change the meaning of answer choices, and (2) how not every difference in the answer choices makes a difference. (I call these "false alarms.")

Let's start with a "false alarm." I have seen several suggestions in this forum that argue that "resistance against herbicides" is idiomatically incorrect, but that "resistance to herbicides" is preferred. This is totally a false alarm. Academic papers use these terms interchangeably. There is no idiomatic problem here. (In fact, the GMAT often uses obscure, less-used idioms in correct answers, baiting people into picking other answer choices that have the "expected" idiom, but that contain other, more grievous errors. This is like a corrupt car mechanic who "fixes" something that isn't necessarily broken but might sound a little funny to our untrained ears, and then "breaks" something else in the car so we have to take the car in later!)

There are very few issues in this problem that conflict with concrete grammatical rules. Instead, most of the changes create changes in meaning. Modifiers in the wrong spot can often cause illogical scenarios that can easily be eliminated. The trick is to leverage the answer choices against each other, looking for “Decision Points” that create differences in meaning.

Answer choice A and E can be eliminated because the phrase “a significant occurrence of oak blight increase” implies that there was one event (or “occurrence”) of oak blight increase, as if it spiked for a single moment. This makes no sense, since an increase takes place over time. An "occurrence of an increase" is a single, isolated event, whereas an "increase in the occurrence" of something implies a change in the rate of something occurring over time. Answer choice C has a very similar issue, since it implies that there has been a single “increasing oak blight occurrence”, once again implying a single event or occurrence.

Answer choice B is wrong because the modifier "caused by growing fungus resistance against herbicides" modifies the phrase “oak blight” -- but oak blight is not caused by fungus resistance. (Think about it: if oak blight were caused by fungus resistance to herbicides, then we could just stop using herbicides and there would be nothing for the fungus to resist, thereby eliminating oak blight!) The location of this modifier causes problems with the meaning. Instead, occurrences of oak blight are happening more often because of the growing resistance of fungi to herbicides. We want to find the answer that shows how the rate of fungus resistance is related to the rate of oak blight outbreaks.

Answer choice D is the only remaining answer. The phrase “because of” begins an adverbial phrase, describing how or why something occurs. (This is contrast to the modifier “caused by” which is an adjectival phrase modifying a noun.) Since “because of” begins an adverbial phrase, it cannot modify the noun “oak blight”, but instead modifies the clause beginning with, “There has been a…” This makes perfect sense. It describes how the increase in oak blight was caused by the growing resistance of fungi to herbicides.

The answer is (D).

AaronPond , MartyMurray , KarishmaB

I am confused. Does "caused by growing fungus" in option B modifies "oak blight" or does it modify "occurrence of oak blight". I believe the latter is true. If it is so, then I think B is correct as well. Any comments?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Prateek176 wrote:
I am confused. Does "caused by growing fungus" in option B modifies "oak blight" or does it modify "occurrence of oak blight". I believe the latter is true. If it is so, then I think B is correct as well. Any comments?

Your interpretation of B is tempting.

However, you have left some words out of the modifier.

The modifier is not just "caused by growing fungus". It is "caused by growing fungus resistance against pesticides".

Thus, there are multiple reasons why B is incorrect.

"resistance against" is redundant. Resistance is already against. So "resistance against" is incorrect. We need "resistance to".

Further, what the modifier modifies is not clear. The modifier could modify "oak blight" or "the occurrence of oak blight."

Either way we would a a nonsensical meaning, as it does not make sense that either oak blight or the occurrence of oak blight would be caused by fungus resistance to pesticides.

What does make sense is that the "increase" would be caused by the resistance. So, let's put "caused by" next to "increase".

There has been a significant increase caused by growing fungus resistance against herbicides.

That sentence is a little awkward. We have a verb, "has been" and then, perhaps, another one, "caused". Alternatively, "caused" is a modifier. Either way the sentence created using B is awkward, and with "in the occurrence of oak blight" added to the picture, the sentence is still awkward, while the meaning is less clear.

Let's do the same thing with choice D, eliminate some words to check the structure.

There has been a significant increase because of growing resistance of fungi to herbicides.

OK, that version makes sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
aashu4uiit wrote:
There has been a significant occurrence of oak blight increase caused by growing fungus resistance against herbicides.

D) increase in the occurrence of oak blight due to growing resistance of fungi

Can someone please explain how to solve thus question using Modifiers .

It seems that after edit underlying part has changed but answers did not. Please correct asnwers too because with current structure A,B,C and E do not make sense. Redundancy. Thanks)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts