Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 07:11 It is currently 08 May 2024, 07:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1217 [172]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2264 [93]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28610 [46]
Given Kudos: 130
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [5]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: According to findings derived from functional magnetic resonance [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
gmatter0913 wrote:
According to findings derived from functional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), the area of the brain in which a second or third language is stored depends on the age of the language learner; whereas each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner, language areas overlap in a young child.

(A) whereas each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner,

(B) whereas for adults each language occupies a distinct area of the brain and

(C) each language occupies a distinct area of the brain when they are learned by an adult, while

(D) each language in adults occupied a distinct area of the brain, while

(E) each language occupying a distinct area of the brain for an adult learner, and

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner, but language areas overlap in a young child.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Grammatical Construction + Tenses

• Semicolons and the “comma + conjunction” construction are used to link two independent clauses; commas are used to link an independent clause with a dependent one; comma cannot be used to join two independent clauses.
• "when" is used to refer to a point in time.
• "while" is used to convey a sense of concurrence.
• Statements of universal fact are best conveyed through the simple present tense.
• The simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.

A: Correct. The sentence formed by this answer choice uses the clauses "whereas each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner" and "language areas overlap in a young child"; the use of "whereas" correctly conveys the intended meaning of the sentence - that each language, permanently, occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner, but by contrast language areas overlap in a young child. Further, Option A correctly uses the simple present tense verb "occupies" to refer to a statement of universal fact. Additionally, Option A correctly uses a comma to join the dependent clause "whereas each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner" to the independent clause "language areas overlap in a young child".

B: The sentence formed by this answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the clause "and language areas overlap in a young child"; the use of "and" fails to convey the needed sense of contrast, incorrectly implying that each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner, and also each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner; the intended meaning is that each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner, but by contrast each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner. Further, Option B incorrectly uses conjunction ("and" in this sentence) to join the dependent clause "whereas for adults each language occupies a distinct area of the brain" to the independent clause "language areas overlap in a young child"; remember, semicolons and the “comma + conjunction” construction are used to link two independent clauses; commas are used to link an independent clause with a dependent one; comma cannot be used to join two independent clauses.

C: The sentence formed by this answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrases "when they are learned by an adult" and "while language areas overlap in a young child"; the uses of "when" and "while" incorrectly imply that each language occupies a distinct area of the brain at the specific point in time when they are learned by an adult, and simultaneously language areas overlap in a young child; the intended meaning is that each language, permanently, occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner, but by contrast language areas overlap in a young child; remember, "when" is used to refer to a point in time, and "while" is used to convey a sense of concurrence.

D: The sentence formed by this answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "while language areas overlap in a young child"; the use of "while" incorrectly implies that each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner, and simultaneously language areas overlap in a young child; the intended meaning is that each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner,but by contrast language areas overlap in a young child; remember, "while" is used to convey a sense of concurrence. Further, Option D incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb "occupied" to refer to a statement of universal fact; remember, statements of universal fact are best conveyed through the simple present tense, and the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.

E: The sentence formed by this answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the clause "and language areas overlap in a young child"; the use of "and" fails to convey the needed sense of contrast, incorrectly implying that each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner, and also each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner; the intended meaning is that each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner, but by contrast each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner. Further, Option E incorrectly uses the present participle ("verb+ing" - "occupying" in this sentence) to refer to a statement of universal fact; remember, statements of universal fact are best conveyed through the simple present tense. Additionally, Option E incorrectly uses the "comma + conjunction ("and" in this sentence) construction to join the dependent clause "each language occupying a distinct area of the brain for an adult learner" to the independent clause "language areas overlap in a young child"; remember, semicolons and the “comma + conjunction” construction are used to link two independent clauses; commas are used to link an independent clause with a dependent one; comma cannot be used to join two independent clauses.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the use of "Comma" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~4 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 882 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: According to findings derived from functional magnetic resonance [#permalink]
Kudos
imhimanshu wrote:
Hello fameatop,

Can you please detail the correct usage of "When". Its been increasingly used in incorrect answer choices, so just want to make sure how "When" works.

Thanks
Himanshu

If you are asking about option C then apart from "when", there is another error --> use of plural pronoun "they" to refer to singular noun "each language".

You can find a very good explanation of the usage of "when" by e-gmat in their blog:
https://e-gmat.com/blogs/?p=169

Kudos please if my reply helped you :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [6]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Kudos
A is best here: whereas each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner

reason : note that u need a contrast here
faults:shown in bold

A. whereas each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner,------>correct
B. whereas for adults each language occupies a distinct area of the brain and------------>"and" contradicts the required contrast
C. each language occupies a distinct area of the brain when they are learned by an adult, while
D. each language in adults occupied a distinct area of the brain, while
E. each language occupying a distinct area of the brain for an adult learner, and---->"and" contradicts the required contrast
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
Not clear on why c is incorrect. Could any one please elucidate

C says: each language occupies a distinct area of the brain when they are learned by an adult, while

the construction of "when" is wrong in option C --->it seems to suggest that "these languages" occupy distinct area when they are learned by an adult and not at other times !!!, an interpretation which is wrong
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
mike wrote: The problem with (C) is the pronoun disagreement ----
... each language occupies a distinct area of the brain when they are learned by an adult ...

hi mike
i agree that i missed out on pronoun fault but i feel that had "it" been used instead of "they" then also this option would have been wrong for the reason that i have cited

new version of C: each language occupies a distinct area of the brain when it is learned by an adult, while ------>still wrong

please share your opinion on this
thanks and regards
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28610 [6]
Kudos
Expert Reply
aditya8062 wrote:
hi mike
i agree that i missed out on pronoun fault but i feel that had "it" been used instead of "they" then also this option would have been wrong for the reason that i have cited

new version of C: each language occupies a distinct area of the brain when it is learned by an adult, while ------>still wrong

please share your opinion on this
thanks and regards

Dear aditya8062,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here's version (C), minus the pronoun error:
each language occupies a distinct area of the brain when it is learned by an adult, while language areas overlap in a young child.

Well, hmm, this is not exactly as I would phrase it if I were speaking about this topic, but this is not clearly wrong. If right is white and wrong is black, this is light gray. Not perfect, to be sure, but sometimes the best answer on an official GMAT SC is not perfect, simply the best of the five. Sometimes they right questions of that sort, to punish students who are looking for "perfection."

There is no grammatical error in this version. There is nothing that is clearly and unambiguously wrong. The "while" structure doesn't imply rigid parallelism, and so we don't need to have "each language does X while each language does Y," although tighter parallelism might make the sentence slightly clearly or more persuasive. This is a funny thing about parallelism. Some structures (not only ... but also; both ... and; etc.) absolutely demand parallelism, but others, like this "while" structure, certainly could accommodate parallelism, but parallelism is not strictly necessary.

Does this make sense? Does this answer your questions about it?

Mike :-)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Does this make sense? Does this answer your questions about it?

firstly thanks for putting up your thoughts

my concern was regarding the faulty usage of "when" in the following construction: each language occupies a distinct area of the brain when it is learned by an adult, while ----->according to me it gives a very weird interpretation that "these languages" occupy distinct area when they are learned by an adult and not at other times !!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28610 [5]
Kudos