Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 08:53 It is currently 13 May 2024, 08:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
Send PM
Re: 710 in GMAT. Should I aspire Wharton? [#permalink]
WakeUpCallPal wrote:
Meghana1 wrote:
Hi guys!

Sat for GMAT last week and scored 710. I've been working for 2 years and 8 months. My CGPA is 7.1/10. I aspired to join Wharton. What chances do I stand? If there's any chance, should I apply for Spring 16 now that the R3 deadline for Fall 15 is fast approaching?

Disclosure:
Information in this post and remarks made will contain statements about future events and results that are forward-looking and subject to risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially. These forward-looking statements represent my expectation as of today and, accordingly, are subject to change. I do not undertake any obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statement.

Given the little information provided, I'd say very very very low chances in R3.

Good luck

Thank you! How about Spring 16?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Meghana1 wrote:
WakeUpCallPal wrote:
Meghana1 wrote:
Hi guys!

Sat for GMAT last week and scored 710. I've been working for 2 years and 8 months. My CGPA is 7.1/10. I aspired to join Wharton. What chances do I stand? If there's any chance, should I apply for Spring 16 now that the R3 deadline for Fall 15 is fast approaching?

Disclosure:
Information in this post and remarks made will contain statements about future events and results that are forward-looking and subject to risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially. These forward-looking statements represent my expectation as of today and, accordingly, are subject to change. I do not undertake any obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statement.

Given the little information provided, I'd say very very very low chances in R3.

Good luck

Thank you! How about Spring 16?

Odds should improve. R3 gets tricky with international students (not sure if this is your case).
I believe interviews are only held in Philly.
Visa is another issue.
Fewer slots available as R1 + deferrals + some R2 have been confirmed into the program.

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Meghana1 wrote:
Hi guys!

Hi there, I would hold off until R1 Spring 16 before submitting your application. Judging from the past few years, R1 has a slight higher acceptance rate than R2 and def has a much higher chance than R3. I would really start your campus and class visit right now, and getting your story in place. This year, one of the essays asked "why Wharton?" I don't know if they will ask the same question again but I would def prepare for it since I was asked again this question during my 15 1x1 interview. Your campus / class visit should provide you a better idea and give you an opportunity to talk to the students.

Overall, I think you have a decent chance of making it in R1. I am an Asian American with a similar GMAT range as you :)

Good luck, and PM if you have additional questions!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: CBS '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Bookmarks
I agree on waiting until until round 1. I would say that the last poster who has a score similar to a 710 and got interviews at all those schools is a very unusual case. That is an incredible result, and you must have an absolutely flawless and compelling profile. I got a 760 and only got an interview at 1 of the top 5.

By far the best thing you can do to improve your chances of getting an interview is to connect with/meet in person as many current students and current faculty members at the respective schools as you can. If they take an interest in you and are willing to bring you to the attention of the director of admissions/dean of student life/admissions committee/etc... you are in really good shape.

It is an incredible achievement to get an interview at even one of the top five. They turn away TONS of 99th percentile scores each year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Wildabout wrote:
I agree on waiting until until round 1. I would say that the last poster who has a score similar to a 710 and got interviews at all those schools is a very unusual case. That is an incredible result, and you must have an absolutely flawless and compelling profile. I got a 760 and only got an interview at 1 of the top 5.

By far the best thing you can do to improve your chances of getting an interview is to connect with/meet in person as many current students and current faculty members at the respective schools as you can. If they take an interest in you and are willing to bring you to the attention of the director of admissions/dean of student life/admissions committee/etc... you are in really good shape.

It is an incredible achievement to get an interview at even one of the top five. They turn away TONS of 99th percentile scores each year.

I agree with Wildabout that a 710ish score is in the lower 80% range for H/S/W and that even with a 750+ an interview is still not guaranteed. I will summarize my application process here and hopefully it will be helpful to you.

Started my school search around the same time (Feb/March) last year and scheduled my class visits and trips in early Feb. At the time, I didn't really know anyone except for Tuck and Booth so I decided to email current students from my target schools. I did a quick search on student clubs and found the current leadership contacts and emailed them blindly saying that I will be visiting and was really interested in meeting up. Surprisingly almost everyone responded and I was able to arrange coffee chats with current students when I was on campus for class visits. That was really helpful for me as many of the current students gave really good tips and advise for my application (never had the opportunity to talk with any of the admissions people though). From there I studied for the GMAT but had to pause my studies due to work travels and picked up my studies again late last year. I had to retake the GMAT, which pushed back my application time line so I applied to R2 and was very very fortunate to have 5 interviews.

In conclusion
1) Start your school search/visit right away and connect with the current students, as most of them are very happy to help.
2) If you are applying in R1, I would try to retake the GMAT again and it will def help your chances if you can go from a 710 to a 730. (and don't take any breaks in between your GMAT studies like I did)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: CBS '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
When I started this process, I thought that it was all about GMAT and that meeting with current students/faculty was above and beyond. If I had it to do over again, I would have still worked really hard on the test, but I would have assumed that everyone else is meeting with people and getting their applications forwarded to the appropriate parties by contacts.

My experience has been that I got interviews at 100% of the schools where I was able to connect with people, and only two of the school where I did not. However, of the other two schools one was Northwestern where getting an interview means absolutely nothing and the other was Yale, which is outside the top ten.

Anyway, I am VERY glad I wised up enough to get in touch with people at the schools that I did. As long as I get into one of those, things will be fine. I am slightly concerned that I will go 0 for 4 at the schools I interviewed at, which would SUCK. I cannot begin to describe the hours I spent on the GMAT and essays, etc...
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73171 [0]
Given Kudos: 18949
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Wharton Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Wharton Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Wharton Forum for all fresh things related to the Wharton MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts