Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: IIMA ISB '16
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: The GMAT mock score plateauing at 600. Please guide [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Amrish,

To start, although you did not explicitly state it - what is your goal score? Are we meant to infer from your graph that it's 720?

Given your Scaled Scores on your CATs, you're performing at a remarkably consistent level, which means that you're likely getting the same general types of questions correct and making the same general mistakes over and over. You are not likely going to raise your score 100+ points in 5 days, but you can still take the GMAT as planned. The process of facing the Full Test will serve as a great 'learning experience.' You should NOT be taking any more practice CATs - taking them would not be beneficial now (and you'll need them later on as you continue to study).

Since you've been studying for 3 months, it's probably going to take some time for you to make the necessary adjustments to how you 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT. "Your way" of approaching this Test has gotten you 'stuck' in the low-600s (and you've likely developed some 'bad habits' that will take some time to 'fix').

What resources have you been using during your studies?
Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The GMAT mock score plateauing at 600. Please guide [#permalink]
Hi Rich,

You are correct to infer the target score of 720 for this GMAT. This is my first attempt and want to stay modest considering my current caliber.

Your inference, regarding that I am doing same general mistake in similar types of problems and getting same general problems right, is bang on. Even I have not looked through the analysis from this angle. I will have to stay watchful for those error and try avoiding them in the main exam (I will try).

Not meant to oppose you, but I will still go ahead and take one remaining GMATPrep2 to see if it is the MGMAT mocks that are doing the trick or is it the overall GMAT drill. I will probably take that tomorrow, provided I complete my error analysis by then.

Again, you are absolutely right about my approach towards the test. May be I am missing right guidance. For now I will still go ahead for the planned GMAT (with a hope to defy the odds and get my target score on actual GMAT). If it don't go well, I will then have to look for the right approach.

I give all the test using the IR. Below are the scores for IR in the test order.
MGMAT1 -3,1
GMATP1 - 5,0
MGMAT2 - 3,9
MGMAT3 - 2,4
MGMAT4 - 3,2

AWA - I worte in first two tests and were decent. Have not got those scored by a professional agency; however, compared those with the guidance in OG 13 and they are fairly Ok. I might by wrong, but how can I get those checked, otherwise?

I am referring to the a lot of scattered material, using (free resources) from both MGMAT and e-gmat. Howevever, solved the OG 13 once and referring it back since last week to look for patterns. I am referring to free 90 practice questions from GMATPrep software.

I was planning to apply for school immediately after this test. Now given the score pattern, if not able to get through this time, for sure by Sep 2016.

Thanks for your time and effort in analyzing and guiding further. Looking forward for more piece of advise and continued engagement.

Amrish
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Amrish,

There's nothing wrong with taking your GMAT as scheduled. You should make note of your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on Test Day. That data is remarkably useful when evaluating a Test Taker's performance on the actual GMAT.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC, GMATPill,

As promised I gave a the GMATPrep2 today. Scored 670 (Q49, V33). Was glad to see the improvement for the first time.

Quant (Correct 22, Wrong 15) - Focused a lot on the Number Properties and tried avoiding silly mistakes. A bit of success there. However, left with little time toward last 10 questions, 7 of 10 wrong :(

Verbal (Correct 28, Wrong 13) - Again RC was good. CR and SC are going to be my focus for the remaining days till the exams.

IR - 5

Wrote AWA and again felt it is decent. But as stated earlier, not sure about a way to get it scored officially? Can I post it here?

Now, no more CAT. Going for real GMAT on 30 July.

Thanks
Amrish
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi amrishsoni86,

You can try posting your AWA here:

analytical-writing-assessment-awa-144/

As far as these last few days are concerned, I'd suggest that you stick with some light review, but nothing too 'heavy' - no CRAMMING, no CATs, etc. Try to relax a bit; you'll be better served going into Test Day calm and refreshed than worn out from doing too much last-minute work.

Rich
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi amrishsoni86,

Glad to hear you were able to adjust your test-taking strategies and get your CAT up to a 670. As added encouragement, test takers enrolled in GMAT Tutor often see their scores fluctuate +/- 30 points between attempts, so you're in striking distance of a 700 on your first official attempt.

That being said, in addition to your light review over the next few days, make sure you also take some time for yourself. Do something fun, especially something you haven't had a chance to do recently. You've worked really hard, so you deserve to do something for yourself.

Best of luck,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All,

On Cloud 5, (though not on Cloud 9!). Got my first GMAT score - 680 (Q49, V34, IR2, AWA-)

Thank you so much for your guidance and support! Now will head for admissions. Will see how it goes.

Thanks
Amrish
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi amrish,

That's great news about your Official GMAT. A 680/Q49 is an outstanding score (it's just shy of the 90th percentile overall) and it puts you in position to apply to any Business Schools that interest you.

What Schools are you planning to apply to? And when?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks EMPOWERgmatRichC. Also got the Official Report today, 5.0 in AWA (hope that is good too). I have sent the GMAT score to 5 schools, as listed below -

1. IIM-A
2. IIM-B
3. ISB
4. Kellog
5. INSEAD - France

The first three schools are in India, the other two you know :) I am targeting one year programs.

Planning to apply during this admission cycle. Deadlines for most of the schools are end August / mid September. So speeding up for the application. Let's see how it goes and I will keep this post updated.

Also meanwhile, can you please suggest any good blog (like you suggested for the essay review) for reviewing the admission profiles. I will have to write couple of essays for each application. Want to get those reviewed via blog / professionally to make it look best (given the score of 680).

Thanks again
Amrish
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Amrish,

Since you're applying to some really competitive Programs, you might want to work with an Admissions Expert on your OVERALL applications (and not just on your essays). There is a Forum full of Experts here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

Rich
GMAT Club Bot