Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Re: GMAT: What NOT to do(My experience) [#permalink]
Kudos
EducationAisle wrote:
SakshamSharma1 wrote:
I cried on the way back. I was contemplating suicide.

Oh boy. Saksham, indeed GMAT is just an exam. I am absolutely sure you might be good at a hundred other things; unfortunately, GMAT does not test you on any of those 100 things.

So, don't let GMAT score affect your esteem in any way.

It is not about the GMAT. It feels bad to put your heart and soul into preparation and get nothing out of it. The fact i got fewer marks after studying more baffles me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
I did all the questions from the official guide. BUT i could not get myself to analyze my mistakes. I knew this then. I know this now. Analyzing mistakes is very important. Every top scorer here attributes his or her success to error analysis.

This is your enemy. If you didnt bother looking at the mistakes you made than your score will not improve. Hence a 570. Even though you put in more effort and more studying but just kept doing questions and reading the books without analyzing your weaknesses than you cannot improve.

Keep up and keep studying friend. Do not lose hope!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
bfarooq wrote:
Quote:
I did all the questions from the official guide. BUT i could not get myself to analyze my mistakes. I knew this then. I know this now. Analyzing mistakes is very important. Every top scorer here attributes his or her success to error analysis.

This is your enemy. If you didnt bother looking at the mistakes you made than your score will not improve. Hence a 570. Even though you put in more effort and more studying but just kept doing questions and reading the books without analyzing your weaknesses than you cannot improve.

Keep up and keep studying friend. Do not lose hope!

Yes. I have always known that it was important, but i did not know that it was so important.Thank you! Hopefully i can turn my 570 into a 750 ;)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi SakshamSharma1,

You seem to have a pretty good idea of certain things that you could have done better during your studies, so I won't rehash any of that here. There is a big 'takeaway' from everything that you've experienced: "your way" of doing things will get you a score right around the high 500s on the Official GMAT, so you really cannot afford to continue to study in that way. You will have to make some BIG changes to how you face the entire Test (including Reading Comp) to hit a 750+. You'll need a structured study plan and an emphasis on tactics; all of this will take time, effort and a commitment to the task at hand. That last part (the commitment) seems to be your biggest 'issue' throughout everything you've described.

Many Test Takers who use a "book heavy" study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular scoring level, and that's likely a part of what happened to. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. For this next round of studies, you're almost certainly going to need to invest in a GMAT Course of some type.

It wasn't clear from your posts, but when are you planning to apply to Business School? Do you know which Schools you want to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts