Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:52 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619084 [4]
Given Kudos: 81596
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619084 [2]
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Currently, there are 40 cars in each row of the lot at a car dealershi [#permalink]
pushpitkc niks18 Hatakekakashi chetan2u
amanvermagmat

Is below approach most efficient?

Quote:
Q stem: Currently, there are 40 cars in each row of the lot at a car dealership. If the parking spaces are to be widened and lengthened so that only 30 cars fit in each row and fewer rows fit in the lot, how many cars will then fit in the entire lot?

This can be broken down:

Let total no of cars be x and there are total y rows.

40 * y = x

We are changing parking area so that

30 * z = x ; Also z < y

Question is : What is x?

Quote:
(1) There will be 3 fewer rows of cars.

z is less than y; Not suff since no idea about x

Quote:
(2) Currently there are 10 rows of cars.

Now we know value of z, so x = 300. What am I missing here?
OE in past tense is confusing me :(

Had this St been Currently there are 10 no of cars in each row.

Would this alone be suff?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Re: Currently, there are 40 cars in each row of the lot at a car dealershi [#permalink]
adkikani wrote:
pushpitkc niks18 Hatakekakashi chetan2u
amanvermagmat

Is below approach most efficient?

Quote:
Q stem: Currently, there are 40 cars in each row of the lot at a car dealership. If the parking spaces are to be widened and lengthened so that only 30 cars fit in each row and fewer rows fit in the lot, how many cars will then fit in the entire lot?

This can be broken down:

Let total no of cars be x and there are total y rows.

40 * y = x

We are changing parking area so that

30 * z = x ; Also z < y

Question is : What is x?

Quote:
(1) There will be 3 fewer rows of cars.

z is less than y; Not suff since no idea about x

Quote:
(2) Currently there are 10 rows of cars.

Now we know value of z, so x = 300. What am I missing here?
OE in past tense is confusing me :(

Had this St been Currently there are 10 no of cars in each row.

Would this alone be suff?

Hi adkikani

If you read the question carefully, there are two Scenarios given and in both the scenarios number of cars in each row is given 40 & 30. What is missing is "Number of Rows". Finally you need to find the Total number of cars in the second scenario.

So you need to analyses the statements and try to find out total number of rows in the Second scenario.

Statement 1 gives relationship between number of rows from first and second scenario and Statement 2 gives total number of rows in the first scenario. So combining both these statements you can find total number of rows in the second lot
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Currently, there are 40 cars in each row of the lot at a car dealershi [#permalink]
Statement 1. Since we don’t know the current number of rows in the parking lot, we cannot answer this question. Hence, Insufficient.
Statement 2. Since we don’t know the reduced no of rows in the parking lot, we cannot answer it using statement 2 alone. Hence, Insufficient.
Statement 1 & 2 together. Now, we know the now of rows and the no of cars in each row. So, we can calculate the no of cars that can fit in the parking lot. i.e.
30(cars in each row) x 7( no of rows)= 210 cars. Hence , Sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
I am confused with the phrase, "If the parking spaces are to be widened and lengthened..." If the parking spaces are widened and lengthened, more cars would fit not less.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619084 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
jack0997 wrote:
I am confused with the phrase, "If the parking spaces are to be widened and lengthened..." If the parking spaces are widened and lengthened, more cars would fit not less.

The question means that individual parking spaces are to be widened and lengthened, while the total parking lot remains the same size.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
jack0997 wrote:

The question means that individual parking spaces are to be widened and lengthened, while the total parking lot remains the same size.

Thank you, Bunuel for clarifying.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92918 posts