Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [8]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2006 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [1]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [2]
Send PM
GMAT Club Review Verification - Are they Fake? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Of course some of the reviews are fake. There is too much money in the field of GMAT prep for there not to be some dishonest actors. More generally speaking, we human beings have a tendency to be dishonest. Combine that with the anonymity of the online experience, and you get a ton of misinformation.

I would also venture that most of the reviews are real, but a lot of the reviews do seem awfully suspicious, like they were written by the companies themselves. That's why I ask my students to review my services on Yelp--verified reviews are Yelp's specialty. In fact, Yelp goes further than that, since I've had a ton of actual student reviews filtered by the system!

Of course, even on Yelp there are fake positive reviews, as well as fake negative reviews written by envious competitors. It's a rough world out there.

I would say that GMATClub's / Google's policy is "when it doubt, post the review" and Yelp's policy is "when in doubt, filter the review." That doesn't mean that one approach is necessarily better than the other. I do like the freedom of an open forum such as GMATClub, where very little is censored and all voices are allowed to be heard, but we must always remember to think critically about people's motivations, and to understand that you can't always trust what you read on the internet. :wink:

The main question I have is - what prompted you to post this? Saying that chances are, some reviews are fake is equivalent of saying chances are there are aliens in the universe and we should all wear tin foil hats. As to the bragging you do on Yelp, they have some shady practices and the fact that you are not even aware of them, throws even more doubt on the purpose of your post.

P.S. While there are no absolutes, it is much easier and cheaper to fake a review on Yelp than on GMAT Club.

Edit: Just saw that a year ago you have claimed you got banned for 20 days for posting this [link to Reddit]. I doubt it but it has been almost 3 years, and you have done many stupid things on GMAT Club over the last 5 years.... but we do not have an option to ban for 20 days. The system only allows to ban for 2 weeks or a month, so you are exaggerating, which it seems that and many of your other posts come from an inferiority complex with your size

Originally posted by bb on 24 Apr 2017, 19:26.
Last edited by bb on 26 Dec 2019, 11:32, edited 2 times in total.
note about reddit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
Re: GMAT Club Review Verification - Are they Fake? [#permalink]
bb wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Of course some of the reviews are fake. There is too much money in the field of GMAT prep for there not to be some dishonest actors. More generally speaking, we human beings have a tendency to be dishonest. Combine that with the anonymity of the online experience, and you get a ton of misinformation.

I would also venture that most of the reviews are real, but a lot of the reviews do seem awfully suspicious, like they were written by the companies themselves. That's why I ask my students to review my services on Yelp--verified reviews are Yelp's specialty. In fact, Yelp goes further than that, since I've had a ton of actual student reviews filtered by the system!

Of course, even on Yelp there are fake positive reviews, as well as fake negative reviews written by envious competitors. It's a rough world out there.

I would say that GMATClub's / Google's policy is "when it doubt, post the review" and Yelp's policy is "when in doubt, filter the review." That doesn't mean that one approach is necessarily better than the other. I do like the freedom of an open forum such as GMATClub, where very little is censored and all voices are allowed to be heard, but we must always remember to think critically about people's motivations, and to understand that you can't always trust what you read on the internet. :wink:

The main question I have is - what prompted you to post this? Saying that chances are, some reviews are fake is equivalent of saying chances are there are aliens in the universe and we should all wear tin foil hats. As to the bragging you do on Yelp, they have some shady practices and the fact that you are not even aware of them, throws even more doubt on the purpose of your post.

P.S. While there are no absolutes, it is much easier and cheaper to fake a review on Yelp than on GMAT Club.

bb I'm unable to verify my score report. Could you look into this?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Your score report is now confirmed. I was able to confirm it with the information you had. I am not sure why it was not going through for you at the moment.
GMAT Club Bot