Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: EMPOWERgmat Blog [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Monday Mail-Bag: Advice on Big Picture Issues That Impact GMAT Test Takers…

This series of emails and PMs focuses on situations that many Test Takers face during their studies. The names of the original posters have been changed to protect their identities.

Thoroughness on DS Questions
Hey Rich,

I’m having trouble with DS.

Is x > y?
2) |y - x| = x - y

I chose to do algebra. Therefore we have y-x=x-y => 2y=2x =>x=y

1=1 2=2 3=3 and thus x is not greater than y when tested against the question stem. So the answer is should be B. But it is NOT B and I don’t understand why.

This is simply not fair. Different techniques give us different answers, How is this possible? If I was writing my test today I would answer it as B. How does one get questions like this right? One technique may give you a totally different answer..

Goram

Hi Goram,

In DS questions, you have to be a bit cynical of the given information. There will ALWAYS be at least one result that you can "figure out"; however, DS questions are built to test your THOROUGHNESS, so keep your eyes open for OTHER possibilities.

In this prompt, we're asked "Is X > Y?" This is a YES/NO question.

IF X is greater than Y, then the answer is YES
IF Y is greater than X, then the answer is NO
IF X is EQUAL to Y, then the answer is NO

You have to consider all of the possibilities. If you DON’T consider them, then you might have an incomplete answer. That does NOT mean that it’s a ‘different’ answer – it means that it’s an INCORRECT answer.

TESTing Values is a great way to work through the various possibilities (and to make sure that you don't "miss" anything). As it stands, TESTing Values works well on most DS questions (and many Problem Solving questions); here, you can TEST VALUES and prove that X > Y is a possibility and X=Y is a possibility.

‘Symbolism’ Questions on the GMAT
Rich,

Please help me understand the following question:

For a finite sequence of non zero numbers, the number of variations in sign is defined as the number of pairs of consecutive terms of sequence for which the product of two consecutive terms is negative. what is the number of variations in sign for the sequence 1,-3,2,5,-4,-6 ?

a. one
b. two
c. three
d. four
e. five

Harvey

Hi Harvey,

The GMAT Quant section usually includes at least one "symbolism" question that will either "make up" a math symbol (and ask you to perform a calculation with it) OR make up a math phrase/concept and ask you to use the concept to answer a question.

These questions are essentially about following instructions.

Here, we're asked to take the PRODUCT of TWO CONSECUTIVE terms. If the product is NEGATIVE, then we have a "variation." So, given the included sequence of numbers, how many "variations" are there? To get to the correct answer, you need to work through every pair of consecutive terms (and you would find 3 "variations" – 1 & -3, -3 & 2, and 5 & -4)

These types of questions can sometimes take a little time to solve, but are some of the easiest "math" questions on the exam.

Verbal Note-taking and Pacing
Dear Rich,

How frequently should notes be taken in the Verbal section? In my last mock, when I realized that I was getting tired or couldn't understand the question, I did not take notes. Also, what should be the average time to read a passage and take notes?

Imelda

Hi Imelda,

I take some type of notes on EVERY question, even on SCs. It's the only way to make sure that I'm focused on the "right things" and catching the specific information that I need to answer the questions.

For CR questions, you should expect to spend 2 minutes, on average, per question. Keep in mind that some questions take more time and some take less.

For RC questions, each company/instructor has its/his/her own Tactics, but we teach that you should expect to read at a reasonable pace with the goal of ‘engaging’ with the prompt. Obviously, a longer prompt takes more time and a shorter prompt takes less time, but you’d be amazed how little time it actually takes to read a prompt and take some basic notes. About half the time, your notes will be enough to answer the question; the other half of the time, you'll need to go back and "hunt" through the original passage to find what you need.

This will take some time to practice. Focus on your accuracy first; speed and pacing only matter once you know how to properly handle the questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply

This series of emails and PMs focuses on situations that many Test Takers face during their studies. The names of the original posters have been changed to protect their identities.

Scaled Scores Usually (But Not Always) Lead to the Same Overall Score
Hi Rich,

I have a question. My friend took GMAT last month and got 700 (Q 48; V 37)

Is it always true that if I can get Q 48 and V 37 then my final score will be 700?
I know the percentile changes over time, but I’m gonna take GMAT next month and if I score Q 48, V 37 will my score be the same?

Jaxon

Hi Jaxon,

Scaled Scores tend to lead to a consistent result although there is a slight bell curve that can occasionally throw the overall result ‘off ‘ a bit (usually not more than 10 points in either direction though). This is meant to say that if you earn a Quant Scaled Score of 48 and a Verbal Scaled Score of 37, then you’ll likely get a 700, but it could be a 690 or 710.

DS “Design” Shortcuts
Dear Rich,

I am unable to comprehend the second statement in this DS question.

What is the value of n?

1. n is between 0 and 1
2. 7/16 is 3/8 more than n

Kedzie

Hi Kedzie,

DS questions are often built around certain patterns (Number Property Rules, etc.) that are useful to know. In that same way, there are ‘design’ patterns that can help you to avoid doing certain calculations. Here’s one particular rule that you'll find useful on DS questions:

"One simple variable, one equation… I can solve it"

For example, X + 4 = 10

Here, we have one simple variable and one equation, which means that we CAN solve it. In a DS question, we don't have to solve it to know that there is ONLY ONE ANSWER. By definition, with ONLY ONE answer, a Fact is considered SUFFICIENT, regardless of what the answer actually is.

In Fact 2, we're told that 7/16 = 3/8 + N

While this is a bit more complex-looking than normal, it is still just "one simple variable, one equation…", so you CAN solve it and answer the question. This is a SUFFICIENT piece of data.

Exam Pack CATs Provide Accurate Results When Used Correctly
Rich,

My question may sound weird but here it goes.
Over the last 2.5 months, I had consistently been getting scores in the range of 640 to 670 in the gmat prep and Mgmat exams since starting my prep 1 month ago. But last week I bought the exam pack 1 and have scored 710 and 700.. I don't understand this sudden increase in score. I have taken the exam under strict test conditions along with the AWA. So my question is "Is the difficulty level of the pack very less? or has my preparation really started to bring in the results?" My gmat is in 8 days.

Louis

Hi Louis,

It's possible (even likely) that you're starting to get comfortable with the "GMAT mindset" needed to score at a high level. You've seen enough material to know what to expect and your skills have improved/adapted to handle the rigors of a full GMAT CAT. As long as you've been taking the ENTIRE practice CAT each time (and not skipping any sections or doing anything else "unrealistic", then we can use those results as a reliable indicator of your ability.

Since you're scoring better now, you should stick to your routine. Don't try to do too much and don't take any full CATs too close to Test Day.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply

Triage-ing Rare Question Types
Hi Rich,

In the math section, I strongly dislike mixture problems and in the verbal section, I strongly dislike the 2 part boldface questions. If time is an issue, would it be wise for me to skip these questions right away to save time? Test day is this Wednesday so instead of trying to get better at those question types, I would just keep on going through everything else.

Manos

Hi Manos,

For the sake of performing well on each of the overall sections, you would likely find it beneficial to dump a few questions that are "problematic", so that you can spend more time on the other questions (and on finishing the section on time). The categories that you mentioned are relative rarities on the GMAT – you’ll likely see just 1-2 Mixture questions and 0-1 Bolded Statement questions on the Official GMAT, so dumping those questions wouldn’t hurt your score much (if at all), especially if you’re using your time to correctly answer other questions.

GMAT Score Needed to Be Competitive at a Top Program
Dear Rich,

I plan to apply for the top 10 B-school in US and/or the top 5 of Europe. Kindly let me know the kind of score I should get to have a realistic chance of getting into any of them. Thanks.

Norrington

Hi Norrington,

Your questions are probably better answered by Admissions Consultants, so I'd recommend that you contact experts in that field (some of them post in the Admissions Forum on this site). The short answer is that the Top Programs have their pick of the best applicants every year, so those schools can be very selective and the application process is competitive. As such, you’ll need to have a competitive GMAT score, a strong OVERALL profile and you have to make sure that you’re properly ‘marketing’ yourself in your applications and interviews. "Realistic" is an interesting word in this situation, since the Top Business Schools can only accept a certain number of students; this means that 70% - 95% of applicants will be rejected. Most applicants will want to have a 700+ overall score with a high Quant Scaled Score, although there's some "wiggle room" if other aspects of your application are extraordinary (meaning that applicants get into Top Programs every year with GMAT scores in the 600s).

Retaking the GMAC CATs For Extra Practice Questions
Rich,

I was wondering how many repeats does it take to squeeze the GMATPrep1 dry? Meaning how many tries would it take to get all of the questions out of that test?

Ozzy

Hi Ozzy,

I'm a big fan of the free material that's available from https://www.mba.com (the practice CATs and problems), but I have to ask WHY you'd be focused on squeezing every available question out of the software? Plenty of fantastic practice material can be found elsewhere (and at a reasonable price). I imagine that your time is valuable, so you might be better served purchasing the OG (or the supplemental books) and practicing with those, rather than retaking and retaking and retaking those practice CATs. If you’re looking for suggestions for practice materials, then I'd be happy to recommend some additional resources. If you're looking for advice on how to put together a "plan of attack" for prepping for the GMAT, then feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
You CAN Cement Your Future With the Choices that YOU Make in 2016

We’re now through the first full week of 2016 and this is a time of year when many people look to define their goals for the coming 12 months. The start of any year can be seen as representative of the potential for new opportunities, journeys and challenges and it can provide you with a great ‘leaping off’ point for some career-defining (and future-defining) work. Since you’re reading this article, you’re almost certainly considering Business School as part of that future. You might even be in the process of working on your applications, studying to take the GMAT or just beginning to gather information on the entire process. Regardless of what ‘step’ you might be on, now is the perfect time to make some big choices that will most certainly impact your future.

For those Working On Round 2 or Round 3 Application Deadlines:

At this time of year, application deadlines are certainly coming up fast. Many applicants become so ‘locked in’ to a particular set of deadlines that they miss out on the bigger picture issues. Business School Admissions Officers are savvy people – they know when an applicant ‘looks good’ and when an applicant doesn’t (or is just ‘so so’). Each applicant has one chance to make an amazing first impression - and if you don’t think that your application truly provides that impression, then something has to be done about that.

When applying to highly ranked, competitive Programs, the level of competition is remarkably high. Schools such as Stanford and Harvard typically accept just 6%-10% of applicants during any given year. It’s worth noting that almost all of the applicants who don’t receive an invite to those Schools ARE exceptional applicants, but something clearly could have been better in their applications. To that end, a higher GMAT score MIGHT be the issue, but it’s usually beneficial to consult with an Admissions Expert on your OVERALL application to be sure. While that service can be expensive, the expertise provided cannot be randomly found online for free.

For those Rushing to make a Round 2 Deadline:

Here’s a straight-forward question that should help you to prioritize your goals:

What’s MORE important… getting your application in for Round 2 OR greatly increasing your chances of getting into your first-choice Business School?

Business School is rarely a ‘right now or never’ opportunity. While it’s understandable that most applicants would rather get accepted to Business School sooner rather than later, rushing to try to make a deadline (especially to a competitive Program) is usually NOT a good idea. Applicants who rush often present an application that falls short of their potential and THAT is something that must be avoided. For practical purposes, it might actually be best for your FUTURE if you push back your application deadline to a later Round (in this case, Round 3) or to the next application cycle (which typically begins in September). While that choice usually doesn’t make applicants happy, the BIG PICTURE goal is what matters. Having an extra 6 months to put together an amazing OVERALL application with a fantastic GMAT score would almost certainly increase your chances of getting into your first-choice Business School (and would certainly be better than rushing forward at the last minute with a hastily assembled application).

For those Just Beginning their GMAT Studies:

The following article applies to you no matter when you begin your GMAT studies…

https://www.topmba.com/blog/5-important- ... at-studies

Remember that every part of this process is standardized and predictable, so you don’t have to stumble through it on your own. There are Experts at every point in the process who can help you to succeed.

To that end, we’re here to help.

GMAT assassins aren’t born, they’re made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply

The 2 Most Recent Official Guides
Hi Rich,

Is it important to buy official guide 2016. I already have OG 2015.
Are the questions in OG 2016 are different from OG 2015?

Penelope

Hi Penelope,

Most of the questions in the GMAT2016 are also in the GMAT2015 (although approximately 25% of the content in the 2015 version has been replaced in the 2016 version). The relative cost of buying the newer book to get those new questions is relatively low though, so doing so is up to you. If you're interested in more "official material" that you don't already own, then you might consider purchasing the subject specific books (Quant, Verbal) and downloading the practice material from https://www.mba.com (2 practice CATs and practice problems).

Specific Vocabulary in DS Questions
Dear Rich,

Can you please assist with this?

The four sides of quadrilateral JKLM have equal length. What is the length of
diagonal JL?

(1) JK = 2
(2) KM = 2

When I tried to solve this problem I assumed that JKLM is a square but I guess it is a rhombus. I was wondering how can I decide whether it is a square or a rhombus given that the question says all sides are equal.

Qiara

HI Qiara,

This DS question, while a bit complex, serves as a great lesson that you can apply to ALL DS questions: be CAREFUL about your assumptions.

If the prompt wanted you to know that you were dealing with a square, then it would have used the word "square." By using the word "quadrilateral", you have to ask yourself what THAT word really means. I know that I'm dealing with a 4-sided shape, but I'm not sure what type (is it a square, rectangle, parallelogram, rhombus?). With the added information about how the four sides have equal length, that narrows it down to a square or a rhombus. Each of those shapes would have an impact on the answer to the give question.

DS questions often put an emphasis on the "thoroughness" of your thinking, so make sure that you are careful to consider more than just the obvious possibilities.

Minimal AWA Requirements at Most Schools
Rich,

Just got my official results... I’m very disappointed in my AWA score...

Q 48
V 37
IR 8
AWA 4

Will that affect my application??

Rothschild

Hi Rothschild,

With a 690/Q48, you've got a fantastic score (it’s just shy of the 90th percentile overall) to apply to Business School. Your AWA score is fine. The 4.0 “level” is the minimum acceptable level for almost all MBA programs. While it's not a particularly high "percentile", it does mean that your application won't be hurt by it.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
How to Proceed IF You’ve Been Invited To Retake the GMAT With the Sections in a DIFFERENT Order

Over the course of the last several days, there have been several posts from site users who have received an invitation to retake the GMAT under special ‘conditions.’ This is apparently a short-term ‘trial program’ that GMAC is using as something of an experiment (with the possibility of a long-term rollout at some point in the future). All invitees have already taken the GMAT before AND have canceled a prior score. Since the trial seems to be restricted to a roughly 2-week span (from late February to early March), and it is just an experiment, only a relatively small percentage of Test Takers have (or will) receive the offer to participate.

Test Takers will be allowed to choose from one of 4 new ‘options’ that include the following ‘ordering’ of sections:

1) Quant/Verbal/IR/AWA
2) Quant/Verbal/AWA/IR
3) Verbal/Quant/IR/AWA
4) AWA/IR/Verbal/Quant

Since many Test Takers see a drop-off in performance during the latter part of the Test, there's certainly something to be said for dealing with the more valuable sections (Quant and Verbal) earlier on - when you have more energy and before fatigue has set in. The big question for any Test Taker is whether you need a little time to 'warm up' or not before starting that first section (whether it’s Quant or Verbal). If a Test Taker were to start with the Verbal section BUT was not fully in 'test mode', then that Test Taker might end up making some mistakes in the early part of that section (and hurt his/her scores because of it).

Since all of the other standard Test Taking rules supposedly apply, the ‘worst case’ scenario is just ending up with another score that you might find unacceptable – so cancelling that score would be the ultimate result.

All things being equal, any option that pushes the AWA and IR sections to the ‘back’ of the Test is likely going to be beneficial for Test Takers. Of course, all of the other aspects of Test Day need to be planned for (getting a proper night’s sleep, eating breakfast, morning ‘routine’ and warm-up, strategic use of the two 8-minute breaks, etc.).

If you are one of those Test Takers who’s going to retest under one of these 4 options, then you’ll have to make some adjustments to your studies. Unfortunately, there are no CATs that currently allow for a Test Taker to ‘shuffle’ the sections around, so taking practice CATs in a new order will be tricky. You may have to ‘chop up’ two CATs and ‘glue’ the Scaled Scores to approximate an overall score. You could also potentially take a GMATClub Test for the Quant and Verbal sections, or take one ClubTest, then take the other section (Quant or Verbal, whichever would be second) from a standard Full-length CAT.

As tedious as this all might be, it does represent an interesting time to be taking the GMAT. If you are one of the few that tests under these conditions, then you should plan to post back in the Forums (the General GMAT Questions/Strategy Forum or Share GMAT Experience Forum) – it’s likely that many users would like to hear about your experience.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Complex Math vs. Easier Approaches in the Quant Section
Rich,

How often will I see complex exponent questions like this on the GMAT:

If 4^a + 4^a+1 = 4^a+2 - 176, what is the value of a?

How much time should I spend learning to do this type of math?

Smithers

Hi Smithers,

While there are several ways to approach this type of question, I'd like to reiterate that the GMAT will rarely require that you do complex math to answer a given Quant question. As such, there is almost always another way to get the solution that will involve easier ‘work.’ Here, using the answers to your advantage can help you to solve this type of question relatively quickly.

We know that 4^a, 4^(a+1) and 4^(a+2) are three consecutive "powers of 4", so we could just "map out” the possibilities and find the option that fits the given equation.

4^0 = 1
4^1 = 4
4^2 = 16
4^3 = 64
4^4 = 256
4^5 = 1024

Now, which 3 consecutive "powers of 4" fit the given equation (hint: the "-176" is a specific value)?

It's got to be 2, 3 and 4….
4^2 + 4^3 = 4^4 – 176
16 + 64 = 256 – 176
80 = 80

…so a = 2. Notice how all I really did was some basic arithmetic to get to the solution. Keep a flexible mind and realize that learning how to do complex math is not a requirement to earn a high Quant Scaled Score on Test Day.

Advice with 15 Days to Go and Scoring in the High 600s
Dear Rich,

Please can you suggest what my strategy should be for the next 15 days – I’m trying to raise my score from 680 on my last mock to 730. I really really really want to improve my score and I understand that a 50 point improvement in 15 days isn't going to be easy. I have planned to do a series of 5 mocks before my actual exam, but apart from that what kind of questions should I focus on?

Travis

Hi Travis,

With a 680, you’re already scoring at a really high level overall, so you’ll have to nit-pick your performance when you review this CAT. What types of questions were you getting wrong and WHY. With only 15 days to go, you should be focused on honing your ‘precision’ – eliminating little mistakes, taking better notes, NOT doing work ‘in your head’, etc. You’d be amazed how quickly and easily you can pick up points once you remove the little errors from your work.

Your plan to take 5 CATs in 2 weeks is a TERRIBLE IDEA. You should plan to take 1 CAT/week at most (and be sure to take the ENTIRE CAT) and spend the rest of your time studying. Taking lots of CATs in a short period of time will NOT make you a better Test Taker.

The Reality of Answer A in Sentence Corrections
Hi Rich,

I am working on SC practice and have noticed that many answer choices in certain practice materials are A. If A is not eliminated off the bat, and I am stuck with a second choice, is it better for my odds to just choose A?

Ulysses

Hi Ulysses,

The GMAT tends to evenly distribute the answer choices throughout each section during the exam. As such, answer A will be correct about 20% of the time (since there are 5 answer choices to each question). Since you’re going to see approximately 15 SCs on Test Day, it stands to reason that about 3 of them would be fine the way that they're written. This doesn't necessarily mean that you have "better odds" by picking A, but you do have to be comfortable with the idea that there might not be any errors in the original sentence.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
3 Ways to Potentially Improve Your Overall Application (Even After You’ve Sent It In!)

During application season, most Business School applicants assume that once they’ve submitted their applications that the process of applying to Business School is ostensibly over. While they are certainly free to believe that (and can ‘rest on their laurels’), they’re missing out on several steps that they can take to potentially improve the strength of their overall applications.

Most Business Schools receive thousands of applications across the application Rounds. All of those applications take time to review – often weeks or even months can go by before an Admissions Committee has decided whom to invite to attend School. Forward-thinking applicants can use that time to their advantage in any of the following ways:

1 - Retake the GMAT and score higher – Every Business School has what it considers an acceptable ‘range’ of GMAT scores that the School expects each applicant to score in (and the lower end of that range for most Programs would likely surprise most applicants). If you have a concern that your current GMAT score is only ‘good enough’, then there’s the potential to retest and submit a higher score. With GMAC’s new retesting policies, you have the ability to take the GMAT every 16 days (but no more than 5 times in any 12 month period). You could potentially take the GMAT another 2-3 times while the Admissions Committees are reviewing applications. With the proper study materials and a little extra study time, you could replace a strong GMAT score with an amazing one.

2 – Request an Interview – Certain Programs require an interview as part of the application process, while others keep it as an optional part (they tend to interview applicants who they ‘like’ but are not completely ‘sold’ on) and others don’t do interviews at all. One of the subtle things that Business School AdComs look for in applicants is ‘degree of interest’ in that specific Business School. Every applicant clearly is interested in attending (since they all applied), but there is a marked level of difference between someone who just sends in the application and someone who reaches out to request an interview. Additionally, Schools often encourage an Applicant to visit the Campus and take a guided tour, sit in on some classes, connect with current students and meet members of the Admissions Committee. Each of these activities can go a long way in conveying how serious you are in attending that Program.

If you’re granted an interview, then that’s great – you’ll have the opportunity to go in and really ‘market yourself’ directly to the people who decide who to invite. If you’re not granted an interview, you might still get the subtle ‘credit’ that comes with asking for one.

3 – Report any significant accomplishments that occur (promotions, awards, etc.) – This one is generally a far rarer opportunity than the other two, but still has the potential to make a difference. All Schools (and especially the ultra-competitive ones) are looking for “leaders”, so anything that you can offer that proves your ability to lead (or achieve) can serve as an extra reminder of how fantastic an applicant you are. The fact that you’re also able to make big achievements while in the process of putting together your applications and/or immediately after applying has the added benefit of showing that you can succeed in multiple ways in the same general timeframe.

Much of the work that would go into these tasks comes down to the individual. However, it’s important to make sure that your efforts are respectful of the process. You can always communicate with the respective Admissions Office(s) to schedule a visit or if planning to submit supplemental information.

When it comes to improving your GMAT score though, there are almost certainly study materials that you haven’t tried and areas that you can still improve on. Considering the grand ‘scale’ of what goes into applying to Business School, the fact that you can still make a significant improvement with just a little more effort (and AFTER the application deadlines have passed) is something that every applicant has to consider. To that end, we’re here to help.

GMAT assassins aren’t born, they’re made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply

One CAT After 2 Months is NOT Enough
Dear Rich,

I am over 2 months into my preparation which included going through several books and I am currently doing OG 2016th Edition. Last week I took my first diagnostic test to gauge my level and scored a 620, but there were pacing problems in both the math and verbal sections. How do I improve my pacing?

Vivian

Hi Vivian,

Taking FULL-LENGTH CATs (including the Essay and IR sections) on a regular basis is essential to your overall improvement in ALL areas (not just your scores). There are aspects to your overall training that can ONLY be defined (and improved) by taking those CATs. Many Test Takers experience pacing ‘issues’ in either the Quant or Verbal sections (or both). One of the benefits of taking CATs is that you’ll learn to be more ‘efficient’ with the time that you have – and you’ll learn how to make ‘pressure’ decisions (such as when you get ‘stuck’ on a question and have to guess and move on). As such, instead of waiting so long before your next CAT, I'd suggest that you plan on taking one FULL CAT every 1-2 weeks. As you get closer to your Official Test Date, you'll want to increase the frequency to 1 CAT/week.

A ‘Stuck’ Verbal Score Often Means Too Much “Guessing”
Rich,

I just gave my GMATprep-2 and scored a 650(Q48, V31). My last 3 CATs were all V30-V31. I got in SC 12/17 correct, in CR 6/10 correct and in RC 5/13 correct. Please suggest what further can be achieved in the next 20 days. My goal is at least 700.

Wiggins

Hi Wiggins,

If your Verbal Scaled Scores are that consistent, then you have to look at your "mechanics." You're clearly doing certain things well (and consistently), but you're likely making the same mistakes consistently. I'd suggest that you go through the ENTIRE Verbal section of this last CAT. Count up the number of times that you "narrowed it down and guessed." How many times did you get the question right? How many times did you get the question wrong? THAT level of instability is one of the things that’s keeping you from 700+ right now. It means that you need to do a little bit more Tactical ‘work’ to hone in on the correct answer and eliminate some of the ‘guess-work’ from how you approach the Verbal section as a whole.

Questionable Practice Materials From Questionable Sources
Hi Rich,

How would you approach this question?

Is |x -y| > |x| + |y|?

(1) y < x

(2) xy < 0

Xavier

Hi Xavier,

There’s something interesting about this prompt – it has not been properly designed. GMAT prompts NEVER start you off with enough information to answer the given question. This prompt can be answered as “Sufficient NO” without any additional information (re: the information in either of the two Facts). As such, it is "faulty" and should not be used. If the source of this question is not well-known (re: reputable), then you might want to consider NOT using any other questions from this source – there are plenty of other sources for realistic (and accurately designed) GMAT prompts.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM