Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Re: Two internships in one summer [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I'll give you a slightly different perspective. One of my former clients did two internships actually and it worked out quite well (the client received offers from both companies). I agree, it is certainly challenging and means you probably won't have any time off during the summer. That said, if you are a top quality candidate, it is a good way to experience two different industries and decide which you like better. I say that you should be top quality because you will have less time to impress your boss at work.

By the way if you want to do this, I recommend recruiting for both and once you get the offers, start negotiating to shorten the internship.

Good luck! Are you starting school this year or still applying to schools?
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Some people will definitely try to squeeze two internships into one summer. Obviously it will help if you attend a school with a longer summer break. A school like University of Michigan Ross has a twelve week break. Allowing most students to do the standard eight week internship and then potentially add on another four week internship. Typically at a start up or non profit they are interested in. It's certainly not the normal route, but can probably be done if you are interested.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I think it's okay if you are good at time management. You can learn more during the busy time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Not sure if helpful, but I did this during one of my law school summer breaks. I think what I learned was generally applicable though. One was 8 weeks, the other 4. It was a pretty packed summer, but I made great contacts at both places and learned a lot about what I wanted and didn't want to do—plus it was just a quick/efficient way to get more experience on the resume.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools: Kellogg School of Management - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
I think doing 2 summer internships - if you have the time and bandwidth - is a good idea, as you are experimenting and it gives you more coverage for experimentation. I did know some people who squeezed in 2 summer internships; for example, one classmate back in Kellogg did internship 1 PE + internship 2 tech startup, another did internship 1 corporate + internship 2 nonprofit. Personally, I did one summer consulting internship and then did a 2 week project for a social enterprise in Guatemala (the 2 week project kind of served as a mini-second internship, as I had to lead KWEST trip in August and did not have time for a full second internship).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
If it is possible to complete two internship training program in one summer, If you have more time. This training you can complete in various domains or same technologies according to your choice. If you want to complete best summer training program then visit at:- https://www.cetpainfotech.com/summer-training
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
At first I thought you mean simultaneously and was like :dazed
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think it's okay if you are good at time management.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
angelfire213 wrote:
Has anyone done this? The summers are so long that I was wondering if it was possible to fit in 2 internships?

Obviously I know you couldn't squeeze two consulting internships or to BM internships... but say consulting and something in entertainment? I'm not sure which path i want to take - so hoping to hear someone has made this happen

There are a lot of rising 2nd year MBAs who complete 2 internships in 1 summer, but there are important things to consider about this strategy.

Most US banking/consulting/general management official internship programs are 10-12 weeks long. Because employers typically have interns from many different MBA programs (including Stanford, which lets out really late vs. Wharton, which lets out earlier), these internships are usually smack dab in the MIDDLE of most MBA summers. If you want to do one of these "traditional" internships as a rising second year, your 2nd internship will necessarily be shorter. You could, of course, ask the banking/consulting/general management employer if you could shorten your internship with them, and they might oblige, but that may make you look less serious as a full-time offer candidate and thus may be sub-optimal. Shortening your internship also cuts short the amount of impact and work product that you could produce in your summer, which may also be costly for you from an offer-probability perspective.

For a traditional employer in the banking/management consulting/general management industries, "getting the offer" is really important (even if you realize during the internship that you don't want to return in a full-time capacity). This is because when you back back 2nd year to recruit for other opportunities, many of those employers will ask whether you landed an offer for full-time employment out of my summer internship. You want to be able to answer "yes" to this question, even if you don't want to return to your summer employer.

One way to de-risk trying to do 2 summer internships is to pick a 2nd internship that is naturally shorter. Some of the consulting firms offer 6 week internships at the very beginning or end of the summer in international locations like Tokyo or Dubai. These opportunities are easier to obtain if you have language ability and the resultant offers are generally location-specific. Another way to have a 2nd internship that won't put to much pressure on the 1st internship is if it's with a non-profit or start-up that's so happy to have you that they will work around your employment timeline. This could be a great way to dip your toe into something entrepreneurial or add some civic-mindedness to your resume.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Of course, it's possible to manage two internships during the summer. It all depends on you and how good you are at time management.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
If your time management skill is good, just try it.
GMAT Club Bot