It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 22:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Two internships in one summer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 98

Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.4
Two internships in one summer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2015, 08:49
Has anyone done this? The summers are so long that I was wondering if it was possible to fit in 2 internships?

Obviously I know you couldn't squeeze two consulting internships or to BM internships... but say consulting and something in entertainment? I'm not sure which path i want to take - so hoping to hear someone has made this happen

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 98

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Two internships in one summer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2015, 06:59
Technically you could because you have 3.5 months off school. However, I wouldn't recommend it. A part from arriving burnt out to your Fall semester you may not be enough time at a single place to make a long lasting impression. Also, they will see that you are less interested in that company since you are pursuing a second internship. This does not reflect well on you and may decrease significantly your chances of getting an offer.

In conclusion: if the purpose of your internship is exploring different industries, do it. If you have any intention of receiving a job offer after your internship, don't.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2015, 07:13
you should also check out this blog post about 10 Things To Do The Summer Before Your MBA

http://bit.ly/1dHqvVw

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 11:51
I'll give you a slightly different perspective. One of my former clients did two internships actually and it worked out quite well (the client received offers from both companies). I agree, it is certainly challenging and means you probably won't have any time off during the summer. That said, if you are a top quality candidate, it is a good way to experience two different industries and decide which you like better. I say that you should be top quality because you will have less time to impress your boss at work.

By the way if you want to do this, I recommend recruiting for both and once you get the offers, start negotiating to shorten the internship.

Good luck! Are you starting school this year or still applying to schools?

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2015, 04:57
Some people will definitely try to squeeze two internships into one summer. Obviously it will help if you attend a school with a longer summer break. A school like University of Michigan Ross has a twelve week break. Allowing most students to do the standard eight week internship and then potentially add on another four week internship. Typically at a start up or non profit they are interested in. It's certainly not the normal route, but can probably be done if you are interested.

Mike
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2015, 00:11
I think it's okay if you are good at time management. You can learn more during the busy time.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2016, 19:47
This post received
KUDOS
Not sure if helpful, but I did this during one of my law school summer breaks. I think what I learned was generally applicable though. One was 8 weeks, the other 4. It was a pretty packed summer, but I made great contacts at both places and learned a lot about what I wanted and didn't want to do—plus it was just a quick/efficient way to get more experience on the resume.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Schools: Kellogg School of Management - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 14:17
I think doing 2 summer internships - if you have the time and bandwidth - is a good idea, as you are experimenting and it gives you more coverage for experimentation. I did know some people who squeezed in 2 summer internships; for example, one classmate back in Kellogg did internship 1 PE + internship 2 tech startup, another did internship 1 corporate + internship 2 nonprofit. Personally, I did one summer consulting internship and then did a 2 week project for a social enterprise in Guatemala (the 2 week project kind of served as a mini-second internship, as I had to lead KWEST trip in August and did not have time for a full second internship).

Check out my new e-book on maximizing the business school experience. On Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8BQTC0?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Two internships in one summer   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2016, 14:17

Two internships in one summer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap