Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [8]
Given Kudos: 453
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [2]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 366
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change from [#permalink]
debbiem wrote:
While the base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change from 2000 to 2003, changes were made in bonus compensation, as in payments for high customer satisfaction ratings and exceptional manager reviews.

A). changes were made in bonus compensation, as in
B). changes were made in such bonus compensation as
C). changes were made in such bonus compensation as those in
D). changes in bonus compensation were made in areas like
E). there were changes made in bonus compensation, in areas like

I am confused with C, please help me understanding the same.
I get to different meaning
While base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change, changes were made in compensation , as changes in payments
OR
had it been
While base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change, changes were made compensation , as changes were in payments,

I would have been correct.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change from [#permalink]
Kudos
sudhirmadaan wrote:
debbiem wrote:
While the base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change from 2000 to 2003, changes were made in bonus compensation, as in payments for high customer satisfaction ratings and exceptional manager reviews.

While base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change, changes were made in compensation , as changes in payments
OR
had it been
While base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change, changes were made compensation , as changes were in payments,

Changes were made in bonus compensation - But what were the changes? One example of the changes made is payments for high customer satisfaction ratings and exceptional manager reviews.

Option C: changes were made in bonus compensation such as changes in payments............ - This is not correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [1]
Given Kudos: 453
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
While the base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change from [#permalink]
Kudos
sudhirmadaan wrote:
debbiem wrote:

OR
had it been

Well..see the basic rule of comparison is to first identify Comparison markers..When u see words like 'as', 'such as', 'as xyz as'...you should recognize the presence of comparison.
Now. When u see the choice C.. u can see the word 'as' between changes in comparison and changes in payments is trying to compare the two.
Smell the presence of comparison... and once u realize the presence of comparison u see that the choice C means:
o

changes made in compensation=changes in payments...don't you think meaning is changed altogether...?

Original choice if we see goes like:

Now, in original choice the author is trying to place the customer satisfaction ranking and exceptional reviews as examples of changes made and is not trying to compare the two changes..

Idk if you got exactly what i'm trying to convey. But still hope that it helps.. Pardon my poor explanation skills :oops:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
Anything with "in" should be eliminated. This leaves only answer choice B.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:

Sorry , didn't get you ...

Please elucidate , your choice of elimination of the options....

Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Abhishek009 wrote:
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:

Sorry , didn't get you ...

Please elucidate , your choice of elimination of the options....

Regards

The use of "in" in drawing examples is not idiomatic. For example, you can't say: Vehicles as in bikes. You'd say: vehicles such as bikes, or such vehicles as bikes.

You also cannot say: vehicles in areas like bikes. Payments for blah is an example of a bonus compensation, just like bikes are an example of vehicles.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
A is incorrect. ‘Such as’ has to be used in this sentence, not ‘as’. C is incorrect. ‘those’ refers to ‘changes’, so we need to provide examples for changes in bonus compensation. This is comparing changes in bonus compensation to changes in ‘payments for high customer satisfaction ratings and exceptional manager reviews’, when those payments and reviews are supposed to be examples of those changes. D and E are wrong because they use ‘like’ to compare non-nouns.

So B is the right answer.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts