GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Mar 2019, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

While the base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change from

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge
While the base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Jun 2016, 22:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:24) correct 48% (01:23) wrong based on 98 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

While the base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change from 2000 to 2003, changes were made in bonus compensation, as in payments for high customer satisfaction ratings and exceptional manager reviews.

A). changes were made in bonus compensation, as in
B). changes were made in such bonus compensation as
C). changes were made in such bonus compensation as those in
D). changes in bonus compensation were made in areas like
E). there were changes made in bonus compensation, in areas like

Originally posted by Youraisemeup on 24 Jun 2016, 21:47.
Last edited by Vyshak on 24 Jun 2016, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
Underlined
SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: While the base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 22:31
'Like' is not the right usage - Eliminate D and E

A). changes were made in bonus compensation, as in - Incorrect - 'Such as' is required. Usage of 'as' makes the statement illogical.
B). changes were made in such bonus compensation as - Correct
C). changes were made in such bonus compensation as those in - Incorrect - Comparison error. 'those' refers to 'changes'. Rather, we have to provide examples of changes in bonus compensation.

Answer: B
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: While the base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 23:03
debbiem wrote:
While the base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change from 2000 to 2003, changes were made in bonus compensation, as in payments for high customer satisfaction ratings and exceptional manager reviews.

Such as shows examples , hence Options (A) , (D) and (E) out.

As pointed out by Vyshak those ( being a plural pronoun) refers to the plural antecedent " Changes " which distorts the meaning of the sentence.

Hence correct answer will be (B)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 00:15
debbiem wrote:

I am confused with C, please help me understanding the same.
I get to different meaning
While base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change, changes were made in compensation , as changes in payments
OR
had it been
While base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change, changes were made compensation , as changes were in payments,

I would have been correct.
SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 00:28
sudhirmadaan wrote:
debbiem wrote:

While base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change, changes were made in compensation , as changes in payments
OR
had it been
While base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change, changes were made compensation , as changes were in payments,

Changes were made in bonus compensation - But what were the changes? One example of the changes made is payments for high customer satisfaction ratings and exceptional manager reviews.

Option C: changes were made in bonus compensation such as changes in payments............ - This is not correct
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge
While the base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 06:58
sudhirmadaan wrote:
debbiem wrote:

OR
had it been

Well..see the basic rule of comparison is to first identify Comparison markers..When u see words like 'as', 'such as', 'as xyz as'...you should recognize the presence of comparison.
Now. When u see the choice C.. u can see the word 'as' between changes in comparison and changes in payments is trying to compare the two.
Smell the presence of comparison... and once u realize the presence of comparison u see that the choice C means:
o

changes made in compensation=changes in payments...don't you think meaning is changed altogether...?

Original choice if we see goes like:

Now, in original choice the author is trying to place the customer satisfaction ranking and exceptional reviews as examples of changes made and is not trying to compare the two changes..

Idk if you got exactly what i'm trying to convey. But still hope that it helps.. Pardon my poor explanation skills :oops:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 08:58
Anything with "in" should be eliminated. This leaves only answer choice B.

Are you aiming for a 700+ GMAT score and a top 10 MBA?
If you are, we should talk. I specialize in ambitious students.

$80/hour as of May 2018.

http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 09:11
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:

Sorry , didn't get you ...

Please elucidate , your choice of elimination of the options....

Regards

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 10:15
Abhishek009 wrote:
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:

Sorry , didn't get you ...

Please elucidate , your choice of elimination of the options....

Regards

The use of "in" in drawing examples is not idiomatic. For example, you can't say: Vehicles as in bikes. You'd say: vehicles such as bikes, or such vehicles as bikes.

You also cannot say: vehicles in areas like bikes. Payments for blah is an example of a bonus compensation, just like bikes are an example of vehicles.

Are you aiming for a 700+ GMAT score and a top 10 MBA?
If you are, we should talk. I specialize in ambitious students.

$80/hour as of May 2018.

http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 06:54
A is incorrect. ‘Such as’ has to be used in this sentence, not ‘as’. C is incorrect. ‘those’ refers to ‘changes’, so we need to provide examples for changes in bonus compensation. This is comparing changes in bonus compensation to changes in ‘payments for high customer satisfaction ratings and exceptional manager reviews’, when those payments and reviews are supposed to be examples of those changes. D and E are wrong because they use ‘like’ to compare non-nouns.

So B is the right answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: While the base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change from   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2019, 06:54

While the base salary for new analysts at the firm did not change from

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap