Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [27]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [9]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [4]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Conclusions from GMAT algorithm study based on ESR analyses [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
HiLine wrote:

There is no evidence that the first 10 questions are more heavily weighted than the rest of the section. In fact, I think we have nearly sufficient evidence to conclude the opposite: that the first 10 questions are not more heavily weighted.

I have a few reports where the test taker gets several questions wrong in the first quarter but destroys the rest of the section and ends up at the same place as another test taker who scores perfectly in the first quarter but gets more questions wrong later on. It is rare for someone to not do so hot in the first part of the section but then improve significantly in the remainder of the section when the questions tend to get progressively harder if he is doing well. However, it is very common for the opposite scenario to occur. Quite understandably, the more questions you answer correctly, the more difficult the questions tend to get and thus the easier it is to answer subsequent questions incorrectly.

But the bottom line is, don't try too hard in the first quarter at the expense of the rest of the section.

To clarify: the opposite of "more heavily weighted" is "less heavily weighted." I do not believe that's what you mean, lest someone reading this interpret it as such. Either way, I must disagree: the "myth" of the first 9-10 questions persists because it's not a myth at all. Despite what the GMAC and others want you to think, both the ESRs and my own anecdotal experience tutoring GMAT students for 15 years have supported the idea that the first 9-10 questions have a larger impact on your score than do any other group of 9-10 questions.

I'm not sure whether we should draw too many firm algorithm-related conclusions from the ESRs, given that for some reason the difficulty level of the questions (Correct / Incorrect / All) is indicated as only 4 average data points, and because of the small sample size / inherently complicated nature of judging the impact of early questions vs. the impact of how many questions the student got wrong in a row (information unavailable), combined with the vague nature of splitting the test into quarters and averaging it all out, rather than providing a question-by-question breakdown. It is likely that question #10 is more impactful than is question #18, but they are in the same quarter of questions, and thus we have no way to differentiate them. Also, every GMAT is different, and we have learned from my study of the IR section that GMAT "raw to scaled" score conversions are not necessarily consistent from test to test.

That being said, I will concede that the ESRs have given us some good insight here, and it's clear that a solid performance across the test can sometimes be as effective as an "excel early in the test" strategy (more on this in a second). Although the GMAT Prep tests use a different algorithm, the results I've seen from real GMATs definitely reinforce the importance of the first 9-12 questions. And in my opinion, so do the limited number ESRs that have been shared on GMAT Club thus far.

Let's use the Quant ESRs as an example. There are 28 Quant questions that count, which means that each quarter of the test consists of 7 real questions and 2 experimental ones (3 in the last quarter).

Here is a screenshot of a student getting off to a great start (100% correct on the first half = 14 out of 14!) and scoring a solid 47 on Quant despite basically falling apart at the end and running out of time (approximately 71% of questions correct overall):

To be more explicit, this person answered 14 of the first 14 (counted) questions correctly, but only 6 of the last 14, and still scored Q47! This, to me, clearly supports the conventional wisdom that getting off to a good start on the the first 1/2 of each GMAT section is indeed the most important requirement for a solid score.

In contrast, here is an example of a student also getting about 71% correct (5 out of every 7), but struggling more at the beginning and thus receiving a lower score:

Here is a screenshot of a student achieving an Q47 score with a more consistent performance, despite a lower percent correct total and struggling in the less-important last quarter of questions (approximately 64% total correct), which shows that you don't have to ace the first 7 questions that count, but that getting at least 5 of them correct (5/7 = 71%) is very helpful. This person managed to leverage his/her relatively low percent correct into a solid score, because of the relatively high difficulty of the questions that he/she had earned in the beginning, and maintained throughout the test.

Here is a student scoring a relatively low Q42 (51%) despite getting approximately 68% of the questions correct and a putting in a generally consistent performance, with slightly more struggles in the important middle half of questions:

Here is another student, who also got about 68% of the questions correct, but who struggled at the beginning and was thus penalized mightily (Q35 = 33%):

You will notice that all of the students whose ESRs I have included here have answered somewhere between 64% and 71% of the total questions correctly, but their scores ranged from 35 to 47. The difference in most cases? Students' performance on the first quarter, and to a lesser degree, their performance on the middle half of the section.

The ESRs do suggest, at the very least, that although earlier questions do still matter more than later ones, the GMAT algorithm might not be quite as "front-loaded" as it used to be. The 2nd and 3rd quarters of questions are also very important, but the 4th quarter, not so much (other than making sure that you take the time to answer all the questions before time runs out, thus avoiding the score penalty).

One of my main concerns with trying to interpret this data is that the "average difficulty" chart is very deceptive, and not nearly as descriptive as it first appears. It appears to chart your entire GMAT journey, but it's really just 4 average data points tied together by straight lines. One aspect of the chart that does stand out, however, is that there is a significant jump in difficulty from the first question (medium difficulty) to the 9th or 10th question, when the student either performs well (earning harder questions) or poorly ("earning" easier questions). The jumps in difficulty at the start of the 3rd and 4th quarters of the test are generally less severe than are the jumps in the first half of the test.

We also see odd features in there, such as the difficulty of incorrectly answered questions being indicated as medium, when the student in fact answered 100% of the questions in that quarter correctly.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 03 Aug 2016, 00:10.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 14 Jan 2018, 11:54, edited 55 times in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Senthil7 wrote:
HiLine how did you conclude that the exam contains experimental questions of 11 or 9 within verbal and quant? Unable to understand that.

He's correct on that, as dabral has already noted. It has to do with using the "percentile correct" number from the ESRs to determine the correct denominator (total number of non-experimental questions) for each quarter of the test. We know this because the GMAC does not provide correct/incorrect information for the experimental questions.

IR has 9 questions that count, and 3 experimental. We can tell that the IR section has exactly 9 non-experimental questions because the "percent correct" always aligns with a denominator of 9.
Quant has 28 questions that count, and 9 experimental. We can tell that the Quant quarters are split into 7 non-experimental questions each because the "percent correct" always aligns with a denominator of 7.
Verbal has 30 questions that count, and 11 experimental. We can tell that the Verbal quarters are split into 7 non-experimental questions (middle two sections) or 8 non-experimental questions (first and last sections) each because the "percent correct" always aligns with a denominator of 7 (2nd and 3rd quarters) or 8 (1st and 4th quarters).

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 03 Aug 2016, 00:16.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 14 Jan 2018, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [2]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
Re: Conclusions from GMAT algorithm study based on ESR analyses [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Great stuff, HiLine!! You have zeroed in on at least a couple of important truths about the test.

Even though some people are convinced that GMAC isn't speaking the truth about the importance of the first few questions on a GMAT section, here are some interviews that we conducted with Larry Rudner, former Chief Psychometrician at GMAC:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/talking ... testmaker/

The first video is aptly titled "The Myth of the First 10 Questions." This myth will always persist, I bet, but Dr. Rudner does his best here to put it to rest.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:

You will notice that all of the students whose ESRs I have included here have answered somewhere between 64% and 71% of the total questions correctly, but their scores ranged from 35 to 47. The difference in most cases? Students' performance on the first quarter, and to a lesser degree, their performance on the middle half of the section.

There is one more difference, a big one, which you did not notice.

The difficulty of questions.

A student who answered 10 easy questions incorrectly did not perform as well as a student who answered 10 difficult questions incorrectly. (This is obviously a hypothetical situation and in no way refers to any of the ESR's you posted.)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
HiLine wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:

There is one more difference, a big one, which you did not notice.

The difficulty of questions.

A student who answered 10 easy questions incorrectly did not perform as well as a student who answered 10 difficult questions incorrectly. (This is obviously a hypothetical situation and in no way refers to any of the ESR's you posted.)

I did notice it (the change in difficulty level of the questions), but I didn't mention it because there's no way to precisely quantify its effect. But the difficulty of questions is directly tied to one's performance in the first 9-12 questions, which in my opinion the data supports as crucial (see various examples above), so in many ways they are the same issue.

If you don't do well up-front, then you will get easier questions. Doing well on easier questions does not raise your score nearly as much as doing well on medium/hard questions. Thus, the first 1/2 of questions is the most important, because that is where you "earn" the harder questions to follow.

You will notice in the last example that I provided that the student got 43% correct in the first quarter of questions (3 out of 7). He/she then went on to get 6 of the next 7 questions right (86%), but by then it was too late...the difficulty level had dropped too low and the student's score could not fully recover, despite a solid performance on the final 3/4 of the section.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 04 Aug 2016, 10:20.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 04 Aug 2016, 12:21, edited 4 times in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
quixx23 wrote:
Even though some people are convinced that GMAC isn't speaking the truth about the importance of the first few questions on a GMAT section, here are some interviews that we conducted with Larry Rudner, former Chief Psychometrician at GMAC:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/talking ... testmaker/

The first video is aptly titled "The Myth of the First 10 Questions." This myth will always persist, I bet, but Dr. Rudner does his best here to put it to rest.

GMAC does not always tell the truth about the test. For years, we were told that experimental ("pretest") questions made up 10-25% of the test. Turns out, they make up 25.6% of the GMAT. It was a white lie, yes, but a lie nonetheless. GMAC also continues to indicate on its website that Verbal and Quant scores range from 0 to 60, when in fact the highest score on either section is a 51.

Seeing that representatives from GMAC have provided incorrect and misleading information about the GMAT in the past, I'm not sure that it's wise to take them at their word when it comes to the scoring algorithm. Instead, I would trust the data first.

Along those lines, it would be more helpful to see actual ESRs that support this contention, rather than vague promises from GMAC.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 04 Aug 2016, 12:08.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 08 May 2017, 08:32, edited 6 times in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mcelroytutoring wrote:
quixx23 wrote:

The GMAC also claims that Verbal and Math scores range from 0 to 60, when in fact the highest score on either section is a 51. Seeing that representatives from GMAC have provided incorrect and misleading information about the GMAT in the past, I'm not sure that it's wise to take them at their word when it comes to the scoring algorithm. Instead, I would trust the data first.

Along those lines, it would be more helpful to see actual ESR's that support this contention, rather than vague promises from GMAC.

I have attended many GMAC-led GMAT Test Prep Summits over the years, and every time they give the same answer: The scoring range has always officially been 0-60, but the range that they actually use tops out at 51. It's an artifact of how they originally set the scoring scale vs. what they actually ended up needing to use. No one from GMAC has ever dangled the false hope for test takers that they might somehow attain something higher than a 51.

Tell you what: You trust your data and keep combing through ESRs. We'll keep training students in the higher-order thinking skills needed to actually earn higher scores!
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
quixx23 wrote:

Tell you what: You trust your data and keep combing through ESRs. We'll keep training students in the higher-order thinking skills needed to actually earn higher scores!

I do all of those things. Call me a multitasker, I guess. ; ) In the meantime, maybe your company can work on paying its GMAT instructors and tutors fairly, and maybe your teachers and tutors can work on actually verifying their GMAT scores.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 04 Aug 2016, 12:49.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 14 Jan 2018, 18:25, edited 7 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
HiLine wrote:
There is no evidence that the first 10 questions are more heavily weighted than the rest of the section. In fact, I think we have nearly sufficient evidence to conclude the opposite: that the first 10 questions are not more heavily weighted.
That's good to know, because the test would be unfair if this weren't the case. Here are a few points others going through this thread could consider:

1. I don't think the questions are "weighted" in "sets" such as the first 10. It's more that the confidence level of the ability estimate changes over the course of the test. Think of it as all the information coming from all the questions (till that point) put together. At the end of the test, the score that a test taker receives is the one with the highest probability out of a range of possible scores.

2. Performance does not depend solely on the difficulty level of a question. There are certain questions that are better able to differentiate between different ability levels, and the information that such questions provide is inherently more valuable than the information provided by questions of the same difficulty level which are not able to differentiate as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:

I did notice it (the change in difficulty level of the questions), but I didn't mention it because there's no way to precisely quantify its effect.

That something cannot be precisely quantified does not justify the complete omission of it. I'm glad you have incorporated difficulty in the subsequent discussion. :wink:

mcelroytutoring wrote:

But the difficulty of questions is directly tied to one's performance in the first 9-12 questions,

As it is to that in all other questions.

mcelroytutoring wrote:
If you don't do well up-front, then you will get easier questions. Doing well on easier questions does not raise your score nearly as much as doing well on medium/hard questions.

Easier questions are easier to answer by definition. If someone does well on easier questions and not so well on more difficult questions, the algorithm is working well.

mcelroytutoring wrote:
Thus, the first 1/2 of questions is the most important, because that is where you "earn" the harder questions to follow.

Earning harder questions means nothing if you cannot answer these questions correctly. Focusing on the first half of the section at the expense of the second half is only going to result in poor performance and reversion of difficulty level in the second half. The first half of the questions make up half of the battle. The second half is still ahead. And if you're a good student, the second half of the battle is even more fierce than the first.

mcelroytutoring wrote:
You will notice in the last example that I provided that the student got 43% correct in the first quarter of questions (3 out of 7). He/she then went on to get 6 of the next 7 questions right (86%), but by then it was too late...the difficulty level had dropped too low and the student's score could not fully recover, despite a solid performance on the final 3/4 of the section.

No it was not too late; rather, the test taker did not perform well enough on easy questions to be challenged with difficult questions. In fact, that the test taker answered only about half of the questions correctly in the first 7 counted questions suggests that he was unlikely to be able to answer many challenging questions anyway.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
So now we are being driven to conclude that no part of the exam must be given undue importance or be neglected, rather focus on every question! This is contrary to what I have read on top prep companies websites and many topics in here. So skipping questions (as promoted by certain prep companies and many individuals) is just a sign of moving over inability and nothing tactical as no one knows which questions is experimental.
In such a case, would a sound advise be to work on every question and not simply guess and move on?

Originally posted by Senthil7 on 06 Aug 2016, 10:05.
Last edited by Senthil7 on 06 Aug 2016, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
HiLine wrote:
No it was not too late; rather, the test taker did not perform well enough on easy questions to be challenged with difficult questions. In fact, that the test taker answered only about half of the questions correctly in the first 7 counted questions suggests that he was unlikely to be able to answer many challenging questions anyway.

So in other words, performing well on the first 7 counted questions is extra important, which is what I've been trying to argue all along. That's a very small sample size, and it helps explain why the first part of each section is crucial to achieving a solid GMAT score. Make a few mistakes up-front due to nervousness, carelessness, bad luck, or some other reason, and there is almost no way for your score to recover significantly, no matter how well you perform on the remainder of the section.

Why am I the only person who is including any actual data in my arguments? I would love to see some actual ESRs (with screenshots, please) that support your contentions. We are operating somewhat in the dark here due to the vague nature of the statistics on the ESRs, so I will concede that this issue is far from settled.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 06 Aug 2016, 10:11.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 14 Jan 2018, 11:56, edited 3 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
HiLine wrote:

So in other words, the first 7 counted questions are really important, which is what I've been trying to argue all along.

You're arguing with a straw man then. No one is saying the first 7 counted questions are not really important. All counted questions are really important.

mcelroytutoring wrote:
That's a very small sample size, and it helps explain why the first part of the GMAT is crucial to achieving a solid score. Make a couple of careless mistakes due to nervousness, and there is almost no way for your score to recover.

Doesn't matter where you make careless mistakes. Answering easy questions wrong is going to do a lot of damage.

mcelroytutoring wrote:
Why am I the only person who is including any actual data in my arguments?

Your samples are pretty good for the purpose of the discussion. Feel free to bring more to the table if you so wish. :wink:
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Allow me to clarify, then: getting questions wrong at the beginning hurts your score more than does getting questions wrong at the end. The data from the ESRs supports that conclusion, until I am shown otherwise with actual evidence.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 06 Aug 2016, 10:24.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 05 Jun 2017, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Allow me to clarify, then: getting questions wrong at the beginning hurts your score more than does getting questions wrong at the end. The data from the ESRs supports that conclusion, until I am shown otherwise...you know, with actual evidence.

The ESR's that you have posted do not support that conclusion.

What you are doing is comparing two scenarios that are not equivalent.

A candidate that answers 3 questions wrong at the beginning and answers the rest of the questions correctly is going to score less than one that answers 3 questions wrong at the end and answers the rest of the questions correctly, because the latter tackles more challenging questions at the same level of accuracy and thus should be deemed a more competent candidate.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [3]

Send PM