Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [12]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3462 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Re: Financial success does not guarantee happiness. This claim is not mere [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Financial success does not guarantee happiness. This claim is not mere proverbial wisdom but a fact verified by statistics. In a recently concluded survey, only one-third of the respondents who claimed to have achieved financial success reported that they were happy.

Which one of the following, if true, most strongly supports the conclusion drawn from the survey results?

Background:- The old age proverb is you can't buy happiness. Meaning Money cannot buy happiness

Premise 1) Financial Success does not guarantee happiness
Premise 2) This is proved by statistical studies
Conclusion) In a survey only one-third (33%) of the respondent who CLAIMED to have achieved financial success said they were happy.

The conclusion is a very tricky one because it makes some test taker to think about the remaining two third 66% of people and this will make them to infer and assume things that are not explicitly mentioned in the argument. DON'T DO THAT. Remember we don't have to include them in our thought process. Since the argument draws conclusion about 33% of people so this is the subset that we will use to strengthen out conclusion.

Now what if these 33% happy people were actually utter failures in their life or only moderately successful but due to some misguided sense of prosperity/richness they thought they were financially successful. --> Then it would mean that they were happy but not really financially successful. Then the argument will fall apart. We have remove any doubt about their financial success and by doing so we will show that they were indeed successful and indeed happy.

What option does the trick
OPTION A
(A) The respondents who reported financial success were, for the most part, financially successful.
Meaning they were really successful and also happy.

(A) The respondents who reported financial success were, for the most part, financially successful.
CORRECT

(B) Financial success was once thought to be necessary for happiness but is no longer considered a prerequisite for happiness.
WRONG :-DEEP PHILOSOPHICAL INCORRECT ANSWER :) IRRELEVANT

(C) Many of the respondents who claimed not to have achieved financial success reported that they were happy five years ago.
WRONG:- Not successfull right now ---> happy five years ago--> currently happy or unhappy ???
The option prompts that they are unhappy .
argument is successfull ---> happy
Option is Not successfull---> not happy
Mistaken reversal.

(D) Many of the respondents who failed to report financial success were in fact financially successful.
WRONG:-Does not give us any idea about the sate of happiness of such participant and thus cannot be use to strengthen the conclusion.

(E) Most of the respondents who reported they were unhappy were in fact happy.
Wrong:- Does not give us the link between financial success and state of happiness/unhappiness of such participants. Cannot be used to strengthen the argument.

Antmavel wrote:
Financial success does not guarantee happiness. This claim is not mere proverbial wisdom but a fact verified by statistics. In a recently concluded survey, only one-third of the respondents who claimed to have achieved financial success reported that they were happy.

Which one of the following, if true, most strongly supports the conclusion drawn from the survey results?

(B) Financial success was once thought to be necessary for happiness but is no longer considered a prerequisite for happiness.
(C) Many of the respondents who claimed not to have achieved financial success reported that they were happy five years ago.
(D) Many of the respondents who failed to report financial success were in fact financially successful.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: Financial success does not guarantee happiness. This claim is not mere [#permalink]
Expert Reply
LogicGuru1 wrote:

Background:- The old age proverb is you can't buy happiness. Meaning Money cannot buy happiness

Premise 1) Financial Success does not guarantee happiness
Premise 2) This is proved by statistical studies
Conclusion) In a survey only one-third (33%) of the respondent who CLAIMED to have achieved financial success said they were happy.

The conclusion is a very tricky one because it makes some test taker to think about the remaining two third 66% of people and this will make them to infer and assume things that are not explicitly mentioned in the argument. DON'T DO THAT. Remember we don't have to include them in our thought process. Since the argument draws conclusion about 33% of people so this is the subset that we will use to strengthen out conclusion.

Now what if these 33% happy people were actually utter failures in their life or only moderately successful but due to some misguided sense of prosperity/richness they thought they were financially successful. --> Then it would mean that they were happy but not really financially successful. Then the argument will fall apart. We have remove any doubt about their financial success and by doing so we will show that they were indeed successful and indeed happy.

What option does the trick
OPTION A
Meaning they were really successful and also happy.

CORRECT

WRONG :-DEEP PHILOSOPHICAL INCORRECT ANSWER :) IRRELEVANT

WRONG:- Not successfull right now ---> happy five years ago--> currently happy or unhappy ???
The option prompts that they are unhappy .
argument is successfull ---> happy
Option is Not successfull---> not happy
Mistaken reversal.

WRONG:-Does not give us any idea about the sate of happiness of such participant and thus cannot be use to strengthen the conclusion.

Wrong:- Does not give us the link between financial success and state of happiness/unhappiness of such participants. Cannot be used to strengthen the argument.

Antmavel wrote:

Although I have marked the answer as A and I completely agree that it validates the accuracy of the survey and hence strengthens the conclusion, I have a concern with your explanation here.

You said the conclusion is "In a survey only one-third (33%) of the respondent who CLAIMED to have achieved financial success said they were happy."

but don't you think the conclusion of the argument is "Financial success does not guarantee happiness.".

Survey given is only strengthening the conclusion. I understand that we have claimed and concluded words in the last line, but if we look from an overall argument perspective, the conclusion would be what I said above.

Please provide your thoughts here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM