Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Confused about the approach for my GMAT retake!! Guidance required!! [#permalink]
Kudos
cmanjunath316 wrote:
Purvil311 wrote:
Looks like your main problem area is verbal, which is understandable since you are a non-native speaker. I have seen a lot of non-natives suggest e-GMAT's online courses. I have not used them personally but I did like the few free webinars they did on sentence correction and critical reasoning. Sign up for their email alerts and try to watch one of their recordings of their free webinars on verbal if you are unable to attend live. Their method of using meaning-based approach for sentence correction and pre-thinking for critical reasoning actually work pretty well. As for reading comprehension, I don't think I found any special method for these questions apart from just practicing. You mentioned Manhattan, so I assume you already have their guides for the verbal section. If not, I recommended purchasing those because I found the sentence correction book particularly helpful.

Hi Purvil311,
Thanks a lot for taking out time to help me out. Yes I have the Manhattan verbal guides. I do get questions right when I take short quiz in isolation/ or under a certain section as I already know what I'm supposed to look for. On tests, I feel like I'm rushed and sometimes select choices that look appealing even without reading the other choices. Do you think egmat is doable within a month, with 2hrs on weekdays and 6+ hours on weekends? I am facing a crunch when it comes to time :(

Thanks and Best Regards,
Manj

No problem at all. This forum has helped me a lot, so glad to give back! Like I said, I didn't personally take e-GMAT's courses, but they are active on this forum: e-gmat-180/

I suggest reaching out to them directly to determine what their courses are like and how it would work with your time limits. Also, since you feel rushed on the practice tests, you might need to work on your pacing through practice. On verbal, I think it is a good practice to read all the answer choices even if you are sure about one, just to make sure. To do this, you will need to manage your time properly.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Confused about the approach for my GMAT retake!! Guidance required!! [#permalink]
No problem at all. This forum has helped me a lot, so glad to give back! Like I said, I didn't personally take e-GMAT's courses, but they are active on this forum:

I suggest reaching out to them directly to determine what their courses are like and how it would work with your time limits. Also, since you feel rushed on the practice tests, you might need to work on your pacing through practice. On verbal, I think it is a good practice to read all the answer choices even if you are sure about one, just to make sure. To do this, you will need to manage your time properly.[/quote]

Thanks again. Means a lot! I'm planning to go for egmat, hope that works for me!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi cmanjunath316,

Each CAT that you take is a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses. However, the accuracy of a CAT score depends heavily on how YOU choose to take the CAT. For example, if you skip sections, then you end up taking a shorter Exam that requires less work from you - and often the score results in these situations are 'inflated' and unrealistic. In that same way, if you retake a CAT that you've already taken, and see questions that you've already answered, then you'll be facing an easier Exam resulting in an 'inflated' score. This is meant to say that the 680 and 690 that you reported are likely NOT realistic. Furthermore, your more recent CAT scores show your skills are essentially the same as they were from earlier and your current ability level is right around 600.

To raise your score to a 700+, you'll likely need another 2 months of consistent, guided study and you'll need to learn/practice some new Tactics. You could conceivably pick up all of those missing points in the Verbal section, but you would likely find it easier to pick up a mix of points in Quant and Verbal. From what you've described, you would likely benefit from investing in an Guided Self Study GMAT Course.

1) Considering all of the traveling you'll have to do, how many hours do you think you can commit to your studies each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi cmanjunath316,

Each CAT that you take is a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses. However, the accuracy of a CAT score depends heavily on how YOU choose to take the CAT. For example, if you skip sections, then you end up taking a shorter Exam that requires less work from you - and often the score results in these situations are 'inflated' and unrealistic. In that same way, if you retake a CAT that you've already taken, and see questions that you've already answered, then you'll be facing an easier Exam resulting in an 'inflated' score. This is meant to say that the 680 and 690 that you reported are likely NOT realistic. Furthermore, your more recent CAT scores show your skills are essentially the same as they were from earlier and your current ability level is right around 600.

To raise your score to a 700+, you'll likely need another 2 months of consistent, guided study and you'll need to learn/practice some new Tactics. You could conceivably pick up all of those missing points in the Verbal section, but you would likely find it easier to pick up a mix of points in Quant and Verbal. From what you've described, you would likely benefit from investing in an Guided Self Study GMAT Course.

1) Considering all of the traveling you'll have to do, how many hours do you think you can commit to your studies each week?

Rich

Hi Rich,
Thanks. I agree with your observations. I can aim to spare 3 hours on a weekday and 6+ hours on a weekend. With discipline, I should be able to clock 100-120 hours in a month, focusing more on building verbal strength while keeping touch and brushing up on DS in Quant. Any suggestions??

Thanks and Best Regards,
Manj
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi cmanjunath316,

Based on everything that you’ve described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in under 2 months, so the time commitment wouldn't be that bad. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot