Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [29]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619183 [20]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64934 [8]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Management, Strategy & Finance
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Re: Greg, Marcia, Peter, Jan, Bobby and Cindy go to a movie and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
total ways of arranging 6 ppl = 6! = 6*5*4*3*2 = 720

ways in which m&j sit together = 5!*2 = 240

ans = 720 - 240 = 480
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [5]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
480 as well

total number of arrangements 6*5*4*3*2*1 = 720

want to count criteria we dont want

If Marcia sits in first chair, and Jan sits in 2nd chair there are 4! = 24 arrangements for the other people

Jan could also sit in first chair and Marcia in 2nd, so there are also 24 different arrangments

24+24 = 48

so we can have 1st and 2nd, 2nd and 3rd, 3rd and 4th, 4th and 5th, or 5th and 6th

therefore there are 5 ways each have 48 combinations so 48*5=240

720-240 = 480
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Kudos
Variant-2.1 of this question -
7 people(A,B,C,D,E,F,H) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 7 adjacent seats in the front row of the theatre. A will not sit to the left of F and F will not sit to the left of E in how many different arrangements ?

Variant-3.1 of this question -

7 people(A,B,C,D,E,F,H) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 8 adjacent seats in the front row of the theatre. A will not sit to the left of F in how many different arrangements ?

Variant-4.1 of this question -

7 people(A,B,C,D,E,F,H) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 8 adjacent seats in the front row of the theatre. A will not sit to the left of F and F will not sit to the left of E in how many different arrangements ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64934 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Variant-1 of this question -
7 people(A,B,C,D,E,F.H) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 7 adjacent seats in the front row of the theatre. A and F will not sit next to each other in how many different arrangements ?

-->

7! - 2((7-2+1)!) = 7!-2(6!)=7(6!)-2(6!) = 5(6!) ways

Yes, that's fine. You make them sit together and subtract that out of 7!.

Variant-2 of this question -
7 people(A,B,C,D,E,F,H) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 7 adjacent seats in the front row of the theatre. A,F and E will not sit next to each other in how many different arrangements ?

7!-(3!)(7-3+1)! = 7!- 6(5!) ways

A little ambiguity here.
I would say - A, F and E will not all sit together in how many ways?
The solution is fine.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64934 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Variant-3 of this question -
7 people(A,B,C,D,E,F,H) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 8 adjacent seats in the front row of the theatre. A and F will not sit next to each other in how many different arrangements ?

-->

8P7-2[(8-2+1)P(7-2+1)] = 8P7-2(7P6) ways = 8! - 2(7!) = 6(7!) ways

The answer is correct. An alternative approach could be this:

I will just think of the vacant seat as a person V.
So 8 people, 8 seats in 8! ways.
2 people should not be together so 8! - 2*7!

Another interesting variant could be this:
7 people(A,B,C,D,E,F,H) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 8 adjacent seats in the front row of the theatre. In how many different arrangements will there be at least one person between A and F?

Try it.

Variant-4 of this question -
7 people(A,B,C,D,E,F,H) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 8 adjacent seats in the front row of the theatre. A ,F and E will not sit next to each other in how many different arrangements ?

Correct solution. Alternative approach parallel to the one above:

The vacant spot is a person V.
Required arrangements: 8! - 3!*6!
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Variant-1.1 of this question -
7 people(A,B,C,D,E,F.H) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 7 adjacent seats in the front row of the theatre. A will not sit to the left of F in how many different arrangements ?

-->
7!/2 ways

Correct.

7 people(A,B,C,D,E,F,H) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 7 adjacent seats in the front row of the theatre. A will not sit to the left of F and F will not sit to the left of E in how many different arrangements ?

7 people(A,B,C,D,E,F,H) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 8 adjacent seats in the front row of the theatre. A will not sit to the left of F in how many different arrangements ?

7 people(A,B,C,D,E,F,H) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 8 adjacent seats in the front row of the theatre. A will not sit to the left of F and F will not sit to the left of E in how many different arrangements ?

You can apply symmetry in all these questions. Tell me how you will do it. I will confirm the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
7 people(A,B,C,D,E,F,H) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 8 adjacent seats in the front row of the theatre. A and F will not sit next to each other in how many different arrangements ?

-->

8P7-2[(8-2+1)P(7-2+1)] = 8P7-2(7P6) ways = 8! - 2(7!) = 6(7!) ways

The answer is correct. An alternative approach could be this:

WoW - Loved this Approach --> Kudos +1
7 people(A,B,C,D,E,F,H) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 8 adjacent seats in the front row of the theatre. In how many different arrangements will there be at least one person between A and F?

Try it.

This is equivalent to saying 8 people sit in 8 adjacent seats with an imaginary girl Ms. X with them :P
Subtract the number of arrangements when Ms. X sits between A and F
AXF
FXA
XAF
XFA
AFX
FAX
All the above are equivalent - No person sits between A and F
So answer will be
8!-(3!)(6!) ways

Now let me apply my traditional approach and confirm this -
8P7-(3!)((8-3+1)P(7-3+1)) = 8P7-(3!)(6P5) =
8!-(3!)(6!) ways
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
krishp84 wrote:
7 people(A,B,C,D,E,F,H) go to a movie and sit next to each other in 7 adjacent seats in the front row of the theater. A will not sit to the left of F and F will not sit to the left of E in how many different arrangements ?

Let me post my solution -
This will be equivalent as below -

A can come to left/right of F
F can come to left/right of E
(I diagrammed, but it is time-taking to create a picture and post here)

So number of different arrangements = (1/2)(7!/2) = 7!/4 ways
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
This will be 8!/2 ways
or
(8P7)/2 = 8!/2 ways
This will be (1/2)(8!/2) = 8!/4 ways
or
(1/2)(1/2)(8P7) = 8!/4 ways

Logic - combination of variant 2.1 and 3.1
You can apply symmetry in all these questions. Tell me how you will do it. I will confirm the answer.
I understand this is a HUGE post - But could not find another way to link all these related concepts.
Welcome to any new variant. I LOVE these puzzles.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64934 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

-->

krishp84 wrote:
This is equivalent to saying 8 people sit in 8 adjacent seats with an imaginary girl Ms. X with them :P
Subtract the number of arrangements when Ms. X sits between A and F
AXF
FXA
XAF
XFA
AFX
FAX
All the above are equivalent - No person sits between A and F
So answer will be 8!-(3!)(6!) ways

This variant wants you to put at least one person between A and F. This means that all those cases where A and F are together are not acceptable and also those cases where A and F have V (or your Ms. X!) between them are not acceptable.
Number of cases where A and F are together = 2*7!
Number of cases where A and F have V between them = 2*6!
[AVF and FVA]
These are the cases that are not acceptable.
Answer should be 8! - 2*7! - 2*6! = 8! - 16*6!

Think about it another way: Compare the two questions.
One where you don't want them to be together,
the other where you don't want them to be together and you don't want the vacant spot between them.
Obviously, in the second case, the number of cases you do not want are higher.
In the first question, you subtracted a total of 2*7! arrangements i.e. 14*6! arrangements.
In the second question, you need to subtract some more. You cannot subtract 3!*6! = 6*6! arrangements only.
Tutor
Send PM
Greg, Marcia, Peter, Jan, Bobby and Cindy go to a movie and [#permalink]
Expert Reply
krishp84 wrote:
I understand this is a HUGE post - But could not find another way to link all these related concepts.[/color]
Welcome to any new variant. I LOVE these puzzles.

Your solutions are correct.
If you want to try out further complications, try putting in 2 or 3 vacant spots. Now there will be 2-3 identical people named 'V' so adjustments will be needed.

Also check out these videos:
Video on Permutations: https://youtu.be/LFnLKx06EMU
Video on Combinations: https://youtu.be/tUPJhcUxllQ

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 18 Aug 2011, 22:47.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 23 Aug 2023, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
This variant wants you to put at least one person between A and F. This means that all those cases where A and F are together are not acceptable and also those cases where A and F have V (or your Ms. X!) between them are not acceptable.
Number of cases where A and F are together = 2*7!
Number of cases where A and F have V between them = 2*6!
[AVF and FVA]
These are the cases that are not acceptable.
Answer should be 8! - 2*7! - 2*6! = 8! - 16*6!

Think about it another way: Compare the two questions.
One where you don't want them to be together,
the other where you don't want them to be together and you don't want the vacant spot between them.
Obviously, in the second case, the number of cases you do not want are higher.
In the first question, you subtracted a total of 2*7! arrangements i.e. 14*6! arrangements.
In the second question, you need to subtract some more. You cannot subtract 3!*6! = 6*6! arrangements only.

Yes - I made that mistake of assuming X/V as a part of the group with A,F instead of thinking them separately. Stupid me !!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
If you want to try out further complications, try putting in 2 or 3 vacant spots. Now there will be 2-3 identical people named 'V' so adjustments will be needed.

Yes - I was thinking on these lines....I will post some variants on this once I am free.

Also thought of combining Probability with this because it is so related especially - the symmetry part.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
GMAT100 wrote:
Greg, Marcia, Peter, Jan, Bobby and Cindy go to a movie and sit next to each other in 6 adjacent seats in the front row of the theater. If Marcia and Jan will not sit next to each other, in how many different arrangements

The best way to deal with the questions like this is to find the total # of arrangements and then subtract # of arrangements for which opposite of restriction occur:

Total # of arrangements of 6 people (let's say A, B, C, D, E, F) is \(6!\).
# of arrangement for which 2 particular persons (let's say A and B) are adjacent can be calculated as follows: consider these two persons as one unit like {AB}. We would have total 5 units: {AB}{C}{D}{E}{F} - # of arrangement of them 5!, # of arrangements of A and B within their unit is 2!, hence total # of arrangement when A and B are adjacent is \(5!*2!\).

# of arrangement when A and B are not adjacent is \(6!-5!*2!=480\).

Hi , i want to refer to another question that you answered. it is on this link :
alicia-lives-in-a-town-whose-streets-are-on-a-grid-system-126920.html

my question is : on this question above. when you glued AB , the total units changed from 6 units to 5 units {AB}{C}{D}{E}{F}.

but on the other question , you glued the (SS) and the units changed from 6 units to 4 (SEEE).

this doesn't make sense to me. can you explain that please ….. thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619183 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
shagalo wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
GMAT100 wrote:
Greg, Marcia, Peter, Jan, Bobby and Cindy go to a movie and sit next to each other in 6 adjacent seats in the front row of the theater. If Marcia and Jan will not sit next to each other, in how many different arrangements

The best way to deal with the questions like this is to find the total # of arrangements and then subtract # of arrangements for which opposite of restriction occur:

Total # of arrangements of 6 people (let's say A, B, C, D, E, F) is \(6!\).
# of arrangement for which 2 particular persons (let's say A and B) are adjacent can be calculated as follows: consider these two persons as one unit like {AB}. We would have total 5 units: {AB}{C}{D}{E}{F} - # of arrangement of them 5!, # of arrangements of A and B within their unit is 2!, hence total # of arrangement when A and B are adjacent is \(5!*2!\).

# of arrangement when A and B are not adjacent is \(6!-5!*2!=480\).

Hi , i want to refer to another question that you answered. it is on this link :
alicia-lives-in-a-town-whose-streets-are-on-a-grid-system-126920.html

my question is : on this question above. when you glued AB , the total units changed from 6 units to 5 units {AB}{C}{D}{E}{F}.

but on the other question , you glued the (SS) and the units changed from 6 units to 4 (SEEE).

this doesn't make sense to me. can you explain that please ….. thanks

In other question we are interested in routs which start with {SS}. We are fixing {SS} and counting the number of permutations of the remaining letters SEEE.

Please re-read the solution.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Total number of arrangements =6!= 720

Total arrangements of J and M sitting together = 5!*2 = 240

Total arrangement of J and M not sitting together = 480

Answer = 480
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMAT100 wrote:

We can use the following formula:

Total number of ways to arrange the 6 people = (number of arrangements whenMarcia sits next to Jan) + (number of arrangements when Marica does not sit next to Jan)

Let’s determine the number of arrangements in which Marcia sits next to Jan.

We can denote Greg, Marcia, Peter, Jan, Bobby and Cindy as G,M, P, J, B, and C, respectively.

If Marcia and Jan must sit together, we can consider them as one person [MJ]. For example, one seating arrangement could be [MJ][G][P][B][C]. Thus, the number of ways to arrange five people in a row is 5! = 120.

However, we must also account for the ways we can arrange Marcia and Jan, that is, either [MJ] or [JM]. Thus, there are 2! = 2 ways to arrange Marcia and Jan.

Therefore, the total number of seating arrangements is 120 x 2 = 240 if Marcia and Jan DO sit next to each other.

Since there are 6 people being arranged, the total number of possible arrangements is 6! = 720.

Thus, the number of arrangements when Marcia does NOT sit next to Jan is 720 - 240 = 480.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92940 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts