Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [37]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618816 [26]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [5]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Re: Alicia lives in a town whose streets are on a grid system [#permalink]
Thanks Bunuel: the only part I was making mistake was (SS) to be considered 1 and then SEEE as 4. I was considering it as (SS) = 1 + SEEE (4) total 5. Thats why I was going wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Hello,

I have a question to Bunuel. the formula you are using is Combination's formula as it is 6!/(6-3)!*3!, and since Alice has to choose 3 Ss and 3Es, where order does not matter, it has to be Combination. but you are saying that "Total # of routs to the school is # of permutation of SSSEEE, which is 6!/(3!3!)=20 (# of permutations of 6 letters out of which 3 S's and 3 E's are identical)"[u][/u]. can you please explain whether it should be a combination or permutation formula?

I am having hard time understanding this problem. Manhattan guide explains it with anagram grid, but I am not grasping that model. I tried to solve it using Slot Method, but could not do it. I can't really get it with combination/permutation formulas either. can you please explain it in an easier way with more details?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
A slightly lengthier method would be:

Total number of ways to go home, considering that the order order matters =
Options: SSSEEE
Slots : ------
total permutations of 6 options in 6 slots: 6P6 = 6! = 6*5*4*3*2

Total ways to select "South" in the first 2 positions and anything else in the subsequent 4 positions =
Options: SS ????
Slots: -- ----

Permutations of 3 "S" in 2 slots AND Permutations of 4 Choices in 4 slots =
3P2 * 4P4 = 3! * 4! = 3*2*4*3*2

The probability is therefore:

3P2 * 4P4
--------------- =
6P6

3*2*4*3*2
-------------- = 1/5
6*5*4*3*2
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618816 [5]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sdas wrote:
Alicia lives in a town whose streets are on a grid system, with all streets running east-west or north-south without breaks. Her school, located on a corner, lies three blocks south and three blocks east of her home, also located on a corner. If Alicia s equally likely to choose any possible path from home to school, and if she only walks south or east, what is the probability she will walk south for the first two blocks?

Similar questions to practice:
pat-will-walk-from-intersection-x-to-intersection-y-along-a-104817.html
how-many-ways-are-there-for-3-males-and-3-females-to-sit-106485.html
josh-has-to-run-an-electrical-wire-from-point-a-to-point-b-99962.html
every-morning-casey-walks-from-her-house-to-the-bus-stop-104236.html
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Expert Reply
1. Alicia can choose only the following as the first two in the path: S1 S2, E1 E2, S1 E1 and E1 S1
2. The total number of paths starting with each of the above are 4,4,6 and 6 respectively
3. Therefore the probability that Alicia chooses two south as the first two is 4/20=1/5.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
if the order does not matter, the solution with combinatorics is correct. however, the question itself is open to argument. route has a totally different meaning - it is more identical to a decision tree rather than a problem where the 3 Ss and 3 Es are identical SSSEEE-. Therefore, Manhattan GMAT should reconsider this question before using it as an example.

nintso wrote:
Hello,

I have a question to Bunuel. the formula you are using is Combination's formula as it is 6!/(6-3)!*3!, and since Alice has to choose 3 Ss and 3Es, where order does not matter, it has to be Combination. but you are saying that "Total # of routs to the school is # of permutation of SSSEEE, which is 6!/(3!3!)=20 (# of permutations of 6 letters out of which 3 S's and 3 E's are identical)"[u][/u]. can you please explain whether it should be a combination or permutation formula?

I am having hard time understanding this problem. Manhattan guide explains it with anagram grid, but I am not grasping that model. I tried to solve it using Slot Method, but could not do it. I can't really get it with combination/permutation formulas either. can you please explain it in an easier way with more details?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Kudos
I'm rusty on combinatorics, so I solves this in a way I consider easier:
1st step: the girl is leaving her home. She can either walk south or east; 3/6 = 1/2 for both ways. Since she went south, now she has two more ways to go south, or three more ways to go east. But she still has to go south, so: (3/6) * (2/5) = 6/30 = 2/10 = 1/5.

Don't know if this methodology is right, or if I was lucky to get the correct answer even though going through a wrong method, but let me know.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [4]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos
Alicia's trip involves 3 movements south (SSS) and 3 movements east (EEE). We want to know the probability that her first 2 movements are SS. This question is no different from the following:

A bag contains three marbles labeled S and three marbles labeled E. If two marbles are randomly selected from the bag, what is the probability that both are labeled S?

P(SS) = 3/6 * 2/5 = 1/5.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Schools: WBS CEIBS
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V32
Send PM
Came here to recommend a method that Plalud has already covered. Don't get lost in permutations and combinations! It is a simple probability question. Adding a more detailed, simpler explanation below:

South = S1, S2, S3 = 3
East = E1, E2, E3 = 3

Probability of Alicia choosing south as her first path = S1 or S2 or S3/ all choices = 3/6 = 1/2 (lets say she chose S1 here)
Probability of Alicia choosing south as her second path = S2 or S3/ remaining choices = 2/5

Total probability = first case (AND) second case = 1/2*2/5 = 1/5
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT Focus 1:
705 Q84 V89 DI82
Send PM
Bunuel can you plz help me with the confusion. My doubt is because Alicia is standing at her home and she can only move east or south at a time the probability to move south first is 1/2, again at the second block the probability is 1/2 so why not the answer is 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4.
I am sure I am missing something conceptually but I am not able to figure it out.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts