Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [17]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [10]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q48  V39
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Project Management, Telecommunications
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Re: Venus' Geology [#permalink]
I tend to agree with the OA. siyer did a good job explaining. +1 kudos.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
A - whose is modifying 'orbit'. Hence incorrect.
C - Misplaced modifier. Its 'Venus' and not Venus's geology between earth and mars.Hence incorrect.
D - awkward and nonsensical. ambiguous antecedent for 'its'. Hence incorrect.
E - Misplaced modifier. Venus's geology - modifying shrouded by clouds instead of Venus. Hence incorrect.
B - Concise and correctly placed modifiers. Hence B is a correct answer choice.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE 1: Engineering
Send PM
amp0201 wrote:
C - Misplaced modifier. Its 'Venus' and not Venus's geology between earth and mars.Hence incorrect.

Actually, it's Venus's geology that is intermediate between Earth and Mars' geology !
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3225 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Shrouded by clouds, Venus has been mapped by radar from the earth and from spacecraft in orbit, and whose images suggest a geology intermediate between the Earth and Mars.

A. Shrouded by clouds, Venus has been mapped by radar from the earth and from spacecraft in orbit, and whose images suggest a geology intermediate between the Earth and Mars. - wrong comparsion. geology is compared with Earth and Mars.

B. Radar, sent from Earth and orbiting spacecraft, has mapped cloud shrouded Venus, and the images suggest a geology intermediate between that [geology] of Earth and that of Mars. - CORRECT

C. Intermediate between Earth and Mars, Venus' geology has been mapped through its clouds by radar images from Earth and by orbiting spacecraft.

D. From earth and spacecraft in orbit, radar has mapped cloud shrouded Venus, intermediate between earth and mars, and images suggest its geology. - awkward

E. Venus' geology, shrouded by clouds, is intermediate between Earth and Mars, which is suggested by maps that have been made by radar images from Earth and orbiting spacecraft.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: International Business
Send PM
Kudos
I am having difficulties understanding the following sentence. :?

seekmba wrote:
Radar, sent from Earth and orbiting spacecraft, has mapped cloud shrouded Venus.

Is "Radar" the name of a spacecraft? Shouldn't it be: "Radar, an orbiting spacecraft sent from Earth, has mapped cloud shrouded Venus." ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Shrouded by clouds, Venus has been mapped by radar from the [#permalink]
sachinrelan wrote:
Shrouded by clouds, Venus has been mapped by radar from the earth and from spacecraft in orbit, and whose images suggest a geology intermediate between the Earth and Mars.
A. Shrouded by clouds, Venus has been mapped by radar from the earth and from spacecraft in orbit, and whose images suggest a geology intermediate between the Earth and Mars.
B. Radar, sent from Earth and orbiting spacecraft, has mapped cloud shrouded Venus, and the images suggest a geology intermediate between that of Earth and that of Mars.
C. Intermediate between Earth and Mars, Venus' geology has been mapped through its clouds by radar images from Earth and by orbiting spacecraft.
D. From earth and spacecraft in orbit, radar has mapped cloud shrouded Venus, intermediate between earth and mars, and images suggest its geology.
E. Venus' geology, shrouded by clouds, is intermediate between Earth and Mars, which is suggested by maps that have been made by radar images from Earth and orbiting spacecraft.

Doubt:

In my opinion Answer should be C.

A. Rejected -> and whose images doesn't clearly define to which it is referring.
B. Could not understand the construction of this option as lot of commas were used, please help me understand this option.
C. I found this option to be gramatically correct.
D. Meaning distorted it gives the idea that Venus was mapped intermediate between earth and mars, while the meaning is Radar has mapped cloud shrouded venus and the images reflect its geology to be between earth and mars.
E. which is wrongly used.

Can someone give me a better explanation to all options. Also please help me understand the Option B as it has got lot of commas and i am not able to understand the link between the text in commas.

B is by far the best answer choice , though , I agree , not a perfect one.

Here is the reason why:
A. Shrouded by clouds, Venus has been mapped by radar from the earth and from spacecraft in orbit, and whose images suggest a geology intermediate between the Earth and Mars. >>> whose does not have a clear antecedent , ambiguous. Geaology should not be equated to earth and marsh.
B. Radar, sent from Earth and orbiting spacecraft, has mapped cloud shrouded Venus, and the images suggest a geology intermediate between that of Earth and that of Mars. >> No errors, though not the best sentence that one can come up with.
C. Intermediate between Earth and Mars, Venus' geology has been mapped through its clouds by radar images from Earth and by orbiting spacecraft. >>. Earth and marsh can not modify Venus's geology.
D. From earth and spacecraft in orbit, radar has mapped cloud shrouded Venus, intermediate between earth and mars, and images suggest its geology. >>> Meaning changes ; this sentence suggests that Venus is intermediate between earth and marsh.
E. Venus' geology, shrouded by clouds, is intermediate between Earth and Mars, which is suggested by maps that have been made by radar images from Earth and orbiting spacecraft. >>> there are 4 errors in this sentence, and this sentence is the easiest to eliminate.
1- Venus' geology, shrouded by clouds >>> Venus is shrouded in clouds not Venus' geology >>> Change in meaning.
2- intermediate between Earth and Mars >>> Improper modification as discussed in the previous errors.
3-radar images from Earth and orbiting spacecraft >>>> It suggests that the images are gathered by 2 parties , 1- Radar from earth and 2- Space craft as opposed to the original meaning that the radar from earth that is installed on board of the spacecraft is taking the pictures.

Overall an interesting question. I would definitely like to know what the source is.
Kudos if u liked my post.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Shrouded by clouds, Venus has been mapped by radar from the [#permalink]
Kudos