Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 07:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Problems in GMAT test center???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Problems in GMAT test center??? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 11:07
Anyone have any problems in the GMATTest center other than poweroutages or other extremes?

Example: problems with notepad + pen? Small cubicle

etc...

I don't wanna be caught off guard or nething.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Problems in GMAT test center??? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 12:14
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Anyone have any problems in the GMATTest center other than poweroutages or other extremes?

etc...

inattentive (is that a word?) proctors who gossip on the phone while you take the test, does that count? The cubicle WILL BE cramped and slightly dark. That's a guarantee.

I suggest you go in to the test with this mindset: Expect minor nuisances, and plow through the test. Expect something (hopefully something minor) to go wrong. If nothing big happens, then great! You've lucked out.

During my test, I wanted to quit and had thoughts about re-testing. Resist that temptation and give it your best shot.

If there's someone tapping his foot on the floor next to you, just block it out. It will only benefit you to do so.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 12:31
Quote:
inattentive (is that a word?) proctors who gossip on the phone while you take the test, does that count? The cubicle WILL BE cramped and slightly dark. That's a guarantee.

Wow, some posters here have definitely had some not-so-great experiences with testing sites! I have to say, my experience was actually somewhat pleasant (besides the actual test taking part, that is). The proctor was in a glass-walled room to the back of the testing room and was a very quiet older gentleman. The lighting was actually very nice - not too bright, not too dark, and kind of soft rather than harsh florescent lighting. Everyone I encountered was very nice and although there were about 4 other people taking tests in the room, there were no obnoxious coughers or anything.

Also, the building that it was in was kind of block O shaped and had a courtyard in the middle where one (meaning me) could go smoke during breaks. It had nice outdoor furniture and lots of plants and trees. Very calming. Inside, outside of the testing room, were some padded benches where you could sit or lie down if you wanted to leave the testing room during breaks.

All in all, it was a much nicer experience than I had expected!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 15:57
Well i had a little bit of bad experience. My test was at 13:15 and i made it to the test center at 12. One hour and fifteen minutes early. The people in the test center did not allow me to sit in the reception and instead asked me to come by 12:30. I had to spend half an hour in a shopping mall just beside the test center having a sip of coffee. This was a bit of letdown.

After this once i entered the test center everything was ok. Dont worry about the cubicles, they are quite ok . If you are one of those fat persons, then i think you can request them for a bigger cubicle. The proctors are nice and trained well. Ask for ear plugs if you are ok with them. And make sure you take your full time for AWA. I completed AWA in 20 minutes each and had to start my math section when other were still in AWA. THe keyboard typing sound was irritating me during my math. I tried earplugs but it dint work as i was not comfortablwe with them.

My take: Dont go to test center unnecessarily early. Practice with earplugs in your home during prep and ask for earplugs during the test. Rest dont worry ,everything will be fine. goodluck.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Problems in GMAT test center??? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 17:01
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

etc...

Do not worry about your hands, they will be BLUE! Otherwise nothing.

Have a great GMAT time. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 22:55
my test was at 8am. i got there at 7:15 and the guard in the building said that they open at 7:30am. at 7:30, there was a big crowd of people all waiting in the lobby to try to go up to the floor of pearson vue but the elevators weren't actually working to let anyone up to that floor (you push the button and it doesn't do anything).

at 7:45, the security guard used his key to just let everyone up in the elevator.

it took a little bit of time since they had to process like 40 people all there to take exams (about 1/2 were taking the gmat).

once i got in, the proctor asked if i needed earplugs. i said no (i'm usually very good at drowning out noise and concentrating).

however, when i started the AWA section, i didn't realize just how loud the other typing would be. the keyboard had a click to them and it really did get pretty loud in there so i raised my hand and asked the proctor for earplugs.

i haven't worn earplugs ever so it took me a few minutes to get used to putting them in my ears, etc.

i probably lost about 5 minutes in AWA because of the difficulty to concentrate and earplugs.

at home, i was used to working by myself on the computer. the tv set would usually be on so that got a little distracting at home but i learned to tune it out. the keyboard clicking was different from anything i was used to at work.

so my only advice is...practice taking the test wearing earplugs.

the paper and marker were fine. my marker worked perfectly like it was brand new and the paper was great. i did run out of paper in the math section so i raised my hand and the proctor quickly gave me another set.

RVD.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Problems in GMAT test center??? [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2007, 01:30
kwam wrote:
Do not worry about your hands, they will be BLUE! Otherwise nothing.

Mine orange fingers haha... And the plastic sheets are slippery. Anyway that's nothing too serious. You'll be okay.

GMATBLACKBELT, I wish you all the best.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2007, 20:46
Someone audibly farted during my test. Made me laugh, which kind of threw me off a little bit.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2007, 03:05
mba2010 wrote:
Someone audibly farted during my test. Made me laugh, which kind of threw me off a little bit.

Hahahahahaha

That's why I used the ear plugs
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2007, 04:59
kwam wrote:
mba2010 wrote:

Hahahahahaha

Yes, but depending on what they ate, nose plugs might also be necessary!
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2007, 14:30
ishcabibble wrote:
kwam wrote:
mba2010 wrote:

Hahahahahaha

Yes, but depending on what they ate, nose plugs might also be necessary!

:lol:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2007, 15:49
mba2010 wrote:

rofl
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 13:09
what type of marker do they give? like sharpies or are the tips not as thick?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 13:29
fine tip sharpie.
  [#permalink] 25 Sep 2007, 13:29