Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 08:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Professor Chan: The literature department s undergraduate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Professor Chan: The literature department s undergraduate [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 11:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Professor Chan: The literature department’s undergraduate courses should cover only true literary works, and not such frivolous material as advertisements.
Professor Wigmore: Advertisements might or might not be true literary works but they do have a powerfully detrimental effect on society—largely because people cannot discern their real messages. The literature department’s courses give students the critical skills to analyze and understand texts. Therefore, it is the literature department’s responsibility to include the study of advertisements in its undergraduate courses.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which Professor Wigmore’s argument depends?
(A) Texts that are true literary works never have a detrimental effect on society.
(B) Courses offered by the literature department cannot include both true literary works and material such as advertisement.
(C) Students who take courses in the literature department do not get from those courses other skills besides those needed to analyze and understand texts.
(D) Forms of advertising that convey their message entirely through visual images do not have a detrimental effect on society.
(E) The literature department’s responsibility is not limited to teaching students how to analyze true literary works.

Please explain your answers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 12:03
C - if understanding a text covered in school can help understand another which was not covered, but a need to understand advertising remains, it indicates that advertising is too dissimilar and must be covered explicitly

whats OA?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 19:26
Anymore comments? Not C.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 20:28
Through elimination

A) has "never" so the assumption seems to broad
(B) contrary to his stated opinion
(C) they might get other skills,
(D) he mentions advertisements have a detriment on society, doesn't say just "text advertisements" so this one seems out of scope
(E) Correct - not just how to analyze true literary works but the critical skills to analyze and understand texts, any texts
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2007, 03:28
My choice is A.

If we assume that lterary works have minute detrimental effect than Professor Wigmore's whole comment is invalid as he talks specifically on detrimental effect.

waiting for reply though.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Undergraduate courses [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2007, 04:19
eyunni wrote:
Professor Chan: The literature department’s undergraduate courses should cover only true literary works, and not such frivolous material as advertisements.
Professor Wigmore: Advertisements might or might not be true literary works but they do have a powerfully detrimental effect on society—largely because people cannot discern their real messages. The literature department’s courses give students the critical skills to analyze and understand texts. Therefore, it is the literature department’s responsibility to include the study of advertisements in its undergraduate courses.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which Professor Wigmore’s argument depends?
(A) Texts that are true literary works never have a detrimental effect on society.
(B) Courses offered by the literature department cannot include both true literary works and material such as advertisement.
(C) Students who take courses in the literature department do not get from those courses other skills besides those needed to analyze and understand texts.
(D) Forms of advertising that convey their message entirely through visual images do not have a detrimental effect on society.
(E) The literature department’s responsibility is not limited to teaching students how to analyze true literary works.

E by POE.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2007, 04:20
I go with B.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2007, 13:52
AlexBon wrote:
I go with B.

Why?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Undergraduate courses [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 01:28
eyunni wrote:

I would say B, but I kinda doubt... It it sounded "Courses offered by the literature department doesn't include..." I would be more confident in my choice. I also thought about E, but it says about "to analyze true literary works" and author speaks about "to analyze and understand texts" which is not the same.

So, I pick B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 04:47
Ok, So what is the OA?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 06:05
OA is B.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 08:02
eyunni wrote:
OA is B.

I still don't get why B is the answer....

What's the source?
Intern
Intern

Re: CR: Undergraduate courses [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 09:01
eyunni wrote:

I'll try to elucidate. Professor's argument depends on condition that lit depature does not include or cannot include both true literary works and advertisments. Otherwise Professor's claim to include the study of ads in the course does not make sense at all.
Sorry for late answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Undergraduate courses [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 09:32
AlexBon wrote:
eyunni wrote:

I'll try to elucidate. Professor's argument depends on condition that lit depature does not include or cannot include both true literary works and advertisments. Otherwise Professor's claim to include the study of ads in the course does not make sense at all.
Sorry for late answer.

I thought the same way, though, I was confused by "cannot"
Intern
Intern

Re: CR: Undergraduate courses [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 09:59
elgo wrote:
AlexBon wrote:
eyunni wrote:

Sorry for late answer.

To be honest, me too but I guess this one (B) is the only answer that accomplishes logically the argument.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Undergraduate courses [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2007, 10:09
AlexBon wrote:
elgo wrote:
AlexBon wrote:
eyunni wrote:

Sorry for late answer.

To be honest, me too but I guess this one (B) is the only answer that accomplishes logically the argument.

I don-t catch. The fact that the course cannot include advertisements does not seem to be an assumption from Wigmore....he states that the course has a responsibility to go over literalry works....can someone clear it me please
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2007, 11:01
Whats the source?
To me E sounds best. It was down to choosing between A and E and A got rejected for being too extreme.

B never even occurred to me. :) Would love to see the explanation.
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Undergraduate courses [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2008, 07:51
I do not understand the full reason why its B.

But I read B differently. Wigmore thinks that advertisements need to be included in the lit department courses. But B is saying that if teh study of advertisement is included in a course offered by the lit department, the course cannot contain anything about the study of true literary works.

so why is this mutual exclusion an assumption according to the OA, thats what I don't get?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Undergraduate courses [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 06:58
I got E as well. B never even occured to me. I can't see the logic with B.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Undergraduate courses [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 09:05
I really don't see how B can be correct......then again I chose D so what do I know

Wigmore is not assuming they both cant be taught together? That is what he is advocating ?
Re: CR: Undergraduate courses   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2008, 09:05