Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 07:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 11:09
Hi,

Profile:
12 years experience in Life sciences industry with Health Care emphasis

Current role Product Manager: Recently, earned a promotion to PM . Fortune 500 company based in the US
Responsible for AIDS/HIV based clinical products - around 10 million USD/year. Also responsible for USD 200 Million Opportunity cost program comprising of multiple instruments and software. The products are considered as the standard by WHO (world health organiztion). Also earned a recommendation to the Leadership program within the company. Previously completed 26 leadership and management courses conducted by Harvard business publication

Started as a programmer in a small company and earned a lateral promotion to Marketing in 2005 due to a innovative suggestion to open a custom application role. This role was created, with me as the primary driver and increased sales by 25% in the field of drug research. Increasing responsibilities over the year.

Extracurricular: Toastmastes - Treasurer (leadership role),member Since April 2012 -will have my basic Competent communicator certificate by Jan 2013 and also working on my Leadership certificate Initiated and developed my own Yoga classes (free of charge) with a non-profit center - have taught around 40 students so far in 2012 alone. 3 years of extensive volunteer experience (more than 250 hours) in a team captain role comprising of more than 20 projects in the Captial area. Initiated and conducted Yoga classes for company employees in 2008 for 6 months to relieve stress for them - around 15 associates attended them. Member of the G5 leadership program. Judge at a humor contest for toastmaster in 2012. Industry faculty in 2005 and 2006 Microscopy course for industry KOL's

Interests: Formal training in Salsa, bachata, merengue, tango and Western Ball room dances. Spent more than 300 hours between 2005 and 2008 on these interests. Certified yoga instructor. certified in basic Ice skating,

Won first prize for the "green idea" in 2012 for the company. Member of the Green team at the company.
Have Earth and Moon badges for learning from Khanacademy
2nd year representative and senior lead at a Closed circuit club in undergrad.

Undergrad - MS in Biological sciences (integrated 5 year program) and also did a dual in BE Electrical Engineering at a Top 5 university in India GPA(was ranked above one of the IIT's) - 3.48/4.0

Graduate: Arizona State university GPA - 3.64/4.0 - MS in Engineering with thesis in Biology and computer science

Nationality: Indian, US permanent resident

Age 35: -will be 36 when matriculating

GMAT: 670 (48Q/34V) 84%

Target Programs: Want to serve in the life sciences industry with health care emphasis moving forward (same industry as before)

Haas EWMBA
UCLA FEMBA (Flex)
UC Davis - PTMBA (Bay area)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 22:56
Expert's post
Hey there kayjay,
Sooooo, you have plenty of really great stuff in your profile here. Lots of good solid work experience, very excellent grades and what's really nice is that you have a lot of diverse and interesting hobbies/activities outside of work, which I feel give a fullness to your profile that many other candidates might lack. I also feel that your choice of schools is appropriate and you should be competitive at those three schools. You might think about adding a school or two to your list. The first one that comes to mind is Kellogg (although not easy to get accepted) which has a part-time program and strengths in Health.

If there is one thing you need to work on in your profile it is the leadership. Right now, although I see you have led products, I don't read anything about leading PEOPLE, and the schools you apply to will be looking for that. They will figure that after 12 years of WE, you should at least have had some managerial experience, and you need to milk whatever you have to the very last drop.

Hope this helps. and if you have any follow up questions, don't hesitate!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 08:06
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey there kayjay,
Sooooo, you have plenty of really great stuff in your profile here. Lots of good solid work experience, very excellent grades and what's really nice is that you have a lot of diverse and interesting hobbies/activities outside of work, which I feel give a fullness to your profile that many other candidates might lack. I also feel that your choice of schools is appropriate and you should be competitive at those three schools. You might think about adding a school or two to your list. The first one that comes to mind is Kellogg (although not easy to get accepted) which has a part-time program and strengths in Health.

If there is one thing you need to work on in your profile it is the leadership. Right now, although I see you have led products, I don't read anything about leading PEOPLE, and the schools you apply to will be looking for that. They will figure that after 12 years of WE, you should at least have had some managerial experience, and you need to milk whatever you have to the very last drop.

Hope this helps. and if you have any follow up questions, don't hesitate!

Thank you Jon!

I have led commercialization of products, beta testing and trials but i have not had supervisory role. Is that okay? I will highlight these in my resume and career goals essay.
I have extensive experience outside of work leading people - i was a team captain for more than 20 projects at a non-profit volunteer group. Is that sufficient - i must have led close to 100 people combined on those projects? I can include that in the get to know essay for these schools.

Also, i have one "D" grade which is barely passing in my graduate transcript will that hurt my chances? Should i write an optional essay to explain it?

I will look into Kellogg based on your suggestion.

Jon - Thank you again
Expert Post
Admissionado

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 12:33
Expert's post
Not having a supervisory role is okay. Of course having one is better :)
Whatever you do, in your essays try and emphasize your leadership and training and anything that resembles management. And yes project management counts too.

As for your grade.. honestly for one grade 12 years ago!!!! No need to address it... they won't care....

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 13:29
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Not having a supervisory role is okay. Of course having one is better :)
Whatever you do, in your essays try and emphasize your leadership and training and anything that resembles management. And yes project management counts too.

As for your grade.. honestly for one grade 12 years ago!!!! No need to address it... they won't care....

Thank you Jon. Will do!
Expert Post
Admissionado

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2012, 00:05
Expert's post
You got it buddy...
And good luck!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado