Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 06:20 It is currently 14 May 2024, 06:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1428 [0]
Given Kudos: 572
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation for Insead [#permalink]
Expert Reply
OnlyINSEAD wrote:
Hi,

First of all thanks for reading and hopefully responding to my request.
hi OnlyINSEAD - thanks for reaching out. I am going to add to the choir here and also say that you can have a top choice but that you may want to broaden your range. And yes already you may also want to look at executive MBA programs too.
I need a profile evaluation, applying for INSEAD.

GMAT - 720 Q50, V38, IR4
GRE - 321 Q165, V156
TOEFL - 109 ( all section nearly equal and above 25)
IELTS - awaiting score.
CGPA - 8.24 / 10
Academics - B.Tech and M.Tech (5 yrs combined degree)
University - Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay.
Current Employer - Schlumberger (oilfield service company)
Age - 32

Employement - 8 years of experience in 3 different business segments. Started as a research engineer. Due to interest shown, after 1 year, moved to core business as a field engineer.
2 years later got promoted to Project management segment as a Well Engineer and after another 2 years positioned as Engineer In Charge. The business segment
I work in doesn't have much management hierarchy. There is a Project manager, Operations manager, Engineer in charge and then follow the engineers and technicians.
I handle 5 business segments of schlumberger and contractors, on behalf of client.
Along with different business segments, also worked across 4 different countries - India (1year), UAE (3 years), Australia (2 years), Chad (2 years).

Extra-curricular: At university, worked in student Entrepreneurship cell. 8 yrs out your university involvement matters little. Need something more current.
Hobby is travelling - Traveled extensively in 15 countries.

Award: Received 1 achievement award from Schlumberger, for work contributions

Volunteering: Nothing to talk about. This is a problem to be addressed....

Based on evaluation, looking for professional assistance for essays. Also would like to know if age > average age will be a problem.

Your age is at very edge of upper range- so applying sooner is better at this point. However you are emerging into the sweet spot of exec MBA programs.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thanks for sharing.

Your age is above the average, but is should not be a major concern. I had many classmates during my time at INSEAD, and clients over the years who were above your age, who made it to the MBA program, and found the experience worthwhile. As a slightly older candidate, showcase your extensive leadership experiences across cultures, functions, and personalities. It would also be essential to show focus and self-awareness, identifying exactly what you want to improve on, what to gain from INSEAD, and your direction post-MBA.

Your preference to apply for only INSEAD is also more common for INSEAD than other schools. You must have done your research well enough to know why it is the only school you are targeting. Make sure to communicate this in your essays, as this would help your chances, as well.

Your lack of volunteer experiences can be addressed by playing up different aspects of your profile to show your ability to engage groups/communities. Selecting the topics and anecdotes carefully would help address this to some extent.

Look forward to hearing your updates. All the best!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1590 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
OnlyINSEAD wrote:
Hi,

First of all thanks for reading and hopefully responding to my request.

I need a profile evaluation, applying for INSEAD.

GMAT - 720 Q50, V38, IR4
GRE - 321 Q165, V156
TOEFL - 109 ( all section nearly equal and above 25)
IELTS - awaiting score.
CGPA - 8.24 / 10
Academics - B.Tech and M.Tech (5 yrs combined degree)
University - Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay.
Current Employer - Schlumberger (oilfield service company)
Age - 32

Employement - 8 years of experience in 3 different business segments. Started as a research engineer. Due to interest shown, after 1 year, moved to core business as a field engineer.
2 years later got promoted to Project management segment as a Well Engineer and after another 2 years positioned as Engineer In Charge. The business segment
I work in doesn't have much management hierarchy. There is a Project manager, Operations manager, Engineer in charge and then follow the engineers and technicians.
I handle 5 business segments of schlumberger and contractors, on behalf of client.
Along with different business segments, also worked across 4 different countries - India (1year), UAE (3 years), Australia (2 years), Chad (2 years).

Extra-curricular: At university, worked in student Entrepreneurship cell.
Hobby is travelling - Traveled extensively in 15 countries.

Award: Received 1 achievement award from Schlumberger, for work contributions

Volunteering: Nothing to talk about.

Based on evaluation, looking for professional assistance for essays. Also would like to know if age > average age will be a problem.

OnlyINSEAD:

Looks solid. Good progression, field experience, great international experience, strong acads, and good GMAT. The age is not a problem at all in your case, and the ops experience will make you a hot target for consulting firms, in case you intend to go that way post-MBA. Over the last year odd, more profiles like yours have been applying to MBA programs, given the state of affairs in the oil&gas industry, so hard work on the essays still quite important. Overall, though, you seem in good shape. Would suggest you also look at IMD and perhaps LBS though (if it suits post-Brexit) as additional options.
GMAT Club Bot