Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation for Ms Finance- HSG, LSE, HEC Paris

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Profile evaluation for Ms Finance- HSG, LSE, HEC Paris [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 03:35
removed...

Last edited by quoctuams on 06 Mar 2013, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 7

Re: Profile evaluation for Ms Finance- HSG, LSE, HEC Paris [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Just saw this post while I was actually searching for something else, but since I did my B.A. in St. Gallen and am admitted for the MSc in Accounting and Finance at LSE, I'll share my thoughts.

For the St. Gallen MBF: They are very transparent how they value the different parts of the application and your GMAT will carry you a long way there. You will probably lose some points regarding extracurricular activities. I don't know what they expect in the motivation letter, but I assume even with an average letter your chances overall are high.

LSE is more of a black box, but still... you have a great GMAT score, so this will help you a lot. Undergrad institution might hurt you a bit as well as not great extracurricular activities. Overall, I think you're competitive.

No idea about HEC.

Don't worry about work experience, it hardly matters for these programs. You should have a clear plan/motivation why you want to do the specific program at each school and how you will add value to the class. If you can communicate this well, you should be fine.

quoctuams wrote:
Hi everyone

Could you please help me to evaluate my chance to enroll in one of Master in Finance at LSE, University of St. Gallen, or HEC Paris?

I'm a fresh graduate from Vietnam, with a Bachelor Degree in Business Administration in Vietnam National University.
GPA: 3.7/4
GMAT: 760 (Q50, V42)
IELTS: 8.0
Passed CFA Level 1
Work experience: 6 months as accountant in a pharmaceutical company. I will take an internship in a big local investment fund in mid-February.
Extra-curricular: there were some, such as I was selected as representative for my uni at one international conference in sophomore year, helped the uni to organize some events. However, most of them were in my sophomore and junior year. During my senior year in college, I was quite inactive (?).
LoR: I could get good LoRs from the Program Director and the Vice Dean of the faculty.

My biggest concerns are lack of working experience and undergrad in unrecognized university.

Your opinions would be of very great help. Thank you in advance.
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation for Ms Finance- HSG, LSE, HEC Paris [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 09:28
FifthEmu wrote:
Hi,

Just saw this post while I was actually searching for something else, but since I did my B.A. in St. Gallen and am admitted for the MSc in Accounting and Finance at LSE, I'll share my thoughts.

For the St. Gallen MBF: They are very transparent how they value the different parts of the application and your GMAT will carry you a long way there. You will probably lose some points regarding extracurricular activities. I don't know what they expect in the motivation letter, but I assume even with an average letter your chances overall are high.

LSE is more of a black box, but still... you have a great GMAT score, so this will help you a lot. Undergrad institution might hurt you a bit as well as not great extracurricular activities. Overall, I think you're competitive.

No idea about HEC.

Don't worry about work experience, it hardly matters for these programs. You should have a clear plan/motivation why you want to do the specific program at each school and how you will add value to the class. If you can communicate this well, you should be fine.

Thank you very much FifthEmu, I really appreciate it.
I know that the admission policy at St.Gallen is very transperant, but I'm still concern about my undergrad institution as the GPA part can still account for 30 points. Anyway, St.Gallen is my 1st priority and I will try to come up with a good motivation letter :D.
Since you did your BA there, can you share some thoughts about the school overall?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: HSG '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile evaluation for Ms Finance- HSG, LSE, HEC Paris [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 23:15
According to St.Gallen admission rules, you shall be admitted directly if GPA + GMAT is at least 70.
You gain maximum 50 point on GMAT and only need 20 point on GPA (5.0/6.0 ~ 3.36/4.0). Clearly, you've got high chance.
My GPA is only 3.37. If they simply convert 3.37 to 5.0 then it will be ok. Otherwise, I will have to fight for about 15 point from Letter of Motivation and Extracurricular Activities.
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation for Ms Finance- HSG, LSE, HEC Paris [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 00:30
Hi MonSama

Thank you for your reply. It's nice to see some one else from VN also interested in studying at HSG.
Are you also applying for MBF 2013?
From what I have read, they will converse our GPA to 6-scale based on relevant subjects only (their bachelor degree as benchmark perhaps). So I guess weak grades in unrelevant courses may not hurt your candidacy much :D
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: HSG '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile evaluation for Ms Finance- HSG, LSE, HEC Paris [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 00:37
yep. Have you paid the enrollment fee? I need to pay the invoice in 2 weeks and really want to be sure about my chance before spending 200 EUR :-D Well, I have 3 Cs in propaganda course (Marx Lenin) and a lot of 8.4 (B) :( They hurt my GPA so much. If they count relevant course, my gpa may be about 3.4x. It doesn't change much. I have sent an email to the admission authority to ask about how they convert grade. Wish me luck. It would be great if both of us are admitted.
Re: Profile evaluation for Ms Finance- HSG, LSE, HEC Paris   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2013, 00:37