Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation! Please Help! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
That's MUCH better!

Okay, so from the way things look here, I have some good news for you: I don't think you are aiming too high. I think that you have some tougher schools on your school list and some easier ones, and that on the whole they should balance out.

Plus I was very impressed by how you wrote about your work experience. If there is one thing that B-schools always look out for it is this type of "shooting star" profile you have shown here - moving up the ladder faster than anyone else - with real promotions, and being the youngest manager does not hurt at all either :)

So make sure you keep on emphasizing this when you write your essays.

I'm not sure about your goals though (I'm not sure they are bad either but it's a thought) - On the one hand, yes strategy consulting is the "normal" post-MBA job, buuuuut you have a lot of strong experience in finance, which is another MBA classic powerhouse, and you might want to make use of your past experience for your future goals. You could also apply with a "strategy consulting" goal, but it's something to think about. I just think that since you have already gained a leadership position, why not carry on towards "higher managerial duties" within your industry.

Otherwise, things look pretty good. "Just" write some beautiful, passionate, fascinating essays, and you are all done!
;)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
That's MUCH better!

Okay, so from the way things look here, I have some good news for you: I don't think you are aiming too high. I think that you have some tougher schools on your school list and some easier ones, and that on the whole they should balance out.

Plus I was very impressed by how you wrote about your work experience. If there is one thing that B-schools always look out for it is this type of "shooting star" profile you have shown here - moving up the ladder faster than anyone else - with real promotions, and being the youngest manager does not hurt at all either :)

So make sure you keep on emphasizing this when you write your essays.

I'm not sure about your goals though (I'm not sure they are bad either but it's a thought) - On the one hand, yes strategy consulting is the "normal" post-MBA job, buuuuut you have a lot of strong experience in finance, which is another MBA classic powerhouse, and you might want to make use of your past experience for your future goals. You could also apply with a "strategy consulting" goal, but it's something to think about. I just think that since you have already gained a leadership position, why not carry on towards "higher managerial duties" within your industry.

Otherwise, things look pretty good. "Just" write some beautiful, passionate, fascinating essays, and you are all done!
;)

Hey thank you so much for the detailed explanation and encouraging words.

The reason I want to pursue a career in consulting is because problem solving is something I love doing. I think I have a fairly analytical mind. Its something I've been doing in my current position as well. But now I want to pursue it at a much wider scale. Want to work and learn it at a proper management consulting firm (hopefully one of the big 4). I like to stay ahead of the market. I'd love to provide consulting advice to clients that would help them achieve desired results. Moreover through consulting I'm hoping to widen my understanding of new sectors (preferably Petroleum and Minerals, both fields fascinate me). So pursuing a career in consulting will be the immediate goal post my mba. Long term goal would be to start my own business utilizing the expertise gained through my work experiences. My motivation for setting up my own business (maybe in Oil and gas or Mining) is my upbringing. I come from a family where no one’s willing to take the risk of starting something on their own. From a very young age kids are told that should study hard and strive to get into either the civil services or a good engineering college (eg. IIT). I want to change this perception. Also post my MBA I would love to continue working on certain social issues that I consider exceptionally important such as providing clean drinking water, proper sanitation and good quality education to the less well off in society.

Does that make sense to you?
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sure it makes sense! And it's a grand goal to be sure. Buuuuuuuuut my question I was asking myself is: is this the best goal you can present to the AdCom? I mean let's start with your long-term goals (I think moving to consulting is pretty reasonable)... but so far do you have any proven entrepreneurship? Have you laid the bases for your business? Actually you don't yet know what you want to do! And this from the AdCom's point of view is not so fantastic. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) how many people go to business school thinking they will start their own business, and become the next Apple or whatever.... but even the percentage of startups that don't crash is pretty small... and the schools want people with good solid goals, who are guaranteed success (or at least a good solid career), so keep that in mind when you present them your goals...

Afterwards if you still dream of opening that business, of course by all means!!!

But right now our job is to get you IN!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Sure it makes sense! And it's a grand goal to be sure. Buuuuuuuuut my question I was asking myself is: is this the best goal you can present to the AdCom? I mean let's start with your long-term goals (I think moving to consulting is pretty reasonable)... but so far do you have any proven entrepreneurship? Have you laid the bases for your business? Actually you don't yet know what you want to do! And this from the AdCom's point of view is not so fantastic. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) how many people go to business school thinking they will start their own business, and become the next Apple or whatever.... but even the percentage of startups that don't crash is pretty small... and the schools want people with good solid goals, who are guaranteed success (or at least a good solid career), so keep that in mind when you present them your goals...

Afterwards if you still dream of opening that business, of course by all means!!!

But right now our job is to get you IN!

Thanks once again for your prompt response

You make a very good point. I agree I should rework my long term goal. Btw I do have some entrepreneurial experience. I co-founded an internet based educational portal back in 2006. I sold my entire stake in the firm to the other co-founder making a decent return on investment.

Also. what about my short term goal of moving into consulting and the reasoning behind it? Does all that make sense?

Thank you so much for all the guidance you've provided already.

Regards
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Aha! Great!

Well, when you come up with your long-term goals, see how you can tie it in to this experience. Best is when you are specific as possible (I don't know, but for example, let's say your company was based on one or two patented products, then you have a certain expertise in a certain field, and you should be basing the goal on that specific field).

And your logic for your short-term goals makes sense just make sure that the entire arc from past to present to future fits in a single natural looking line.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Aha! Great!

Well, when you come up with your long-term goals, see how you can tie it in to this experience. Best is when you are specific as possible (I don't know, but for example, let's say your company was based on one or two patented products, then you have a certain expertise in a certain field, and you should be basing the goal on that specific field).

And your logic for your short-term goals makes sense just make sure that the entire arc from past to present to future fits in a single natural looking line.

Interaction with you has been extremely useful. Thanks for all the guidance that you've provided :D

Regards
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Happy to help dude.
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts