Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation -- What's My Ceiling?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation -- What's My Ceiling? [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2014, 18:21
1) Hired out of school as a logistics engineer/business analyst for a large North American transportation services company. 4 years' experience at the time of intended matriculation (Fall 2016). 2 promotions: one vertically within the engineering department, one diagonally into a marketing role.

Initial work consisted of developing decision support tools for the CMO and senior sales VPs. Designed and automated a comprehensive customer score card, used for quantifying and ranking customers on the dimensions of quality of revenue, growth potential, operating characteristics, etc.

Developed subject matter expertise on transportation sustainability topics. Acted as an internal and external consultant on green transportation practices. Liaison to the EPA, conducted capital investiture analysis on green technology, prepared and marketed carbon offset sales.

Recently I was asked by a C-level officer to consider a transition into the company's business management. Accepted the offer. Now directly responsible for the financial and operational performance of two critical Midwestern markets. No direct reports under me, but it is managerial in the sense of making decisions that affect equipment utilization, network design goals, customer relationship management, etc. Act as an integration point between pricing, sales, operations, and IT support for these markets. Youngest of my professional peers in a similar role and consistently performing in the top tier.

2) 720-740 estimated (Based on MGMAT practice exams, Magoosh question drills, OG assessments, etc)

3) University of Arkansas, 3.6 GPA, Industrial Engineering, 2011

4) An admitted shortcoming. Minimal volunteer work with Habitat for Humanity. No leadership roles in community engagement. Undergrad extracurricular activity included working as a peer mentor for freshman engineering students. Met with 20+students weekly throughout their first year to discuss their academic and personal progress during college and provide advice for success in their degree tracks.

5) No certifications

6) Kellogg, Stanford, Haas, MIT, NYU, Columbia

7) R1 2014-15

8) Career realignment with either the non-profit or social entrepreneurship sectors. Particular interest in the healthcare and/or education fields. Really looking to develop the network and academic background necessary to enable a smooth transition from the supply chain and logistics industry.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation -- What's My Ceiling? [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 13:54
Expert's post
Hello,

I consider one challenge to your application to lie in your intended career transition. Ideally you should show some involvement in or exposure to your areas of interest, healthcare or education nonprofit. It doesn’t have to be part of your career; indeed career transitions for MBAs are common. But then some involvement with these issues from an extracurricular or educational standpoint would be helpful. The key point is to make a credible case for your future goals. It looks like you still have time to take steps in that regard.

Otherwise, your work sounds very strong in itself. A high GMAT will be a big plus. Most likely, these schools would be reasonable reaches – Stanford obviously very high. I think they’d all be great fits for you, in terms of what they’d offer you.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation -- What's My Ceiling? [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 15:51
Thanks for the feedback!

My senior design project during undergrad required my team to develop a proposal for a nursing skills simulation lab at a regional veterans hospital. This included facilities design, capital investment budgeting, class scheduling, researching the efficacy of new teaching methodologies, and a formal recommendation on how to finance the lab and operate it. I managed the project for my team. As a result, I was elected the most outstanding project manager for my graduating class by a panel of faculty and project sponsors.

So I feel I have a good cornerstone for writing a narrative around my interest in healthcare and education through that experience. But that would be my only direct experience.

I'd really like somehow to communicate to the adcoms that the culmination of my experience in school and in business has taught me that the most important leadership skills are translatable across industries. Is that something worth emphasizing or would it come off as too typical?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation -- What's My Ceiling? [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 16:21
Expert's post
I'm glad to hear that you have a good experiential foundation for your goals. It sounds like a good basis to me.

As for your question, don't worry about how "typical" something might sound. The key value for the adcom is in how you came to that perception, i.e., how you derive learning and meaning from your experiences. And that will inherently be particularlized because it's based on your actual experience. That said, I wouldn't focus so much on conveying this abstract message; rather, focus on your experiences and how they prepare you for your goals, how they motivate you, and how they shape your perspective.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog