Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Re: Profile Review - Please help [#permalink]
Hi vbhvbaheti,

I don’t see any weaknesses per se (yes, a better test score will be more helpful at top schools), but (from the brief description of your professional experience) one challenge you’re likely to face is putting forth strong leadership/ managerial etc. experiences in your essays and recommendations. Professional experiences usually far outweigh those in college/ school.

Purely on the basis of your test score and brief profile you’ve mentioned, I think Wharton, Booth, Columbia, Tuck, UCLA, and Ross would be tough.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
vbhvbaheti wrote:
Hi,
I need some help in evaluating my profile for schools listed below and suggestions on which school can be my target schools.
Hi vbhvbaheti, My comments for you in blue below...
Nationality - Indian

GMAT - 700 (89%ile)I am just going to be blunt. Top MBA programs are going to be able to choose among the top candidates on every metric and this 700 score is not going to get you noticed at the top schools. It is possible to get in, but your odds are really low- so just know that.
IR - 7 (82)
V-35 (76)
Q -49 (77)
AWA - 5.5 (81)

Schooling
class 10th - 85.3%
class 12th - 87.6%

College - Birla Institute of Technology and Science , Pilani, Raj , India
Degree - B.E(hons. ) chemical engineering with Practice School (6 month internship)
CGPA - 7.57/10This GPA along with the GMAT score are now working in your favor...
multiple economics, finance elective - 6 courses while i have 8 core chemical subjects though BITS doesnt provide a major or minor.

Additional certification
1. Cleared CFA Level 3 in June 2015 - awaiting charter
2. UK financial regulation examination conducted by CISI

Work Experience - Total of 3 years ( will be 4 by the time of admissions) Good level of work, not standing out however.

GS India - Operations - 1.5years - Equity Derivs MO - responsibility risk management, reconciliation and corporate actions
GS India - Securities Division - 1.5 years - Management and Strategy Team - responsibility competitor and gap analysis, revenue and b/s budgeting, regulatory related - setting risk limits on trading desks and revenue projection for volcker rules.

Extra curriculars -
1. Flair for dancing - won street dance @ BITS-PILANI fest OASIS
2. School dance club lead - won various competitions
3. U/12 & U/14 atheletics champion in School annual sports and U14/16 football and handball team captain in school

Just to make a point but i still continue dancing as my hobby

Leadership - develop more leadership in community
1. School vice captain in Students union in school
2. Captain of Handball and football team in school
3. Senior core member of department of theatre that organised theatre events in Oasis - BITS annual cult fest
4. Senior core member of Dance club that organised dance based events in Oasis - BITS annual cult fest

Cummunity work
1. volunteer at GS CTW - CSR activity of GS
2. have taken part in OXFAM for charity as support crew member
3. have prepared marketing material, sponsorship material and provided developmental ideas for Tribal welfare association (name withheld)

As my academics and work ex suggest i want to pursue an MBA with concentration in Finance & strategy, reaching Sales or IB or buy side firms like wealth management firms

Please tell me which colleges are reach, target or should try with a better GMAT score in no particular order

1. wharton
2. booth
3. NYU - stern
4. georgetown - mcdonough
5. Olin
6. tuck
7. fuqua
8. UNC - kenan flagler
9. simon - rochester
10. UCLA
11. Columbia
12. tepper
13. ross
From this list- your best bets are Olin, Simon, Tepper
2. please hihlight weakness in my profile that i should adress in essays Be very specific to each school what appeals to you in their program and what you want to do post MBA. I'd look at their recruiting stats and make sure what I wanted to do was a place where they are recruiting. For what you can do to improve, beyond retaking GMAT, is to work on developing more leadership in your work and in community. Best wishes!
Looking forward to your responses and help. thanks in advance
GMAT Club Bot