Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 12:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 02:00
Psychologists are concerned with the different aspects of behaviour and mental processes and cannot prescribe medications. A clinical Psychologist uses psychotherapy and other counselling skills to improve emotional and mental health. Find the best Psychologists near your area for evaluation, diagnosis, counselling, and treatment of behaviour and mental processes.

:-D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

Re: Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 10:11
Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some ill-informed scientists, photographic memory is a myth. Most of the top competitors at this summer’s national memory championship have brains that are neurologically indistinguishable from those of the general population and cognitive abilities that are seldom more than a standard deviation above average

I feel that option D actually strengthens the argument.

D) Photographic memory was initially proposed by a scientist whose theories of mind have since been widely discredited. -> If the idea was proposed by a scientist whose theories have been widely discredited, doesn't he fall under the "ill-informed scientists" given in the question stem? If thats true, then doesn't it strengthen the argument that the photographic memory is a myth?

Please correct me if my reasoning is wrong.

Kudos if the post helped! :)

The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night. -H.W. Longfellow

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 02:33
Hi Denispatrick , Your shared very important and informative topic "Psychologist" I read out your post and get knowledge. I am new on gmtclub and looking some information about nursing home care and elder care. can you define nursing home...

Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:-D
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Education)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 31

Re: Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2013, 09:47
+1 for D.

how to go ahead with questions like

"Which of the following would LEAST strengthen the argument above?"
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2014, 22:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
greatps24 wrote:
Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some ill-informed scientists, photographic memory is a myth. Most of the top competitors at this summer’s national memory championship have brains that are neurologically indistinguishable from those of the general population and cognitive abilities that are seldom more than a standard deviation above average.

Which of the following would LEAST strengthen the argument above?

The competitors at this summer’s championship are typical of the segment of the population thought to have photographic memory.

People with photographic memories would have brains that are neurologically distinguishable from those of the general population.

Photographic memory requires cognitive abilities more than a standard deviation above average.

Photographic memory was initially proposed by a scientist whose theories of mind have since been widely discredited.

Photographic memory, if it exists, would be a requirement even to qualify for a national memory competition.

Hello experts,

I am really confused on how to deal with such "least strengthen" questions. Can you please help define a procedure to get the correct answer for such questions?

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Preparing for the next shot!!!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
WE: Research (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2014, 06:00
greatps24 wrote:
Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some ill-informed scientists, photographic memory is a myth. Most of the top competitors at this summer’s national memory championship have brains that are neurologically indistinguishable from those of the general population and cognitive abilities that are seldom more than a standard deviation above average.

Conclusion: Photographic memory does not exist.
Why?-
Premise 1: Most top competitors at the championship have brains similar to those of the general public (questions I ask: should their brains be different from those of the general public? and are the competitors at the championship representative of people who may have photographic memory?)
Premise 2: Their cognitive abilities are seldom a std deviation above average (question i ask: should one's cognitive abilities be higher than a std deviation for one to have photographic memory

Quote:
Which of the following would LEAST strengthen the argument above?

The competitors at this summer’s championship are typical of the segment of the population thought to have photographic memory. This statement means that folks at the championship are representative of people who may have photographic memory. Hence the statement strengthens the argument

People with photographic memories would have brains that are neurologically distinguishable from those of the general population.If people with phoo memory would have brains that are distinguishable from those of the general population, Premise 1 of the argument is strengthened. Hence this statement's out.

Photographic memory requires cognitive abilities more than a standard deviation above average.This statement strengthens premise 2. Hence its out as well

Photographic memory was initially proposed by a scientist whose theories of mind have since been widely discredited.This statement discredits the abilities of the individual who proposed the theory. Hence, it strengthens (slightly) the argument's conclusion the theory is flawed

Photographic memory, if it exists, would be a requirement even to qualify for a national memory competition. Even if photographic memory were an implicit requirement (the reason i say implicit is because of the phrase "if it exists" in the Ans choice) to qualify for the championship (which according to the question had several participants), it provides no information on whether photographic memory is a myth. This statement, as per me, adds no value to the argument. Thus it least strengtens the conclusion.

My choice: E
Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2014, 06:00