Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rasta's Short and Sweet Revised GRE Experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 132 [1] , given: 286

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Rasta's Short and Sweet Revised GRE Experience [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 04:29
This post received
KUDOS
End Result: Q:750-800; V:750-800

Edit: ...Continued after hangover

Why GRE?
I've already taken the GMAT, and not done too badly. So that begs the question: Why GRE? Good question. I have given so many different answers when asked this question. The answer lies somewhere between the fact that I have been wanting to retake the GMAT for quite some time now, but wasn't able to motivate myself to start going through the same old routine again. In the revised GRE, I found a new challenge, something to get me back in the old swing of things, without being a complete waste of time. Make no mistake, the revised GRE is here to play with the big boy (GMAT).

Prep
I registered sometime in late July and scheduled my test for Sept 16, leaving me with what I assumed would be enough time to run through all of the following material:
1. Official Guide to the Revised GRE - 7/10
2. Princeton - Cracking the New GRE - 3/10
3. Barron's NEW GRE - 4/10
4. Kaplan - NEW GRE Premier - 3/10

However, I quickly realised that 1. I didn't have enough time to finish two books, let alone all four, and 2. the three non-official books weren't perfect. Getting in the 750-800 range for Quants was a given, and I decided to focus on the weak link: Sentence Equivalence and Text Completion. I realised that none of the material that I had would help me much, and therefore used the following instead:
1. Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis - 8.5/10
2. Princeton Word Smart - 4th Ed - 7/10
3. Manhattan GRE - Sentence Equivalence and Text Completion - 8/10
4. Manhattan GRE Flashcards - 8/10

I wish I could say that I finished all of the above cover to cover, but I did enough to jump up a few notches, and increase my confidence. I went into test day with no where the amount of prep that I had planned on doing, but I was still confident of doing well - nerves of steel :wink:

Practice tests
Sadly, I had time to take just one practice test, which was at the start of my prep. I've got to say though, a lot of credit on how I fared should go to this test - a Kaplan online practice test. The test experience was very similar to what I experienced on test day, but more importantly the scores accurately reflected where i was strong (Quants, RC) and where I was weak (SE and TC)

D-Day
Getting there:Where was I, oh yeah, nerves of steel. My test was at 9:00 AM. I drove to the test centre and I spent a good 20 mins trying to locate a parking space. I entered the centre at 8:50 AM, 20 minutes late, or, as I put it, a 10 minutes early. The admin asked me why I was late, and I got into an argument over the damn parking.... After what seemed an eternity, but was a good 15 minutes early, I made my way to my seat.

Essays:
Not worth going over. I used the old Chinese Burned Essay guide, and it was a breeze. I practiced one of each a couple of weeks ago, but that was more than enough. A lot of people stress over this simple, (almost) meaningless section, and in my opinion, it's not worth spending more than 0.5% of your total prep time on this section.

Verbal:
I got three verbal sections. The first was easy, but the next two were hard, and I'm not sure which one was the experimental section. Nothing much to talk about here. I made quite a few "educated" guesses in the SE & TC questions, but all the other question types were a breeze, expect for this 1 RC question that took me almost 5 minutes to work my head around - yes, before you ask, of course, I saved it and came back to it at the end :)
I've got to say, all those hours spent building my vocab really came in handy, but even more handy were all those years I spent reading novels, and magazines. I wish I read newspapers :wink:
Remember people, it's all about context. Search within the question, and though shall findeth the answer :lol:

Quants:
If you're like me and you've got 50 on the Quants section of the GMAT, then you won't even bat an eyelid. The questions are so damn cheap compared to those that appear in the GMAT.

Takeaways
The Verbal section of the Revised GRE will be a lot easier for Native english speakers.
Confidence matters a lot when you are taking tests. If only I was this confident when I took the GMAT.

More details, including reviews of prep material, will follow in the coming days

Net Impact's BUSINESS AS UNUSUAL Guide - a must-read!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAt Status: Quant section
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
Schools: WBS (D)
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 94

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rasta's Short and Sweet Revised GRE Experience [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 05:40
congrats man :-D it's an awesome verbal score

How can i lose my faith in life's fairness when i know that the dreams of those who sleep on the feathers are not more beautiful than the dreams of those who sleep on the ground? - Jubran Khaleel Jubran

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Rasta's Short and Sweet Revised GRE Experience [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 13:52
Super ! Great going

Aakhir rasta dhoond hi liya :)

I was really happy to read this thread as i recently decided to take the GRE after taking the GMAT. i just left a note seeking help in preparing for the GRE. You were strong in Quant already, i am not and need to work hard in verbal as well.

I am now looking for the material you have rated high. If you get a chance pls read my query on my diagnostic GRE test score gre-diagnostic-test-score-interpretation-pls-help-126174.html

Best ,
B
Re: Rasta's Short and Sweet Revised GRE Experience   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2012, 13:52