Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Re-entry/Non-traditional Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey there,
Well I think that you don't need to retake the GMAT. (Not that a higher score wouldn't help), but especially since you are American, once you hit the threshold of 720, the a GMAT of 750 is not gonna be some sort of "magic bullet" which will get you in, esp. since the problems lie elsewhere.

I mean the best thing you have done is gotten that high GMAT, so now as an AdCom member, I can say "Okay, this is one smart woman". That's in the bag. But where your real issue lies is with what the AdComs might perceive as fickleness, or indecision, or laziness. And that will change only on the story you choose to tell them. One thing for sure, is that your goals have got to be CRYSTAL CLEAR. No hesitations, no wavering.. I mean you need to know exactly what positions you want in exactly what firms, and exactly why (and justify this too), and if you can do that, and tell a moving story (Say about med school and depression and overcoming it to find yourself) that will have far more affect that even 50 more points on the GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Hi Sara,

You have an interesting profile. Congrats on having the courage to follow your own path. That is not very common!

Your most recent GPA is what should matter - so don't stress out about that. Based on your statement of work experience - I would think a top 10 application might be difficult. But if you choose your schools carefully, based on career objectives, schools outside the top 10 should work. Go lower, and you might land yourself a nice scholarship as well.

Please feel free to get in touch with us (using the set up an appointment link in the signature) and we can discuss your situation in more detail over Skype.

Regards,
Karthik

sarasarasara wrote:
I've had a bit of a strange path and I'm trying to figure out what kind of schools I should be realistically looking at and what kind of chances I'd have. I originally went to Brandeis on a full scholarship and left after 2 years when I realized I didn't want to be pre-med and I couldn't figure out what to do instead. I was incredibly depressed and had something like a 2.8 when I left. I then worked in sales (cars, retail) and became an assistant sales manager (got promoted once to a larger department) over the course of 6 years working full time. Last year I went back to school. I was able to get into LMU (Loyola Marymount) at the last minute and packed my schedule to finish quickly. I'll be graduating in December with my BBA and around a 3.9 GPA. I'm 27, almost 28 and female.

Took the GMAT this past week and got 720 (V 41 Q 47 I 8 AW 6). Some other stuff I've done: had my own consignment business, acquired/flipped/managed/sold some properties with/for a friend, volunteer at a food pantry, and work 20-30 hours selling since I went back to school. Metrics as a salesperson and as a sales manager are very strong. I've been looking at lots of sales jobs that require an MBA, which is what I'm most likely interested in at the moment. Eventually my goal is to have my own business.

Some specific questions:

Will schools look at my earlier GPA or just the one from my graduating school (my transcript only lists my GPA from LMU)? How much will it hurt me that my undergrad isn't a very highly-ranked school? Is it worth trying to get a higher GMAT score--I only studied for a few weeks and between work and summer classes I didn't have much time to study and I think I could increase my quantitative score if I spent more time on it. Will a fall internship make any difference in applications--I can continue my retail sales job making about $28/hour vs. an internship of making $12-15/hour. The income does matter since I fully support myself without any help from my parents, but I can find a way to make it work if it's going to result in better future opportunities. And does going back to school after working negate that work experience I've had?

I greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions!
GMAT Club Bot