Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q50  V37
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [6]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Re: Required INSEAD average score for indian IT male [#permalink]
Kudos
whiplash2411 wrote:
As I often tell my Indian friends, the first step you need to take towards getting your MBA isn't even related to the application process. It's related to your mindset. Scores fail to matter after a point. I'd say plus or minus 30 of the average would be around good.

You do realize that given the way the educational system of India is shaped, most Indians are really good at math, don't you? The quantitative score, however impressive it might be, fails to matter say, beyond a 45-48. Doing bad on that will pull you down, but getting a 51 won't necessary say anything, because so did like 3000 other applicants.

The verbal portion is intended to put everyone on a same platform. If you're taking classes that are taught in English, they demand a certain amount of knowledge of the language from all applicants - native and non-native. So this is where you can prove that you're above the average IT applicant in order to master the section, as far as the GMAT is concerned. But bluntly speaking, and honestly put, I really don't think your awesome Q will balance a sub-par verbal score. I'd advise a more even split, in that you don't rely on your 700+ score to be a byproduct of only Q as opposed to an equal contribution from both sections.

As to answering the general direction of your question, there is no such thing as an average score for an Indian IT applicant. In fact, it'd be all the more better for you to distinguish yourself from that "average IT" crowd if you really want to get in.

The adcoms do realize that most Indians who apply for an MBA have an engineering or technical background (I am grossly generalizing here, but it's the rough truth). So unless you scored AIR 1 on the JEE I really don't think it would matter much. As for your undergraduate education, some colleges ask for an essay to detail the experiences. But once again, when you're applying for your MBA program, you should stop putting an infinite amount of importance on your technical scores. The 10th and 12th board exam scores will matter next to nothing and once again, but highlighting your technical background, you will have the opposite effect of what you want to happen.

They do not view your verbal with mercy in the sense that your Q might compensate for an abysmal verbal. But if your application is rock solid in all other senses, they wouldn't care to differentiate between a 40 verbal and a 48 verbal.

So start by telling yourself that the GMAT is but a score on the application. The real merit of your application is in how you present yourself as a distinct entity, very separable from the "IT crowd" that has become notoriously infamous in the MBA communities for placing undue emphasis on their technical skills when there's roughly 10,000 others with the same or better skills. I'm not asking you to completely avoid this in your application, but you should be focusing on that work experience and international exposure you mentioned there thrice as much as the concern you've expressed for your scores.

I apologize in advance if anything I said appeared to be stereotyping the population. But I only said what I did because you identified yourself with the said stereotype. And you needn't have to explain how the system works in India, as I studied there myself before moving to the US. I hope this clears some of the confusion you've had, and I sincerely hope you migrate from your quantitative stance to a more qualitative one. :)

Hi Whip,

I didn't read the post but I have a feeling I know what you said :) Nice post!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
shaselai wrote:
yes retake it if you feel you want to boost score

Shaselai,

I second this, what score do you think he should aim for? 795?
Current Student
Send PM
i am not sure because i dont know his gpa. it is probably decent from his description though. i think with the competitiveness maybe 750ish?>
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Guys, stop playing around please?

The GPA is immaterial to this question except as a potential boost for the application in the circumstance that his GMAT is really bad.

aravind, I think a feasible target to set yourself would be a 700. But focus on trying to get a holistic section score compatibility as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Hi Whiplash and others,
Thanks for the advice.

there are four quadrants in INSEAD application, i have doubts only on the fourth part

1. leadership skills
-- am confident of showing this in my essays
2. International exposure
-- am confident of showing the international motivation in my essays
3. Ability to contribute
-- reasonably confident with extra curricular things
4. Academic + GMAT
-- I feel 710 is a good score..I have no doubts about it..and verbal is 80%- quant 93%, if not a great balance, it is not a worst balance
But recent insights from various people and mba admission experts( Richard Mantauk ) showed that 'for indians, the average score is in the 740s' and the reason for rejection would not be clear whether it is because of score or bad application.

1)So that is the reason i stressed on the academic part,if it would compensate for the score.
2) experts also suggest that if you depending on the specialization preferred, some schools prefer Quant score.. So wanted to check if INSEAD gives any importance.
3) In my essay ,I won't be writing a laundry list of achievements.
What is important is how am different in reaching those achievements,their relevance blah blah blah

And finally INSEAD also says '70% in each section is good for atleast reviewing the app'
INSEAD in its website says that 'We normally do not encourage applications from previously rejected candidates'
So ,have to weigh the risk factor as well... and should we shoot the center of the target rather than shoot at the ends multiple times ?
Current Student
Send PM
yeah that's why i was suggesting a retake to get around that score - i understand it is part of the application BUT it is also a part that YOU CAN CHANGE. Most applicants can't really change the other parts - GPA? Done. Work Experience? Done. Extracurricular? Pretty much all done unless you want to look insincere and get one now.. So although I agree adcom looks at the WHOLE PICTURE but if you know you can do better than a 710 then why not? of course suggesting a 795 is unrealistic and impossible but there are people on the forum who retook from 700 and got higher scores.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
yeah that's why i was suggesting a retake to get around that score - i understand it is part of the application BUT it is also a part that YOU CAN CHANGE. Most applicants can't really change the other parts - GPA? Done. Work Experience? Done. Extracurricular? Pretty much all done unless you want to look insincere and get one now.. So although I agree adcom looks at the WHOLE PICTURE but if you know you can do better than a 710 then why not? of course suggesting a 795 is unrealistic and impossible but there are people on the forum who retook from 700 and got higher scores.

Definitely the only thing he can change right now. I think he should aim for the 795 though. Even though it is unrealistic, if he falls short, he will still have a great score!
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V37
Send PM
guys :-D don't fight in fixing the target score .. ROTFL.. :lol: leave it...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Send PM
aravindb wrote:

I love your signature, any tips on improving verbal?
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V37
Send PM
definitely... am going to come up with tips soon...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Dawgie wrote:
Definitely the only thing he can change right now. I think he should aim for the 795 though. Even though it is unrealistic, if he falls short, he will still have a great score!

You've gotta stop doing this.

Aravind, yes, do retake by all means. But the whole average score thing is meant to be there for the purpose of a statistic and just that. If you can retake and get a better score, do it. But as an Indian IT applicant, they are not going to give any special weightage to your Quant score since everyone has an awesome quant, considering your specific competitor pool.

IF your'e confident about expressing your achievements, leadership skills and international motivation (whatever that means, I am not even sure what you want to convey there, but I'll assume it's a global presence for going beyond just India and so on) in your essays, a 710 won't hold you back from getting in. But that said, like shaselai suggested retaking isn't a bad idea either. Aim for a 750, and if you end up at a 730 you're bang in the target zone.

A 710 is a great score. I don't think any school will reject you for that. If at all anything, they might give you more brownie points for exemplifying other qualities in your essays because the GMAT score is but one part of your application, and perhaps the most redundant one given your specific competitor pool.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Dawgie wrote:
aravindb wrote:

I love your signature, any tips on improving verbal?

tips-for-verbal-99223.html
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
As I often tell my Indian friends, the first step you need to take towards getting your MBA isn't even related to the application process. It's related to your mindset. Scores fail to matter after a point. I'd say plus or minus 30 of the average would be around good.

You do realize that given the way the educational system of India is shaped, most Indians are really good at math, don't you? The quantitative score, however impressive it might be, fails to matter say, beyond a 45-48. Doing bad on that will pull you down, but getting a 51 won't necessary say anything, because so did like 3000 other applicants.

The verbal portion is intended to put everyone on a same platform. If you're taking classes that are taught in English, they demand a certain amount of knowledge of the language from all applicants - native and non-native. So this is where you can prove that you're above the average IT applicant in order to master the section, as far as the GMAT is concerned. But bluntly speaking, and honestly put, I really don't think your awesome Q will balance a sub-par verbal score. I'd advise a more even split, in that you don't rely on your 700+ score to be a byproduct of only Q as opposed to an equal contribution from both sections.

As to answering the general direction of your question, there is no such thing as an average score for an Indian IT applicant. In fact, it'd be all the more better for you to distinguish yourself from that "average IT" crowd if you really want to get in.

The adcoms do realize that most Indians who apply for an MBA have an engineering or technical background (I am grossly generalizing here, but it's the rough truth). So unless you scored AIR 1 on the JEE I really don't think it would matter much. As for your undergraduate education, some colleges ask for an essay to detail the experiences. But once again, when you're applying for your MBA program, you should stop putting an infinite amount of importance on your technical scores. The 10th and 12th board exam scores will matter next to nothing and once again, but highlighting your technical background, you will have the opposite effect of what you want to happen.

They do not view your verbal with mercy in the sense that your Q might compensate for an abysmal verbal. But if your application is rock solid in all other senses, they wouldn't care to differentiate between a 40 verbal and a 48 verbal.

So start by telling yourself that the GMAT is but a score on the application. The real merit of your application is in how you present yourself as a distinct entity, very separable from the "IT crowd" that has become notoriously infamous in the MBA communities for placing undue emphasis on their technical skills when there's roughly 10,000 others with the same or better skills. I'm not asking you to completely avoid this in your application, but you should be focusing on that work experience and international exposure you mentioned there thrice as much as the concern you've expressed for your scores.

I apologize in advance if anything I said appeared to be stereotyping the population. But I only said what I did because you identified yourself with the said stereotype. And you needn't have to explain how the system works in India, as I studied there myself before moving to the US. I hope this clears some of the confusion you've had, and I sincerely hope you migrate from your quantitative stance to a more qualitative one. :)

You're pretty darned on the dot there... very well written and insightful. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 60
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
Send PM
Kudos
All crap. GMAT for Indian male engineer really plays a big role. Try asking B schools for data on GMAT scores for Indian male engineers, most will not share data, but the rare school who shares data (informally) will have a score 20-40 points higher than that of other categories. Sometimes the higher GMAT score is not enough.Next time anyone misguides Indian male engineers there should be serious slapping replies by people who get admits to tell the truth. Only on certain rare occasions will our category be accepted with average or below average scores.This reply is late but those who search now can find it useful.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived INSEAD Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our INSEAD Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated INSEAD Forum for all fresh things related to the INSEAD MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts