Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 06:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Returning to Undergraduate Alma Mater for MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Returning to Undergraduate Alma Mater for MBA [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 10:31
Hoping someone can provide some advice.

I've been admitted to a few schools, one of them being Kellogg (MMM program). I attended Northwestern as an undergraduate. I was wondering if anyone knows if this would be a disadvantage in a significant way to attend the same school twice.

My undergraduate majors were in communications and economics. I am coming from the advertising/marketing services world. My interest areas are social enterprise and innovations / design consulting.

One one hand, I love the program and feel it is best for me. However, if there are any red flags, I just want to be aware of them now.

Appreciate your help!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Returning to Undergraduate Alma Mater for MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 02:05
Expert's post
Hey Bamboo28:
I just wanted to chime in here quickly before hitting the sack.

It is not a disadvantage because you are really not "attending the same school twice." It's a completely new slate and ballgame with respect to the program, classmates and level of engagement and thought required. No one (recruiters or your friends) would think that you are part of some incestuous pool of thought. You are good to go should you go back to Kellogg.

The only thing I have seen is with PhD candidates. Most b-schools will not allow a recent PhD graduate to come back and teach at the same program they graduated from - that's incestuous (which is bad btw.)

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Bamboo28 wrote:

I've been admitted to a few schools, one of them being Kellogg (MMM program). I attended Northwestern as an undergraduate. I was wondering if anyone knows if this would be a disadvantage in a significant way to attend the same school twice.

My undergraduate majors were in communications and economics. I am coming from the advertising/marketing services world. My interest areas are social enterprise and innovations / design consulting.

One one hand, I love the program and feel it is best for me. However, if there are any red flags, I just want to be aware of them now.

Appreciate your help!

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Returning to Undergraduate Alma Mater for MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 09:29
Thank you, that's really helpful.

PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Hey Bamboo28:
I just wanted to chime in here quickly before hitting the sack.

It is not a disadvantage because you are really not "attending the same school twice." It's a completely new slate and ballgame with respect to the program, classmates and level of engagement and thought required. No one (recruiters or your friends) would think that you are part of some incestuous pool of thought. You are good to go should you go back to Kellogg.

The only thing I have seen is with PhD candidates. Most b-schools will not allow a recent PhD graduate to come back and teach at the same program they graduated from - that's incestuous (which is bad btw.)

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Bamboo28 wrote:

Appreciate your help!
Re: Returning to Undergraduate Alma Mater for MBA   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2012, 09:29