Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [15]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2724 [0]
Given Kudos: 1477
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31937 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Review of GMATPrep Exam Pack 2: Two full length official GMAT tests [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
dabral wrote:
Exam Pack 2 consists of two additional computer adaptive tests(CAT) that can be added to the official GMATPrep software. I have taken the Exam Pack 2 test multiple times and in this article I summarize my experience with Exam Pack 2. My comments are restricted to the quantitative section of the Exam Pack 2 only.

Database size: The database of quantitative questions in the Exam Pack 2 is around 220 questions. This is close to the 200 in Exam Pack 1 database.

Repetition: When I took Exam 5 once followed by Exam 6, I encountered one repeat question. This needs to be fixed because the whole idea of each test is to administer unique questions in the first attempt, and repetition of a question reduces the reliability of the test score. I understand that subsequent attempts will likely lead to repetition of the questions, but GMAC needs to ensure that there is no repetition between Exam 5 and Exam 6 on the first attempt.

Difficulty: Exam 5 quantitative section is significantly harder than Exam 6. This means the average difficulty of the questions I faced was much higher in Exam 5 vs Exam 6. For example, I had 12 minutes left at the end of Exam 5 compared to 20 minutes in the case of Exam 6. GMAT does have differences in difficulty level from test to test, however the difficulty level of an exam is normalized against other students, and the overall score of a particular student will be the same. The only difference is the actual test experience of the students, for example in Exam 5, I was under a lot of pressure and stress, whereas in Exam 6 I was fairly relaxed. That difference can impact students differently and can throw off the pacing during the exam. I personally would like to see GMAT test difficulty to be more or less the same for a given student that is performing at a given level.

Error:One question was written poorly and can be misinterpreted. I have attached the screenshot of that question. The numerator can be interpreted as cube of 2 multiplied by square root of 3, or 2 multiplied by cube root of 3. The test writers need to use a parentheses to clarify this.

Having pointed out some of the drawbacks of Exam Pack 2, I still like these two new tests and fully endorse these tests and urge students to make Exam Pack 2 an integral part of their GMAT preparation. With the release of Exam Pack 2, students now have six full length official practice tests at their disposal.

Hi dabral,

just a comment on the Ambiguous fraction..
I think it is clearly the second case-- 2 multiplied by cube root of 3..
the 3 is above the root and clearly responds to the root..
the two way it can be written is
\((2\sqrt[3]{3})^3\) and\((2^3\sqrt{3})^3\)

Clearly the Q is what first case is and exactly what it means..
There is always a difference of placement of 3 in both cases,,

chetan2u , dabral has a good point. To me as well the way the question is written, it is ambiguous. But then after spending 5-10 seconds, I can see if it is 2^3 then cubing this values will lead you to 2^9 and none of the options have that big of a number as the option. So it can not be that.

FYI, it is not as "clear" as you are making it out to be. The extra 5-10 seconds that I spent on figuring out the correct question may be the difference when I sit down for my GMAT.

GMAT has always been known to remove any sort of ambiguity be it technical or just representational.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31937 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Review of GMATPrep Exam Pack 2: Two full length official GMAT tests [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Engr2012 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
dabral wrote:
Exam Pack 2 consists of two additional computer adaptive tests(CAT) that can be added to the official GMATPrep software. I have taken the Exam Pack 2 test multiple times and in this article I summarize my experience with Exam Pack 2. My comments are restricted to the quantitative section of the Exam Pack 2 only.

Database size: The database of quantitative questions in the Exam Pack 2 is around 220 questions. This is close to the 200 in Exam Pack 1 database.

Repetition: When I took Exam 5 once followed by Exam 6, I encountered one repeat question. This needs to be fixed because the whole idea of each test is to administer unique questions in the first attempt, and repetition of a question reduces the reliability of the test score. I understand that subsequent attempts will likely lead to repetition of the questions, but GMAC needs to ensure that there is no repetition between Exam 5 and Exam 6 on the first attempt.

Difficulty: Exam 5 quantitative section is significantly harder than Exam 6. This means the average difficulty of the questions I faced was much higher in Exam 5 vs Exam 6. For example, I had 12 minutes left at the end of Exam 5 compared to 20 minutes in the case of Exam 6. GMAT does have differences in difficulty level from test to test, however the difficulty level of an exam is normalized against other students, and the overall score of a particular student will be the same. The only difference is the actual test experience of the students, for example in Exam 5, I was under a lot of pressure and stress, whereas in Exam 6 I was fairly relaxed. That difference can impact students differently and can throw off the pacing during the exam. I personally would like to see GMAT test difficulty to be more or less the same for a given student that is performing at a given level.

Error:One question was written poorly and can be misinterpreted. I have attached the screenshot of that question. The numerator can be interpreted as cube of 2 multiplied by square root of 3, or 2 multiplied by cube root of 3. The test writers need to use a parentheses to clarify this.

Having pointed out some of the drawbacks of Exam Pack 2, I still like these two new tests and fully endorse these tests and urge students to make Exam Pack 2 an integral part of their GMAT preparation. With the release of Exam Pack 2, students now have six full length official practice tests at their disposal.

Hi dabral,

just a comment on the Ambiguous fraction..
I think it is clearly the second case-- 2 multiplied by cube root of 3..
the 3 is above the root and clearly responds to the root..
the two way it can be written is
\((2\sqrt[3]{3})^3\) and\((2^3\sqrt{3})^3\)

Clearly the Q is what first case is and exactly what it means..
There is always a difference of placement of 3 in both cases,,

chetan2u , dabral has a good point. To me as well the way the question is written, it is ambiguous. But then after spending 5-10 seconds, I can see if it is 2^3 then cubing this values will lead you to 2^9 and none of the options have that big of a number as the option. So it can not be that.

FYI, it is not as "clear" as you are making it out to be. The extra 5-10 seconds that I spent on figuring out the correct question may be the difference when I sit down for my GMAT.

GMAT has always been known to remove any sort of ambiguity be it technical or just representational.

Hi,
I think there is no ambigouity, unless we are making one for ourselves..

You have to understand that if 3 is part of 2^3 3 will lie between 2 and the root sign..
If 3 is on top of root sign, it is part of the root and it is upto us to make it complicated and spend time on it..
This is a Mathematical formula and 3 cannot shift from being power of 2 to top of root sign

write the two forms you are confused with and you will realize both are different when written...
and to save 5-10 seconds in actual GMAT would be to know how each mathematical formula looks like, rather than leaving it to interpretations..
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shasadou

When I looked at the repeat question closely, it turns out that they are 99% identical, but are different questions. The correct answer is the same and the question statement is almost the same except the letter used for the variables, and all of the answer choices are the same except for one. So they are technically different questions. Of course, including almost identical questions in the database is a poor choice. I will bring this up with GMAC, and recommend them to delete one of them.

In summary, you are safe and you should not see any repetition, except this single case, which technically are two different questions.

Cheers,
Dabral
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Send PM
Review of GMATPrep Exam Pack 2: Two full length official GMAT tests [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I am no longer active on this forum.

Originally posted by dabral on 23 Mar 2016, 12:29.
Last edited by dabral on 29 Aug 2023, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
dabral wrote:
chetan2u

Thanks for the comment.

If one typesets it properly in TeX, then yes the difference is clear as shown in the attached image. But whatever GMAC is using is not up to the mark, at least in my opinion.

Dabral

My wild guess is that this is a real retired question, meaning it has gone through testing and difficulty correlation, thus being "confusing" or "misleading" it was good enough to mislead only the weak test takers and not the stronger ones. Thank you for bring this trick up - I have not encountered many like these, but good to see some of the ones they use to catch us offguard... while not perhaps most fair question, it was tested and passed the muster. Tell me if I am off.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 945 [1]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
dabral wrote:

Repetition: When I took Exam 5 once followed by Exam 6, I encountered one repeat question. On closer inspection, I found that the questions were 99% identical, they were testing the exact same concept with the same answer. The only difference was the letter used for the variable, and one of the answer choices that was different. I think these two questions, although technically different but 99% identical, are a bad choice and at least one of them should be deleted.

Error: One question was written poorly and can be misinterpreted. I have omitted its description here. The test writers need to use a parentheses to clarify the order of operation. Of course, a similar mistake can happen in the exam. And the key thing to remember is not to let one question throw your flow in the exam.

Thanks for the analysis.

How do the GMATEXAMPACK 2 question variety and general difficulty level compare to those of the GMATEXAMPACK 1?
Any noticeable shifts noticed e.g. more word problems ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [3]
Given Kudos: 133
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I purchased the two additional full length official GMAT tests a week before my actual GMAT. In general, I found these two tests tougher than the first two full length official tests. Although I scored on average 40 points lower on the CAT 3 and CAT 4, I believe attempting these helped me get out of the complacency zone I was in after getting high scores in the first two CATs. The lower scores actually gave me the push I needed in the last week running upto GMAT. In the end, I scored 20 points more than my average score of CAT 3 and 4.

If one has time on his side, CAT 3 and CAT 4 are definitely good to have and are more closer to the actual GMAT than any of Manhattan CATs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Sparta_750 wrote:
I purchased the two additional full length official GMAT tests a week before my actual GMAT. In general, I found these two tests tougher than the first two full length official tests. Although I scored on average 40 points lower on the CAT 3 and CAT 4, I believe attempting these helped me get out of the complacency zone I was in after getting high scores in the first two CATs. The lower scores actually gave me the push I needed in the last week running upto GMAT. In the end, I scored 20 points more than my average score of CAT 3 and 4.

If one has time on his side, CAT 3 and CAT 4 are definitely good to have and are more closer to the actual GMAT than any of Manhattan CATs.

yes, definitely! no other practice tests come closer to simulating the real exam conditions than the official GMAT tests.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
Send PM
bb wrote:
dabral wrote:
chetan2u

Thanks for the comment.

If one typesets it properly in TeX, then yes the difference is clear as shown in the attached image. But whatever GMAC is using is not up to the mark, at least in my opinion.

Dabral

My wild guess is that this is a real retired question, meaning it has gone through testing and difficulty correlation, thus being "confusing" or "misleading" it was good enough to mislead only the weak test takers and not the stronger ones. Thank you for bring this trick up - I have not encountered many like these, but good to see some of the ones they use to catch us offguard... while not perhaps most fair question, it was tested and passed the muster. Tell me if I am off.

Hi BB
Does premium members get any discount if buying these 2 tests from GMAT Club or are you still working on this ?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
282552 wrote:
bb wrote:
dabral wrote:
chetan2u

Thanks for the comment.

Dabral

Hi BB
Does premium members get any discount if buying these 2 tests from GMAT Club or are you still working on this ?

At the moment you will get a discount on the "previous" or "original" bundle (EP1 + QP2). We have not figured out how to get a discount on the new bundle and make economic sense since we used to subsidize the old one.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Dabral,

Thanks for the observations...I felt the same way, and it also showed in my respective scores on each test. Do you think this might be because both tests in this Exam Pack (5 and 6) are pulling from the same composite question pool?

For GMAT 700+ scorers, it is easy to understand how a higher-than-usual amount of questions in the pool (in this case, double) would result in a student getting twice as many hard questions as usual.

From what I understand, each test of 90 questions comes from a pool of about 150 possible questions (if anyone has a hard number on this, I'd appreciate it). It is possible that both tests 5 and 6 are pulling from the same pool of about 300 questions...meaning that on our first test (test 5), there were almost twice as many hard questions available as usual, which could account for our noticing a higher level of difficulty on that test. And on the second test, there were fewer harder problems left to give, because the GMAC doesn't want us to see the same question on each test.

This could also have consequences for students on the lower rung of the scoring ladder, who might see an easier test than usual on test #5 because of this (potential) software flaw.

The GMAC has repeatedly stressed in its official materials that a correct answer to a hard question will not always be followed by another hard question, because there is a limited number of hard questions of that type in the pool. However, the question that I have yet to answer is, is the pool of questions on the actual GMAT 300 questions, or is it closer to half of that? I have yet to discover the answer, because the GMAC has always released its practice CATs in sets of two.

If it is the latter, then in order to make these exams more realistic--and equally difficult--the GMAC would do well to release a GMATPrep software update that limits each test to half of the 300 or so possible questions (quant and verbal combined).

I am a fan of your work, and I keep sending students your way for helpful videos, information etc.

-Brian
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Send PM
Review of GMATPrep Exam Pack 2: Two full length official GMAT tests [#permalink]
Expert Reply

Originally posted by dabral on 28 Mar 2016, 10:38.
Last edited by dabral on 29 Aug 2023, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Hi Brian,

1) Yes, what you are saying is correct and Exam 5 and 6 are both pulling the questions from the same composite pool. It is entirely possible that the reason Exam 5 on average has a higher difficulty for a strong student is because it has exhausted bulk of the hard questions in the administration of Exam 5, and on the subsequent attempt at Exam 6 by a strong student the software is left with fewer hard questions for Exam 6. I do know that in the initial release of the free GMATPrep software, the question pools for the two tests were separate. In later revisions to the software, the pool was merged. I have no idea why that was done.

2) So far I know that the combined 74 quant questions for Exam 5 and Exam 6 are being selected from a database of approximately 220 questions in the case of Exam Pack 2. In case of the free GMATPrep tests(Exam 1 and Exam 2), the 74 questions are being selected from a much larger pool of around 700 quant questions. That is one reason why repeating Exam 1 and Exam 2 still gives more or less fresh questions.

3) As for the actual GMAT, I think the pool of questions is significantly larger. I don't have a number but I am guessing it should be closer to being in the thousands, I have seen 5000 being thrown around.

4) I agree with you that the best approach is to separate the database of questions that Exam 5 and Exam 6 are selecting the items from. As I said before this used to be the case with the initial release of GMATPrep in early 2006, but is no longer the case. I have no idea why that was done. I would love someone from GMAC to expand on this.

Thanks for the kind words.

Cheers,
Dabral

mcelroytutoring wrote:
Hi Dabral,

Thanks for the observations...I felt the same way, and it also showed in my respective scores on each test. Do you think this might be because both tests in this Exam Pack (5 and 6) are pulling from the same composite question pool?

For GMAT 700+ scorers, it is easy to understand how a higher-than-usual amount of questions in the pool (in this case, double) would result in a student getting twice as many hard questions as usual.

From what I understand, each test of 90 questions comes from a pool of about 150 possible questions (if anyone has a hard number on this, I'd appreciate it). It is possible that both tests 5 and 6 are pulling from the same pool of about 300 questions...meaning that on our first test (test 5), there were almost twice as many hard questions available as usual, which could account for our noticing a higher level of difficulty on that test. And on the second test, there were fewer harder problems left to give, because the GMAC doesn't want us to see the same question on each test.

This could also have consequences for students on the lower rung of the scoring ladder, who might see an easier test than usual on test #5 because of this (potential) software flaw.

The GMAC has repeatedly stressed in its official materials that a correct answer to a hard question will not always be followed by another hard question, because there is a limited number of hard questions of that type in the pool. However, the question that I have yet to answer is, is the pool of questions on the actual GMAT 300 questions, or is it closer to half of that? I have yet to discover the answer, because the GMAC has always released its practice CATs in sets of two.

If it is the latter, then in order to make these exams more realistic--and equally difficult--the GMAC would do well to release a GMATPrep software update that limits each test to half of the 300 or so possible questions (quant and verbal combined).

I am a fan of your work, and I keep sending students your way for helpful videos, information etc.

-Brian
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Dabral,

Thanks for your help. Well, if you've counted 220 Quantitative questions per Exam Pack test, then we can assume that the number of Verbal questions is similar. Thus, there are about 400 questions in the question pool.

Question Pack 1 has 200 Quantitative questions, 180 Verbal Questions and 24 IR questions (404 total), so I imagine the numbers on the CATs are similar.

If the real GMAT has thousands of questions in the pool, then why would the GMAC tell us that it might run out of questions of a certain difficulty level (page 8 of OFG)? Seems suspect, but I imagine that there is no way to know for sure unless they tell us.
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Originally posted by dabral on 29 Mar 2016, 10:30.
Last edited by dabral on 20 Aug 2023, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Hi experts, please help me in justifying the my result from this Exam Pack 2.

I recently got V40 (RC 38, SC 40, CR 42). As usual, there are 13 RC, 17 SC and 11 CR questions in Verbal section. I was incorrect in 2 RC questions (so 11/13 correct) and 4 CR questions (so 7/11 correct). The weird thing was that I found 2 incorrect RC questions so difficult, while 2-3 incorrect CR questions are easy (at least they are not at the same level as the 2 incorrect RC questions are).

As I understand, GMAC algorithm is that an incorrect easy question is more harmful than an incorrect hard question. So I was very confused with the result (42CR and 38 RC).
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
tronghieu1987 wrote:
Hi experts, please help me in justifying the my result from this Exam Pack 2.

I recently got V40 (RC 38, SC 40, CR 42). As usual, there are 13 RC, 17 SC and 11 CR questions in Verbal section. I was incorrect in 2 RC questions (so 11/13 correct) and 4 CR questions (so 7/11 correct). The weird thing was that I found 2 incorrect RC questions so difficult, while 2-3 incorrect CR questions are easy (at least they are not at the same level as the 2 incorrect RC questions are).

As I understand, GMAC algorithm is that an incorrect easy question is more harmful than an incorrect hard question. So I was very confused with the result (42CR and 38 RC).

I wouldn't say that an incorrect easy question is more harmful than an incorrect hard question. The impact on your score has more to do with where in the test those questions appeared (early, in the middle, or late?).
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2