Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 19:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shell Shocked and Numb with Disbelief

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Shell Shocked and Numb with Disbelief [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 22:54
Hi everyone, this is my very 1st post on the GMAT Club. And m devastated to say that i am reporting failure. Gave my GMAT yesterday and got a horrible 560 (Q 43, V 25). A 25 on a verbal. :shock: I just can't believe it.

A little bit history so that i can justify why i am shell shocked indeed!

I am Indian, female, 22. Just done with my graduation (Electronics and Communication). I have a job offer in hand with a Indian IT giant. I start this September there. Since i graduated recently, i had about 3 months on hand full time to study well and get a good score. Before even setting myself targets, I brought the OG, Understood what exactly the GMAT was. Familiarized myself with the question patterns and answered few questions from all sections. Then Somewhere around May this year i gave my first GMAT Prep exam to know where i stand.
I got a 560 (Q 41, V 26).

I was a bit disappointed as i thought my verbal was always good. I've been exceptionally good at English all through out high school and life in general. I am an avid bookworm. I do read a lot from all sorts of books, magazines and journals. I was a tad bit concerned about my concentration powers. I noticed a drop and i was easily distracted by mundane and silly stuff while studying. Apart from this i realized CR was a slight weak point along with RC. Funnily enough (or not) i was good at SC right from the beginning.

Quant was always going to be a problem for me as i was average at Math all my life. Anyhow i chalked up my study plan from mid May and bought the Manhattan Review Strategy Guide Set. All the set of 10 books. I studied devotedly, put in almost 7 hours daily. I knew that this free time was damn valuable as once i started my professional career i was not going to get anytime for something as important as the GMAT. I studied every topic related to Quant from the strategy guides. Practiced the relevant OG problems. Did all of this dutifully and with a eye to learn rather than just score correctly. I did 3 hour Quant 3 Hour verbal daily. I did meditation as well to channelize my inner power and get my concentration back. I exercised daily (Jogged 4kms daily). I started giving MGMAT tests from the first week of July after really studying all the basics for a month and a half. I took considerable breaks between study as well.

MGMAT Test 1 : 590 (Q 42, V30) 1st week on July
MGMAT Test 2 : 670 (Q 45, V36) 3rd week of July (You can see that considerable practice made all the damn difference here)
Kaplan Test 1 : 610 (Q 44, V 31) 4th week of July (My confidence was really hit).
MGMAT Test 3: 680 (Q 46, V 36) 1st week of August
GMAT Prep 2: 690 (Q 49, V 34) I was really happy with this, because i knew i had to schedule the test within last week of August and this convinced me that i was on track. Kept my target as 680-690. Scheduled a slot for Aug 30th (5:00-9:00 pm)
MGMAT Test 4: 690 (Q 46, V 37)...confidence was high (August 3rd week)
MGMAT Test 5 : 670 (Q 45, V 36), wasn't really concerned with the 20 point drop, told myself i was on track. (2 days before test).

30th Aug 2013: D-Day. I went about my exercise routine as usual. Was slightly concerned with the time slot, but told myself it was fine as most of my mocks were during 4:00 pm to 8:00pm. I never really had any timing issues during mocks. I knew my concepts were strong and it was all about applying the same on the test day.

Anyhow got Gatorade and snickers for my breaks, arrived before schedule for the exam. I was pretty cool and calm.

AWA and IR were pretty smooth. I was asked to remove my sweater before the exam and i found the AC pretty distracting. However I found the IR easy after the MGMAT practice IRs. Took my 1st break and drank half the Gatorade and had half the chocolate. Told myself that i would nail quant.
Started quant, and the downfall started as well. The very 1st question stumped me, it was a weird sequence question, and i took 3 mins to get past it, though i wasn't convinced i did it right. Got some medium level questions and then the hard level started. I found i was having trouble even understanding the questions, The damned Air Conditioning troubled me very much. Anyhow i kept at the exam, guessed a few questions and around 25-32, got a whole bunch of fairly easy questions. I knew i blew quant. The last few were a bit hard, but i did them anyway.

Took my break finished the Gatorade. I told myself that i will own Verbal no matter what. The first 5 questions were SCs, and m sure i got past all of them correctly, few CRs. Fairly medium level. Then two back to back RCs. I found them tough. 2 tough inference questions. I knew i nailed them as the passage was easy to understand. Along came two back to back boldface CRs. I always nailed the bold face questions in practice and m sure as hell, i nailed these too. More tough SC questions came along the way. I guessed on one coz it was hard to spot the damned error and the options all looked the same to me (dunno why). along 20- 23, the Air Conditioning was really getting to me. I told myself to shut the hell up and concentrate. Looked to me as if my brain and all the damned neurons froze right then and there. I got a really tough RC with convoluted information (Biology) :cry: . Then came a bunch of SCs, another RC (medium this time) and 1 more bold face CR question. Found the last few questions fairly tough. So i judged that overall, i must have done fairly well enough on Verbal. Finished the exam, completed the damn survey. I knew i was going to see a 35 above on verbal for sure. Not 40, but at least a 35. Clicked report my score and there it was a 25! I was the last person to finish the test that day and had trouble even getting up from my seat and getting home. Could there be any way that the 25 verbal was wrong? I know i blew quant.

Everything had gone terribly wrong the past year and i was really looking for the GMAT to motivate me. I have to go away for 4 months tough training for my new job. Now i am beginning to question my abilities. Really gutted. Will i excel at my career, will i ever get a 650 above on GMAT? Was my approach wrong? My basics for sure are not that pathetic to deserve a 560. What can be more worse than getting the same score on your actual GMAT that you got on the first mock before start of prep ? I really had trouble getting out of bed today morning. Kinda Lost. Anyone offering help or advice or change of strategy are most welcome. Should i let the GMAT go for now and focus on building a good career? I won't be applying for any sort of program for another 3-4 yrs anyway. What should i really do? Can i write to the GMAT and ask for a check on the verbal? i know no good can come of that deep down, but still. I know for sure that i am worth much more than a stupid 560. I don't deserve that whatsoever. :cry: . Is the real GMAT quant pretty hard than the MGMAT and GMAT Prep. I remember not finding similarly patterned questions as the OG on the real GMAT. Does the OG suck? Or did i have a bad day anyway?

Please do Help!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 22

Re: Shell Shocked and Numb with Disbelief [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 08:39
This post received
KUDOS
Hey positiveretaker - we always are so sad to read posts like yours!!! The GMAT is soooo difficult and you clearly have been working hard at it for some time. Your comment of how hard it was to get out of bed today really touched a nerve. This MBA stuff is such an emotional rollercoaster and it can be impossible not to take all of it personally. What we want to say in response to your experience is that we can see you have the absolute right attitude that you need to be a success - the handle that you created for your GMAT Club account is awesome and you've got that amazing pic in your profile - and you aren't giving up, you came here and posted about everything that happened for everyone to see and to give you some help. All of that is completely awesome (the profile pic especially!!) and that shows us that you have what it takes to turn this around.

Since we're not GMATSnark then we can't really comment on your approach to studying and all that, but there's a lot of smart people here who are hopefully going to chime in and give you some advice. Mostly we wanted to emphasize that we see a lot of people who have trouble with this test, and most who take it again improve their score significantly - sometimes we even see 100 point increases (it doesn't happen all the time but it does happen!!!).

So you've come to the right place!

Hope you feel better about the experience - chocolate might help (or whiskey - depending 8-) ) . This test is challenging, don't let it get you down!!!

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 150 [3] , given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Shell Shocked and Numb with Disbelief [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
positiveretaker wrote:
Hi everyone, this is my very 1st post on the GMAT Club. And m devastated to say that i am reporting failure. Gave my GMAT yesterday and got a horrible 560 (Q 43, V 25). A 25 on a verbal. :shock: I just can't believe it.

MGMAT Test 1 : 590 (Q 42, V30) 1st week on July
MGMAT Test 2 : 670 (Q 45, V36) 3rd week of July (You can see that considerable practice made all the damn difference here)
Kaplan Test 1 : 610 (Q 44, V 31) 4th week of July (My confidence was really hit).
MGMAT Test 3: 680 (Q 46, V 36) 1st week of August
GMAT Prep 2: 690 (Q 49, V 34) I was really happy with this, because i knew i had to schedule the test within last week of August and this convinced me that i was on track. Kept my target as 680-690. Scheduled a slot for Aug 30th (5:00-9:00 pm)
MGMAT Test 4: 690 (Q 46, V 37)...confidence was high (August 3rd week)
MGMAT Test 5 : 670 (Q 45, V 36), wasn't really concerned with the 20 point drop, told myself i was on track. (2 days before test).

Please do Help!

There is nothing wrong with you nor with your basics, else you woudnt have got those scores.....

Regarding your mocks did you take them with complete real day environment,did you take those breaks the way they are? i can see the AC played a spoilsport. Nothing to worry now things will be much easier for you than you think.....Enjoy your free time without prep, join the training and after a week or so start getting into the practice mode...An hour a day will be enough, just maximise your time on the weekend.

You dont have to worry about your basics, it was just not your day thats it.

Cheer up, if you plan to apply for 2014 fall then you still have time for R2 and R3.Start slowly and am sure you will strive...

Keep us posted...

ATB

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shell Shocked and Numb with Disbelief [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi positiveretaker,

First the bad news, which you already know: Your score is an accurate reflection of your performance on test day. Asking to have your test re-scored isn't going to make a difference.

But as your name suggests, you can stay positive about re-taking! It's clear from your practice tests that you can do better. You did too well on too many reliable exams to believe that all of them were just mistakes or flukes.

It's hard to make suggestions on how to avoid the test-day stress that clearly set you back so far on your real exam. From the description you've given, it sounds like you did everything right--practicing regularly but not so intensely that you were exhausted, taking a day off before the real thing, maintaining a healthy exercise schedule, etc. The only suggestion I have is this: speak up if there is a problem! The proctors may be able to adjust or turn off the air conditioning if it's really bothersome. you don't have to "tell yourself to shut up" just because the thing that's distraction you is, in your opinion, minor. If it's a distraction, it's a distraction. There's no harm in letting the staff know, and they might even be able to fix it.

Best of luck, and keep up the good work.

Regards,

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 7

Re: Shell Shocked and Numb with Disbelief [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 17:08
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Positiveretaker,

I'm not sure where you went wrong, but I would take it over if I were you. I took all the MGMAT practice exams as well and didn't do nearly as good as you on them, but managed a meager 660 (47Q, 34V) on the actual GMAT exam. I never got higher than a 43Q on the practice exam.

To me, the quant on MGMAT was significantly harder than that on the actual exam, and I feel that actually helped me on the real exam. Going through those tough problems made the actual quant section seem like a breeze. I feel MGMAT's weak point is its verbal section.

The GMATPrep is also a good indicator of how you'll do, and you did well on your second take of it, so I guess I would attribute your actual exam score to nerves and letting that AC get to you. I would think you would be able to get at least a 700 based on your practice exams. My scores on the GMATPrep exams were only 590 and 620. Think positively and focus more while taking your next exam.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern

Re: Shell Shocked and Numb with Disbelief [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 00:23
essay snark : Thank you so much dude for all the positive words. I am really sure i can do it and though painful enough m putting the bad experience behind me and moving ahead with positive lessons taken from the first GMAT. Thanks much for all the good words u put in :). Yup 5-6 blocks of chocolate did help eventually :) :P
Intern
Intern

Re: Shell Shocked and Numb with Disbelief [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 00:25
Prateekbhatt : thank you so much for the encouraging words, yup m back on my feet and will start practice with better focus and dedication, decided to take some time off though for now. Thank you so much again :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Shell Shocked and Numb with Disbelief [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 00:27
Eli Meyer : Yeah, i finnaly understood that the score was obvioulsy my reflection of how i did on the test day. :( :). Well this time m going to fend off the GMAT and the damned air-conditioning as well. Thank you for your response. It did help me back on my feet :) :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Shell Shocked and Numb with Disbelief [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 00:29
youngkacha : First off Congratulations on your score. :) Its a good one seeing that you scored more on the main exam than on the practice ones. Mine is a real bad experience, but heck yeah i've got to move on, thank you for your response, will focus more positively and hopefully will do it right this time around :)
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 22

Re: Shell Shocked and Numb with Disbelief [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 05:59
positiveretaker wrote:
essay snark : Thank you so much dude for all the positive words. I am really sure i can do it and though painful enough m putting the bad experience behind me and moving ahead with positive lessons taken from the first GMAT. Thanks much for all the good words u put in :). Yup 5-6 blocks of chocolate did help eventually :) :P
You definitely have the right attitude!! Can't wait to hear your success story later on when you nail this thing!!!

Good luck!
EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Re: Shell Shocked and Numb with Disbelief   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2013, 05:59