Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 10:20 It is currently 08 May 2024, 10:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Re: Should I apply or not? [#permalink]
GMATpp wrote:
Thank you so much, Nink for generous advice and also your time.

My forgot to give you my profile.
GMAT 550 (Q49 V17) and again today 540 (Q49 V16)
My GPA is 3.5.
I am international student.I worked at Pwc for one year.
I want to be an accounting professor so I need master's but verbal is my big barrier.
I think I have nothing to lose here.
SO just go for it right?

I'm sorry what do you mean by looking at other alternative?

Other alternatives meaning other schools. Your quant score is absolutely fabulous but your verbal score might prevent you from getting admitted. Any score in 10-20 range is going to be a concern in the eyes of the adcoms. Not sure if they are lenient on international applicants. (They might also require TOEFL if you didn't study in US for the undergrad degree)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much again ,Nink.

I don't know about other schools at all. Any suggetions?
I think other good schools probably require more GMAT than Minnesota.

I wish I could do better...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
GMATpp wrote:
I want to be an accounting professor so I need master's but verbal is my big barrier.
I think I have nothing to lose here.

I'm sorry what do you mean by looking at other alternative?

By accounting professor, do you mean lecturer in college or a regular faculty member, e.g. doing research and teaching at a good school (such as Minnesota)? If it's the latter, you don't need an MS Accounting degree per se. Most PhD students in Accounting don't have much of an Accounting background at all (work or school), but many have a solid background in Economics or Statistics. So in your case, unless you want to have the fallback option of going back to professional accounting, you might want to look at MS Econ or MS Statistics options, where the GRE will be accepted (and likely preferred to the GMAT). The good thing about the GRE is that you don't get a 'magic' overall score that combines quant and verbal -- you get quant, verbal and writing scores that have nothing to do with each other. If you got a 49 on the GMAT quant section there's no reason why you shouldn't score 800 on the math section of the GRE. In your case, schools won't get your previous GMAT scores when you have a score report sent to them, just the GRE score, so the 550 GMAT will be irrelevant.

However, a 17 GMAT verbal score is terrible and will likely translate into a terrible GRE verbal score unless you prepare properly. I am an international student as well (French-Canadian) and I don't think that not being a native English speaker is a good excuse for scoring poorly in the verbal section. You need to prepare properly, whether it's the GMAT or the GRE. There are plenty of do-it-yourself guides out there. When I prepared I worked as hard on the verbal as on the quant and ended up with a 760 (Q 49, V 44). I'm not saying the only difference between your lousy 550 and my good 760 are entirely due to preparation but I'm sure a large part of it is due to me having studied how the questions are constructed and what they are looking for. If you notice, that's 210 points you lost on me only because of the verbal section.

(From what I recall, the GRE verbal section had questions that required a more advanced knowledge of the English language, such as synonyms/antonyms and other "pick the word that doesn't belong" questions that seemed somewhat arbitrary to me at the time.)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Cabro57 and Nink,

I just got rejected from u of minnesota.
I think mostly it is because of my GMAT score.
^^"
From your advice , I need to improve my score.
But it will be my fifth attempts. =_="

I heard that number of times of taking the test affect the application decision.
Is it true or should i look for "alternative ways" of a becoming professor?
+_+
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
I am not expert in PHD in Accounting but I am pretty sure that (just like other PHD subjects in business) PHD programs will require GMAT score. This is because the PHD program is offered through that school's business school.

Whether it's master's or doctoral program, both program will require GMAT score. For PHD programs at top schools, GMAT score average is going to be higher than master's program.

This is a hurdle that you have to overcome if you really want to become a professor.

There are schools (probably not ranked) who hire CPAs with only master's degrees to teach accounting classes but these professors are not going to be up for tenure.

Also, for MAcc or MSA programs, most schools will take your highest score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
GMATpp wrote:
I heard that number of times of taking the test affect the application decision.
Is it true or should i look for "alternative ways" of a becoming professor?
+_+

Any time you have more than one score on your score report, you need an explanation as to why the initial score was lower/how it got better (or why it didn't); then it's up to the person evaluating your profile to determine whether that explanation is credible. If you have 5 scores on your report, it gets tougher and tougher to come up with 5 good explanations. Given your good quant score there's probably no question that you can potentially go through the math parts of the PhD program, but if your verbal score is consistently low, it may be tough to convince people that you still have the actual verbal skills needed to become a professor (in the US anyway).

More importantly, at your stage (wrote GMAT 4 times, pondering whether to go for a 5th), you need to figure out how you're going to improve your verbal score significantly the 5th time around before you even think about registering one more time. Unless you prepare yourself very differently, I can't see how your score is going to be much different. It doesn't come down to luck.

As for "alternative ways" of becoming a professor, that probably means becoming a different type of professor as well. In your case, the bad news is that those alternative definitions (e.g. lecturer at community college as opposed to tenure-track at a research university or state school) will forgive candidates who are less proficient in math/quant more easily than those who aren't good communicators, so that might be tougher for you. I'm not saying you aren't a good communicator but the GMAT verbal score is the least noisy signal in your profile to assess that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much for your help both Cabro57 and Nink ,

I need one more advice.Now I'm in the US.
I'm studying English and trying to improve my english communication skills.
Between one year of studying in the US or go back to Thailand to have more work exprience, which one
will add more value to my profile?

Thank you in advance
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMATpp wrote:
Thank you so much for your help both Cabro57 and Nink ,

I need one more advice.Now I'm in the US.
I'm studying English and trying to improve my english communication skills.
Between one year of studying in the US or go back to Thailand to have more work exprience, which one
will add more value to my profile?

Thank you in advance

If you want to become a teacher in the US (or want to be admitted to a PhD program in the US), one year of work experience is pretty much irrelevant. So staying here and improving those GMAT and TOEFL scores, along with communication skills, should be more useful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just wanna update that I took GMAT and got 640 (Q48 V30).
It is improving.
:)
I will take the test again, and hope it will be my last time
I aim for 680 to 700+

Is 640 good enough for Boston college?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMATpp wrote:
It is improving.
I aim for 680 to 700+

It will be the 6th time you write the GMAT? I hope you've thought about those 'good explanations' I mentioned earlier in this thread.

There's no PhD in Accounting at BC.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
GMATpp wrote:
It is improving.
I aim for 680 to 700+

Congrats! 640 GMAT is a competitive score for BC's MS Accounting program in my opinion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Concentration: Finance, entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth, Stern, Haas
Send PM
GMATpp, have you considered CPA? I think it will add as much value as master's degree in accounting though I am not 100% sure about that.

Regarding other alternative schools you have been asking - 2008-public-accounting-report-ms-in-accounting-ranking-74038.html check it out
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts