Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: Yale '19 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Should I cancel my score on Tuesday if lower? [#permalink]
Well I won't be sending them out to anyone. I won't be applying for 3 years. But what I am trying to ask is whether I should keep a score that is UNDER 680 if my QUANT is higher? The reasoning for this would be that for some schools, I can show my highest quant and my highest verbal. I know this isn't the case for many schools, but I want to weigh the costs of receiving a lower OVERALL score for a higher QUANT score.

Also, the policy is retroactive, so no matter what, a cancelled score will not be reported at all. But obviously, a score that is kept will still show up on the report.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I think Tuck is the only elite school that formally combines verbal and quant from separate scores. For schools that don't combine verbal and quant, I don't think it matters. They're basically looking for a score to report to the rankings. They aren't thinking: "oh he scored higher on verbal for test 1 and higher on quant for test 2. That means he is well rounded." They take the highest score and report that, and look at the splits for that. In general, any score over 600+ will show that you can handle the b-school curriculum quite well. If you are insistent on a number though, I would say Q49 (80 percentile) would be a good score to keep if your overall score is lower than 680 on your retake.

Yes, that policy is retroactive but only for reports sent after July 19th. For reports sent before July 19th, the cancelled score will still show as "cancelled."
Manager
Manager
Send PM
As an aside though, I think worrying about the negative consequences right before the test is just bad mojo. I have faith that you won't even have to worry about this dilemma because you'll score higher. You'll kill it dude, dont sweat it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi bluepulaski1,

I agree that you shouldn't try to overthink this. Your 680/Q46 is already competitive, so you can apply to any Schools that interest you. If you're thinking about applying to any Top Finance Programs or other Specialty Programs, then a higher Quant score would probably help you out (so that would be something to look for in your score results). Otherwise, you can keep or cancel the score as you see fit. Business School Admissions Officers are savvy - they're going to look at your OVERALL application and judge you on that (and a third part-higher/part-lower GMAT score won't really make a difference).

Kvazar, to answer your question - you're describing the "old" GMAT policy. The current policy is that you can see your Unofficial Scores BEFORE you choose whether to cancel them or keep them.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi bluepulaski1,

I agree that you shouldn't try to overthink this. Your 680/Q46 is already competitive, so you can apply to any Schools that interest you. If you're thinking about applying to any Top Finance Programs or other Specialty Programs, then a higher Quant score would probably help you out (so that would be something to look for in your score results). Otherwise, you can keep or cancel the score as you see fit. Business School Admissions Officers are savvy - they're going to look at your OVERALL application and judge you on that (and a third part-higher/part-lower GMAT score won't really make a difference).

Kvazar, to answer your question - you're describing the "old" GMAT policy. The current policy is that you can see your Unofficial Scores BEFORE you choose whether to cancel them or keep them.

Rich

Thanks for the feedback. I'd have to think that since Tuck considers highest of each (even though you can't combine them to equal a 700), it would be smart to keep a lower score with a higher Q if that happens. But as you said, I am probably over thinking it. I have consistently hit the 84-88% in Verbal for the past 6 weeks or so. Just doing some final tuning up over the next two days.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi bluepulaski1,

Rich

GOT 700!!! Unfortunately a big-time imbalance even though I spent the last 3 weeks primarily studying Quant. I got a 700 (Q44, V41). quant was only 57th percentile, while verbal was 94th. I also got my highest IR score (7). Hopefully I don't have to re-take for better balance. Start work on Thursday.
GMAT Club Bot