Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 09:54 It is currently 11 May 2024, 09:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT Date: 05-05-2014
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Should I go for PGP or PGPX? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bad reason for getting a Ph.D. You also do not need an MBA to get a Ph.D. Your goals are nowhere near defined, so many Ph.D programs would pass you up. And I also think many Ph.D programs require GRE and do not accept GMAT (i could be wrong).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [2]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
Kudos
flower07 wrote:
Hello guys,

I am preparing for GMAT since January 1 2014. It is my new year resolution... to get 750+ :)

The background:
    I am 30 years old from India
    I have 9.6 years of experience in IT.
    I have done my Bachelor degree in Maths, MS in Software Engineering, PGDIT, a 2 year Post Graduate Diploma program in IT
    Have completed 5+ Industry standard certifications for Software Testing and Test management
    I also own an online business for about 2 years now - Into Internet Marketing

Career Goal in life: To get a PhD in Management (organizational behavior is my primary interest area but not really fixed if that is what I want to do my research in) and become a CEO of my own company (OR) be a CXO for someone's company

So, to do a PhD I first need a MBA. However, a friend confused me today :D She said why do you want to do Post Graduate Programs in Management. With you experience, you can go for Executive MBA which is valued even more in the current market.

Besides, I am not financially too good to spend twice - once on PGP and again on PGPX (Executive MBA).

Any advice? Also, what is the eligibility for PGPX? Is 10 years enough? Is GMAT still required for PGPX. What are some decent B Schools that provide Executive MBA courses?

Thank you!

Hi,

To give you some additional information of Indian education system - Only UGC recognised universities can give you a post graduate degree or Phd.
I am not sure which all Indian universities accept GMAT for their MBA admission. All IIMs , ISBs and top 20 B schools, excluding FMS new Delhi, are not UGC recognised, but they accept GMAT. So they run parallel courses PGDM for MBA, fellowship for PhD. So even if you complete fellowship, you can not add officially a 'Dr' in your name.

More importantly, Phd is for those who are interested in research or education field, a company CEO/CXO doesn't need a PhD.
PGP and PGPX are more or less same in India - the have roughly same number of teaching hours, but PGPX crams all those hours in 1 year, and PGPX 1 and half year + internships etc. Hence, PGP is more elaborative in out of class activities and have younger participants, who are still in process to explore their career.

At your situation, it will be difficult to adjust with young PGP class (though it depends on you), so PGPX sounds good option. But some institutes do not take PGPX qualification valid for PhD requirement, so you need to check where you are going to do Phd.

Also, be prepared PhD takes longer to complete (>2-3 years), and if you are doing from some Tier-II and Tier-III university, be ready for corrupt practices. To say honestly, this will give you only degree and hardly any knowledge.

If you can qualify JSR fellowship, you will get INR 20K approx/month as fellowship to fund your PhD.

Your friend is correct in saying PGPX got more demand in market, but it has nothing to do with degree. PGPX candidates are experienced, hence they are preferred over PGPs.

Moreover, GMAT Score is a means, 750 doesn't guarantee Harvard. For you, I would say keep on exploring your career options and settle your target, otherwise you will be travelling in a fancy road that will lead to nowhere.

Alternatively, PhD from US/Europe/UK/Australia are good options - you don't need MBA, and at most universities you will get scholarship. But the competition is intense, they prefer younger applicants.

Hopefully, I helped.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAUnderDOG wrote:
Bad reason for getting a Ph.D. You also do not need an MBA to get a Ph.D. Your goals are nowhere near defined, so many Ph.D programs would pass you up. And I also think many Ph.D programs require GRE and do not accept GMAT (i could be wrong).

Heya,

Thanks for your reply!

I am sorry but I do not see how that is a bad reason. I am the first one in my family to even go to high school. I am proud of that fact! and I want to be a Dr before I die because I would be the first in my whole family... (forget family... whole generation for that matter). So, I do not see why that is a bad reason. I personally believe ... Not everyone who want to do a MBA or a PhD or wanting to become a CEO should necessarily have a "I want to change the world" reason. Every reason counts ... Lets say I want to do MBA because that will make me feel happier - That reason is as valid as saying I want to create a change! That is my humble opinion!

Plus, are you sure I do not need a MBA for a PhD in Management? I do not know of any university that will let me enroll for PhD in Management without a MBA. I have a 2 years PGDIT certificate from https://scdl.net/ Still they won't unless I get a MBA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ConnectTheDots,

Thanks for your time and reply! I really appreciate it.

I agree with you on - "Phd is for those who are interested in research or education field, a company CEO/CXO doesn't need a PhD. "

However, To become a CEO, I need exposure + Finance + Knowledge. I believed a PhD could give me all three plus I could feel proud of my achievements :)

Also you say

Quote:
Also, be prepared PhD takes longer to complete (>2-3 years), and if you are doing from some Tier-II and Tier-III university, be ready for corrupt practices. To say honestly, this will give you only degree and hardly any knowledge.

What do you mean by Corrupt Practices?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
flower07 wrote:
ConnectTheDots,

Thanks for your time and reply! I really appreciate it.

I agree with you on - "Phd is for those who are interested in research or education field, a company CEO/CXO doesn't need a PhD. "

However, To become a CEO, I need exposure + Finance + Knowledge. I believed a PhD could give me all three plus I could feel proud of my achievements :)

Also you say

Quote:

What do you mean by Corrupt Practices?

Corrupt Practices - Some guides/professors expect personal work and monetary benefits, and help to plagiarise. I am not saying it is true everywhere, but I know cases for few universities. Juts trying to give you heads up; Before enrolling please interact with the current PhD students.
My post is for Indian education, and based on 1st hand information. However, I would not compel you to take my words as final, instead I would like you to find out yourself by digging dipper.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts