Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
SIM / MBF St. Gallen 2016. Who will apply? [#permalink]
Hi, guys!

I am going to apply to the MBF this year,

Could anyone please evaluate my profile?
Russian
Top2 Russian math university but not really known in Switzerland
GMAT 720(49q/40v)
TOEFL 107
GPA in swiss system about 4.8-4.9/6.0
6 months of insurance internship,
currently working in private banking

Thanks!

Originally posted by timlooksfor800 on 15 Feb 2016, 07:49.
Last edited by timlooksfor800 on 22 Feb 2016, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: SIM / MBF St. Gallen 2016. Who will apply? [#permalink]
Ruhm

Today I received an invitation for an interview with a member of the SIM-HSG Management Unit. Could you tell me a bit more about the content of the interview and how to prepare?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
SIM / MBF St. Gallen 2016. Who will apply? [#permalink]
I had the SIM interview already and was admitted last week <3 My advice would be: You know why you applied, you know what you want and you know why you made certain decisions during your life. Be sure that you are able to explain that. Otherwise, just be relaxed and yourself. SIM conducts the interview, because they want to get to know you. It can also be a great chance to mention things you could not adress in the official application documents. Cheers and good luck! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Cookiemonster2016 wrote:
I had the SIM interview already and was admitted last week <3 My advice would be: You know why you applied, you know what you want and you know why you made certain decisions during your life. Be sure that you are able to explain that. Otherwise, just be relaxed and yourself. SIM conducts the interview, because they want to get to know you. It can also be a great chance to mention things you could not adress in the official application documents. Cheers and good luck! :)

Congratulations on your admission Cookiemonster2016 ! Will do my best to join you ;) Thanks for your advice!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GRE 1: Q167 V155
GPA: 3.52
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
All materials ready except for the motivation letter (being proofread).
Will apply in several days.

Wish all applicants good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Congrats Cookiemonster2016, I look forward to seeing you next semester (as I will be one of the creepy old SIM students whom you somehow meet again and again around town).

Sorry Menken, lots of work and interview preparation grabbed all my attention these last weeks/months. How did your interview go?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ruhm wrote:
Sorry Menken, lots of work and interview preparation grabbed all my attention these last weeks/months. How did your interview go?

The interview was rather relaxed. No brain teasers or case studies, just an in depth discussion of my experience and motivation. Got my letter of acceptance about two weeks ago. Thrilled to become part of the program next fall!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi there,

I'm also applying for the SIM.
GMAT 730, GPA 5.5/6, so that makes me 5 points short for the 70-point-direct-admission and therefore I need 15/20 in CV+Motivation if I understand their admission criteria correctly.
I'm Swiss and my undergraduate degree is from a decent but not top-tier French speaking uni. My exchange semester was at a top 10 European school. I don't have much relevant work experience, although I worked part-time at uni to finance my studies.

What do you think about my chances?

Oh, and what about the motivation letter template: I found it rather confusing, do you convert the PDF into a docx and then answer the questions on the converted file (in this case why didn't they upload a docx in the first place?) or do you just copy the questions into a new document and answer the questions there with a different layout?

Hope to get admitted soon and meet you on campus! 8-)

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
LateAgain wrote:
Hi there,

I'm also applying for the SIM.
GMAT 730, GPA 5.5/6, so that makes me 5 points short for the 70-point-direct-admission and therefore I need 15/20 in CV+Motivation if I understand their admission criteria correctly.
I'm Swiss and my undergraduate degree is from a decent but not top-tier French speaking uni. My exchange semester was at a top 10 European school. I don't have much relevant work experience, although I worked part-time at uni to finance my studies.

What do you think about my chances?

Oh, and what about the motivation letter template: I found it rather confusing, do you convert the PDF into a docx and then answer the questions on the converted file (in this case why didn't they upload a docx in the first place?) or do you just copy the questions into a new document and answer the questions there with a different layout?

Hope to get admitted soon and meet you on campus! 8-)

Cheers

1. It is hard to predict the possibility, not only because it depends heavily on how well do you perform in other materials(CV, Motivation Letter, and I remember that for SIM an interview is also compulsory), but also SIM is a much more competitive program comparing to MBF (by which I was admitted).

Just prepare as the best as you could in these parts :-D

2. The template is a PDF which allows readers to input information directly using Adobe PDF Reader, so you don't need to convert it into docx. You can write your draft using Microsoft Word and then copy your essay into the PDF, just as what I did.

Hope to see you in HSG campus :lol:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have been accepted in the mean time! :-D

Would be cool to connect already in advance with the other students - is there a SIM/MBF facebook group?

See you soon! 8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
LateAgain wrote:

Would be cool to connect already in advance with the other students - is there a SIM/MBF facebook group?

See you soon! 8-)

Here the post included info about the MBF 2016 FB group, but no SIM group yet:

university-of-st-gallen-hsg-mbf-2016-intake-216197.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
LateAgain wrote:

See you soon! 8-)

I created a group last year in June/July for my intake and was then asked to take it down (the university can be quite stingy w.r.t. it's intellectual property). Granted they did not change their procedure, the programme will create an official one later in the summer. Usually students create an unofficial one quickly after that where most of the stuff happens. In the meanwhile I would recommend being in contact with your buddies and maybe meeting them in person before the semester starts. It's always good fun meeting the newbies (from our side :-D ).

In addition to that, I would recommend getting to know the MBF people, too. We had some events/workshops with them and they can be a quite interesting bunch.

In any case, congrats again to the admitted and I look forward to meeting you in September (I'm probably going to be the guy with colored hair).

Ruhm

PS: Yes, Natalie, I know you'll read this, and yes, we have a secret group in which we can talk about you and the rest of the office :wink:
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
LateAgain wrote:

See you soon! 8-)

Hi , "LateAgain"... Nathalie from the SIM here ;-) Maybe we are already in touch...
Congratulations on your admission!

We do have an official SIM group since April already- its access is exclusive to confirmed students, so if you already sent your Acceptance Form, you should receive an invitation to join soon- if not already.

Ruhm wrote:
PS: Yes, Natalie, I know you'll read this, and yes, we have a secret group in which we can talk about you and the rest of the office :wink:

I've always known this... :wink: :wink: 8-)

See you both in September! (Ruhm... colored hair? :shock: )
Intern
Intern
Send PM
NNSIM wrote:

Hello NNSIM and welcome to the forum :wink:
GMAT Club Bot