Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Stockholm School of Economics (SSE) 2014 intake [#permalink]
mirri wrote:
Hi Henry

I applied to SSE as well. Didn't take the GRE, but instead took the GMAT so I can't really help you on your question. 163 on gre sounds like a competitive score for SSE - congrats!

I find it more disconcerting that they have not sent any email regarding the status of the documents I have submitted. Do you know where I can check if they have received the documents ?

I have applied to Aalto university in Finland as well - and they promptly let me know that all my documents are in order when they received it.

They sent me a message through University Admissions (column messages) "We have received the documents you submitted in order to complete your application for the autumn semester 2014" and updated my application to "in progress"
However it took them maybe 2 weeks after receiving the documents.
I'm quite satisfied with the Quant score, however I'm worried about the Analytical writing as they say they recommend at least 4,5 and I only have 4...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ahh okay I see "in progress" on the admissions website, which I guess is a good thing.
Sent my docs on the 24th, and it reached them on the 28th of jan. I am applying for the investment mgmt/corp fin track as well!

Anyway my profile: undergrad in finance from an Asian university, Did an exchange to Oslo, Norway and loved it. Which is why I applied to SSE since it's in Scandinavia as well! Oh and a 760 on the gmat which hopefully gets me in.

Initially I thought of applying to MIT and Princeton in USA but after looking at their financial engineering programs, they seemed far too mathematical for me as I don't have a background in university-level mathematics. Only thing about Sweden which slightly irks me is the tuition fee cost since I'm not European... It is quite pricey compared to aalto (where there is no tuition fee at all).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HenryCZ wrote:
Hey guys,
I'm monitoring this forum for some time but opened my account only minutes ago in order to open this topic.

Has anyone of you applied to the SSE for the 2014 intake? We might share here some info...

I would start with my own profile.
Firstly, I didn't take the GMAT but GRE with a result of 163 in the Quant part and 4.0 in Analytical writing. However, they require (or say recommend, but what the hell does that mean?) a higher score in the analytical part:

GRE score (Quantitative) of 148 or more.
For both formats the recommended score for
Analytical Writing part - in the range of 4.5-5.0 or higher.​

How strict do you think they are gonna be about the analytical part?

Besides that, I have no working experience but have completed my erasmus exchange in addition to the summer university programme. I don't know if this has any value for them...
I applied to the Corporate Finance/Investment Management master programme.

H

The average quant GRE was 163 last year for the corp fin/ I M program, so you're definitely safe on that front. Since the average was 163 there will be applicants both below and above that score. I scored a 161 in quant and I feel fairly comfortable. For the analytical writing part, I scored 4 too and I emailed SSE. They said it did not matter much in the admission process, so you should not worry about that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mirri wrote:
Ahh okay I see "in progress" on the admissions website, which I guess is a good thing.
Sent my docs on the 24th, and it reached them on the 28th of jan. I am applying for the investment mgmt/corp fin track as well!

Anyway my profile: undergrad in finance from an Asian university, Did an exchange to Oslo, Norway and loved it. Which is why I applied to SSE since it's in Scandinavia as well! Oh and a 760 on the gmat which hopefully gets me in.

Initially I thought of applying to MIT and Princeton in USA but after looking at their financial engineering programs, they seemed far too mathematical for me as I don't have a background in university-level mathematics. Only thing about Sweden which slightly irks me is the tuition fee cost since I'm not European... It is quite pricey compared to aalto (where there is no tuition fee at all).

Thats a fantastic GMAT score. There is no doubt that you will get an offer. I believe SSE provides a few scholarships if I'm not mistaken. You could check that out on their website. Also, depending on your citizenship you can apply for SI institute scholarships. What citizenship do you have ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ssecorpfin wrote:
The average quant GRE was 163 last year for the corp fin/ I M program, so you're definitely safe on that front. Since the average was 163 there will be applicants both below and above that score. I scored a 161 in quant and I feel fairly comfortable. For the analytical writing part, I scored 4 too and I emailed SSE. They said it did not matter much in the admission process, so you should not worry about that.

That's a great news! Especially with the analytical writing, I still feel bad about that, cause it's an unnecessary flaw but I cannot do anything about it anymore...

I have one more doubt. I'm still not sure which university should I choose if I get accepted to more of them. My top choices are SSE, HSG (University of St.Gallen) and EDHEC. I was also considering applying to the HEC but I guess my chances are fairly low so at this time I think I'm not even going to try.
From my research, I think that HSG and SSE are nearly on the same level and it's very difficult to say which one is better. HSG is supposed to be perfect in the German speaking world, but SSE should be better internationally (say London). And even though EDHEC is great in France especially for finance, I think that despite the FT ranking, it's a slightly worse choice.

What do you think about it? What are your other options?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HenryCZ wrote:
ssecorpfin wrote:

That's a great news! Especially with the analytical writing, I still feel bad about that, cause it's an unnecessary flaw but I cannot do anything about it anymore...

I have one more doubt. I'm still not sure which university should I choose if I get accepted to more of them. My top choices are SSE, HSG (University of St.Gallen) and EDHEC. I was also considering applying to the HEC but I guess my chances are fairly low so at this time I think I'm not even going to try.
From my research, I think that HSG and SSE are nearly on the same level and it's very difficult to say which one is better. HSG is supposed to be perfect in the German speaking world, but SSE should be better internationally (say London). And even though EDHEC is great in France especially for finance, I think that despite the FT ranking, it's a slightly worse choice.

What do you think about it? What are your other options?

From what I heard, SSE doesnt command AS much respect in London as people perceive. I've applied CASS in london and University of St.Gallen as well but i doubt I'll get into st.gallen with a 161 GRE. My first choice is Cass followed by St.Gallen and then SSE
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.28
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi,

I applied for SSE- CF/IM specialization as well. Has anyone received any information regarding the admission decisions? In thestudentroom.uk, one guy got the offer from SSE.
I am still worrying about my chance at SSE. Nothing really stands out.
My profile is as follows:
-GMAT 700 (Q50-V35, AWA 5.5, IR 7)
-CFA Level 2 Candidate (passed Level 1 on Dec, 2013)
-Graduated from an Asian university.
-Had a short internship in the related field.

Originally posted by lequanftu26 on 13 Feb 2014, 09:56.
Last edited by lequanftu26 on 13 Feb 2014, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lequanftu26 wrote:
Hi,

I applied for SSE- CF/IM specialization as well. Has anyone received any information regarding the admission decisions? In thestudentroom.uk, one guys got the offer from SSE.
I am still worrying about my chance at SSE. Nothing really stands out.
My profile is as follows:
-GMAT 700 (Q50-V35, AWA 5.5, IR 7)
-CFA Level 2 Candidate (passed Level 1 on Dec, 2013)
-Graduate from an Asian university.
-Had a short internship in the related field.

They only give out early decisions to European students. International students find out mid march as their decision often depends on scholarships from si institute. i'm guessing you have applied for it too
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Henry,

HSG has a good reputation in Asia - better than SSE at least. This might be due to the marketing efforts of HSG and/or the large number of Swiss banks in Asia. It is quite well known as a top biz and econs university from Switzerland.

Hey lequan, I think your quant score is amazing! A 50 on the quant is really high - that's even higher than mine and I have a 760 on the gmat. I'm sure that's a major plus point when applying for a Quant- related field like finance. You should be feel quite confident :)
Hope you wrote a good motivation letter which explains the non-academic areas where you excel since you say that nothing stands out academically.

I personally feel the 700 on the gmat with that quant score gives you very good chances to get in. Do rmb that's 90th percentile!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
mirri wrote:
Hey Henry,

HSG has a good reputation in Asia - better than SSE at least. This might be due to the marketing efforts of HSG and/or the large number of Swiss banks in Asia. It is quite well known as a top biz and econs university from Switzerland.

Hey lequan, I think your quant score is amazing! A 50 on the quant is really high - that's even higher than mine and I have a 760 on the gmat. I'm sure that's a major plus point when applying for a Quant- related field like finance. You should be feel quite confident :)
Hope you wrote a good motivation letter which explains the non-academic areas where you excel since you say that nothing stands out academically.

I personally feel the 700 on the gmat with that quant score gives you very good chances to get in. Do rmb that's 90th percentile!

Thank you for you kind words, mirri. But I still prefer your 760 and your insane verbal score. :lol:
Did you apply for any other schools?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
mirri wrote:

Out of curisoity, how come you didn't apply to the Norwegian School of Economics?
They don't have a specific finance masters, but their Masters in International Business has a fair bit of finance courses you can take, and half of the classes are made up of electives anyhow.
Best bit is they're tuition free.
The average graduate compensation of 96,000 USD is nice too.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Helsinki is cheaper and it's another country to explore. Alrdy been to a number of places in Norway when I was there.

Applied to aalto, SSE and finishing up my motivation letter to HSG this weekend. Was considering hec as well but I've since changed my mind.

Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Fair enough. If you haven't been already doing this, LinkedIn + School's Name, and getting to the employment statistics is pretty helpful. For example, SSE had about 120~ students who worked for MBB from 2008 to 2013. Pretty nice for a school holding 1650~ students at any given time. I feel like Helsinki School of Economics was a good brand, but Aalto's just hard to take seriously when it's called Aalto Biz.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Hi,

I've applied for the SSE Master's in Economics program.

My profile:
- Economics Bachelors from Asian University
- GRE: 167 in Quant and 4 in Analytical Writing
- CFA Level 2 candidate (June 2014 examination)

I've applied for the SI scholarship.

SSE is my first choice, so keeping fingers crossed that I get admission and scholarship! :)
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 53
Schools: Tuck '17
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Hi everyone, does SSE accept Mechanical Engineering graduates? Or only Econ, Management majors? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It depends on the courses you took - if you didn't take courses in econs or finance or business admin or accounting, then sadly you don't meet the criteria of 90 credits in social sciences and 30 credits in finance/accounting/econs.

You can check the exact details on their program website.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
a03b wrote:
Hi everyone, does SSE accept Mechanical Engineering graduates? Or only Econ, Management majors? Thanks.

Hi a03b,

You can apply for the Masters in General Management.

They require: A bachelor degree in a subject other than Business or Economics from a university recognized by the Ministry of Education in the country in which the degree has been awarded.

For the other programs, they require Economics/Business background.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts